October Tour

August 15th, 2007

Hey, everyone. Sorry I’ve been gone so long, but it’s, like, summertime and the living is easy. Plus, I’ve been reading for the National Book Awards, usually a book a day. Doesn’t always leave time for other stuff.

But the crack publicity team in charge of the Extras tour has not been resting! They’ve been planning many exciting appearances (and tedious flights) for the first half of October. The schedule looks something like this . . .

October 2-4: Chicago, IL
October 6-9: San Francisco, CA
October 11: Seattle, WA
October 14-15: Lexington, KY

Update: I will also be doing some stuff around NYC the week of October 22. I forgot to put that in the schedule because, you know, I live here half the year.

If no town near you is on the list, I sincerely apologize. Alas, that’s the way it is. The factors that go into a tour like this are many and arcane. Are there indie bookstores in a city? Trade shows? Librarian conferences happening?

It’s all very mysterious to me. I go where I’m told.

But I’m happy that I’ll be seeing at least four cities’ worth of you guys. This is my first real tour, and I’m both excited and nervous. Luckily, Justine has agreed to go along with me, so I won’t be lonely on all those airplanes.

Obviously, this is just a rough outline. I’ll post the actual appearance times and locations when they’re confirmed.

In the meantime, I’ll be posting more often for the rest of the summer. That snooze was enjoyable, but it’s all over now. And yes, the samplers giveaway will continue at some point, and other surprises as well.

Aya ASCI image courtesy of Text-Image.com.

115 Responses to “October Tour”

Cimarron Parker
    August 15th, 2007 04:58

That’s so cool! I missed you in Austin earlier this year, but I wanted to go. I can’t wait for Extras!

Isabella
    August 15th, 2007 05:08

AHHHH!! OMG, I’ve been checking back at the blog countless times a day these past few days hoping for an update!! =D And I got second post. SO excited about the upcoming Extras release–Aya Fuse sounds simply amazing. ^^ That pic is fawesome! (Just finished reading The Last Days a few mintues ago.) Can’t wait for the samplers contest to continue–Fexecellent!

August 15th, 2007 05:09

Sorry you missed me. There’s some talk of Justine and I going to TLA next year. Which is in . . . Dallas?

Hmm, the commenting is a bit slower these days. (heh)

Sarah
    August 15th, 2007 05:15

Hello. It sucks that you won’t be coming near Baltimore, but then again ‘The City That Reads’ (according to our ex-mayor’s city slogan) doesn’t seem to read that much…..

Bri-la
    August 15th, 2007 05:45

(he he he, city that reads.) WOO HOO!! Go chicago!! i really hope i can go see u up close and personal (heh heh heh). i probly sound like just another crazy fan. o well. again i say, i really REALLY hope i can go. and that pic of aya is amazing!
    CANT WAIT FOR EXTRAS!!!!!

August 15th, 2007 05:46

darn it, scott’s not coming to New York! not even the city…i was hoping that he would b/c i might’ve been able to convince my parents to take me there for a weekend. and i think chicago is out of the question…

and fawesome pic! now like everyone is saying—-i mean writing—-”fawesome” but it’s just fun to say—-i mean write! oh, the confusion.

lol i linked yet another site w/ my name, another great band!

one more thing: arrgh, great—-now “Summertime” is stuck in my head…we had to sing that song in chorus last year…i despise it…at least the version we did.

Bri-la
    August 15th, 2007 05:48

:( just check the schedule for oct 2-4 and it figures ur gonna b in chicago smack in the middle of the school week. *sigh* o well maybe there is still a chance.

Bri-la
    August 15th, 2007 05:50

wow commenting is really slow nowadays.

Brandi
    August 15th, 2007 05:53

Chicago! I might be able to make it..

kheidi-la
    August 15th, 2007 05:59

i might be able to talk my mom in letting me going… i hope hope hope… hmmm this is soo happy making!!! and i cant believe you posted!!! happy dance…

Kailyx
    August 15th, 2007 06:00

The events page of a book store in my town claims you’re going to be here (Naperville: Chicago suburb) on the second. So I hope I can see you then!

sierra
    August 15th, 2007 06:07

i really wanted to see you on tour but maybe if yall have another one i will be abke to go =]

sierra, tx

August 15th, 2007 06:10

Ah, Taylor, we will be doing some stuff in New York. See the new update.

August 15th, 2007 06:19

whoa i was just having some fun w/ the text-image site—that is so incredibly cool! but now i have to get back to work on my party invitations…ya gotta love summer…pool/beach parties galore! hey maybe i could use the site with my invites…idk if it’d work, but that would be really fawesome

Chelsea-wa
    August 15th, 2007 06:25

aww, no appearances in my state. =( that picture is totally cool though. ;D

August 15th, 2007 06:26

whoops! that what i get for not refreshing before commenting, i probably wouldn’t have missed it otherwise. actually i probably would but w/e.

well according to my mom’s calendar, i have a dentist appointment on the 22nd (random factoid of my life). i can’t wait for the release!)

Kayla-wa
    August 15th, 2007 06:59

awwww youre not coming anywhere close to where i live!!! (anywhere that my parents would let me go) but considering i live in the smallest state, and the the smallest town in it…its not surprising. but the pic of aya is kool!!! i luv her name!

Sylvia
    August 15th, 2007 07:02

An update, finally, haha. Yess, I just might make it on the Chicago dates but I think it’s on a weekday of school, so unless it’s during after school hours, I really don’t know. ah well. At least Extras will be out that month! w00t

gigi-la
    August 15th, 2007 07:12

:) yay! ur coming to seattle!!!! i only live a little bit away from seattle…im soooo happy, both u and stephenie meyer are coming to seattle, now i just need to convince my parents to let me go to both! lol i cant wait for extras and i love the pic!

August 15th, 2007 07:16

nvm, that idea totally didn’t work. i’m not computer-savvy enough for that!

and kayla-wa, my town doesn’t even have 1,000 people in it (except in the summer) so don’t feel bad! and if scott’s in the city on a school day i’ll never be able to go.

August 15th, 2007 07:46

ooh…i just read the last (okay, 2nd to last) sentence of the post—and actually comprehended it—for the first time: OTHER surprises!?!?!?!? now i’m even more super-happy-peppy! gosh i can’t wait for the release, but at the same time i want the contests to go on forever!

intensegreeneyes
    August 15th, 2007 07:57

i have school an october 2nd-4th :’(
    that text image thing is sooo cool. (i fell in love with it after i saw it on skull a day)

Isabella
    August 15th, 2007 08:00

*is totally freaking out because of the one minute time lapse*
    Hmm, I’m definitely going to have to try and get out to San Fransciso 6-9th~ish then. All the other locations are too far away :(

*Jessie*
    August 15th, 2007 08:01

I like the test image!! I wish you could’ve come to Florida!!!

megan-la
    August 15th, 2007 08:05

ooh, i’d totally go to the chicago one. but, alas, school……..and the fact that i live about 7 and a half hours away from it…………….so sad-making……oh well. anyways, YOU ROCK!!!!11one!!!!1!!! lol

intensegreeneyes
    August 15th, 2007 08:27

what TIMES will you be in chicago???? I dont want to skip school (i will if I have to but really dont want to)

KawaiiOkashi
    August 15th, 2007 09:28

Tours sound exciting!

I wish I could go, but you know I’m off in Nebraska.

I’m so happy I think my dad pre-ordered Extras the other day.

Kayla-wa
    August 15th, 2007 09:32

yea i guess i shuldn’t, b/c someday i will have my chance to meet Scott… :)

bnicki
    August 15th, 2007 11:53

No one ever comes to Columbus, GA i live in alabama but thats like right next door. And cool pic by the way making the cover by saying Aya Fuse over and over again…if you didn’t already have a pattern for the Uglies tetrology that would have a been a cool over.

emzie
    August 15th, 2007 11:54

New York… kind of close to me. Glad you updated! :}

bnicki
    August 15th, 2007 11:55

Oh and the comments are slower cause everyone is in school probably. Summer is over for us…sadly but i don’t care cause its my last year Yaaaaaaa! I think i deserve a sampler for that.

Courtney
    August 15th, 2007 11:56

awwww, man, you’re not comeing near me! :( oh well.
    luv the aya text pic! it’s so fool!!!

August 15th, 2007 12:02

Darn! Not comming by me either! Whaaa…owell maybe some other time you can come up to the 10,000 lakes!

49 days until EXTRAS!! AHHHHH or
    1 month 18 days AHHH!! or
    4,233,600 seconds AHHH or
    70,560 minutes Ahhh OR
    1176 hours AHHHH or
    7 weeks

Isabella
    August 15th, 2007 12:14

^^ So precise, Kadie-Wa! :)

August 15th, 2007 12:40

Hehe, I know! ;)

Kadie-Wa

the pretty minded ugly aka Amy-la (tpmuakaal)
    August 15th, 2007 13:02

so cool, and sorry i wasnt on today, aol wasnt working!

August 15th, 2007 13:27

Hey, how was ur third day? Third, right?

Dani
    August 15th, 2007 14:19

Scott,
    You should just have a drawing. Maybe once a week? Anyone can enter once a week and you name stays in the pot. It would be easy, and fair. Maybe you even have to answer a trivia question to be entered? Just some ideas.
    Dani

kheidi-la
    August 15th, 2007 14:26

I hope i can go (still havnt asked mom yet but working on what to say an dhow to say it…) she not a big fan of chicago but i must go … at least school not a problem (homeschooled) so maybe i hav a chance… maybe… lol

kheidi-la
    August 15th, 2007 14:28

I like Dani’s idea!!!!

Kaylee
    August 15th, 2007 15:00

Scott,
    I’m so glad to see your finally back to posting regularly!! That’s happy-making! =) And I really wanted to say thank-you for the sampler, I just got it in the mail a few days ago, and I am dying to know what happens next, because it is great so far!!

Its a bummer your not coming to my state though… =( maybe your next big tour!!

Rebecca
    August 15th, 2007 16:05

wow, only four. for some reason, i thought it’d be more. are these the only places you’ll be going, or will there be more added?

yay TLA!! though i dunno if i’m going. but i’d like to.

kelsey
    August 15th, 2007 18:18

poor me, no visits to Oregon. oh well, maybe next time but probably not, Oregon is often skipped but on the bright side Extras is almost out, kinda. There’s only 20 days of summer vacation left (sigh) no more sleeping in till 1:00 p.m and then I’m off to high school, i hear being a freshman is fun!

Jess
    August 15th, 2007 23:07

wow, that text image rocks.
    (i nearly wrote rox. how lame of myself)

i’d like to see you in australia again :)

August 16th, 2007 00:02

kelsey i hope you’re right (about being a freshman)! i haven’t even gotten my schedule yet, so i can’t give myself a tour of the school! yeah it’s kinda weird every year me and a couple of my friends go to the school sometime at the end of august and take a tour of everything so we won’t be completely confused on the first day. and we put some things in our lockers so our backpacks don’t weigh a million pounds!

question: why did scott’s publicity people mainly schedule appearances (exciting as they may be) on school days? i mean, since scott’s written only YA books recently wouldn’t most of his fans be in school? (unless they’re lucky homeschooled people like kheidi-la!)

kathy~
    August 16th, 2007 00:13

yes……..book tours! Hurry and post the ones in NY Scott. I can’t wait for Extras.

kathy~
    August 16th, 2007 00:16

ok you have lockers……..Thta’s not fair. My school won’t give us lockers which sucks. I haven’t heard of a school here in Staten Island where they actually give lockers. I think it’s because of the amount of kids in my school.lol like two thousand! hahahaha

AshAngelAk
    August 16th, 2007 02:52

Wolbachia wants to rule the world! Mwahahh.
    Hehe I just got The Last Days yesterday, and so I am rereading Peeps first ;P;P

Anyways!!! You really do need to come to Baltimore =( It’s only like a few hours away from NY =( And that’s driving! On a plane it would only be 30 minutes! Ahh oh well maybe another time yeah?

I am still waiting on the sampler too =( I hope you didn’t forget about me.

hillary!
    August 16th, 2007 02:58

ACK! Why did I have to move to SOCAL!? I used to live only 30 minutes, or so, away from San Francisco! I still even have friends up there! Maybe they can kidnap me in october? SCOTT! Why not LA! LA I can get to by train with parental permission! That Aya pick is really fool.

hillary!
    August 16th, 2007 03:01

TAYLOR! you have a very good point! why only school days? I too also like Hellogoodbye, by the way. I guess the appearances are mainly after school, hopefully…

AshAngelAk
    August 16th, 2007 03:15

Hillary! Why don’t you just get your friends to kidnap Scott and Justine instead ;P I bet that would be a lot more fun!

August 16th, 2007 04:12

Maybe I can drive over to Chicago…it’s not that far from here.

Our school has lockers that don’t lock. Well they do, but only when they want to. It stinks.

We only have like two and a half weeks left of summer Vaca!! WHAAAAA!! :( but it means that we are that much closer to the Extras!!

Patricia Jane
    August 16th, 2007 05:14

Road trip to C.A. or sit in my bedroom and read Extras?!? DAng! Kadie-Wa you have two and a half weeks till school?!? you so very lucky! i dont know why i keep reminding myself that school is starting again, it is unhealthy. oh man i am so excited for extras! october will be a good month! Extras AnD Halloween!! very nice!

hillary!
    August 16th, 2007 05:24

Sadly, my friends would kidnap Scott and Justine for me. They planned to ‘nap Neil Gaiman for me when he was in San Diego for Comicon, they would have gotten away with it too if I hadn’t found out.
    You know how in movies and on tellie they show school corridors with lockers in which you could stuff whole people into them? NOT TRUE AT MY SCHOOL! they are squares that just about hold all of my boox, and sumx my bag, most of the time I just use my French teacher’s classroom cupboards. And the only school I’ve ever, EVER! been to that was indoors, was in Oregon, and it was elementary school, the middle and high schools were all bungalows or portables or w/e. I’d really love to go to a school with those hard to find long lockers and true corridors. My school sux. But we have great colours! RED&BLACK!

K
    August 16th, 2007 05:42

Does anyone know when Specials will be out in paperback???

K
    August 16th, 2007 05:43

No one comes to Utah…only Mormon authors…

Breann
    August 16th, 2007 06:29

It seems like you never come to San Diego, I think it should only be required that you come to Comic Con next year! Pleasssssssssssssseeee!

August 16th, 2007 06:50

Most authors go to big cities that are next to States that don’t get noticed alot, so that pplz can drive ova there!! (At least that’s MY theory!)

Kadie-Wa
    P.S. Did you know that Pink’s real name is Alicia Moore? I’m watching a special on her.

hillary!
    August 16th, 2007 06:55

Pink’s real name makes me think of the colour brown. Is that normal? Isn’t Stephenie Meyer Mormon? It seems to me that she only goes to dinky little cities I’ve never heard of.

Amy-la
    August 16th, 2007 07:13

grrr… i had to walk home from school today… in the heat… in pants… in georgia!

Amy-la
    August 16th, 2007 07:18

bnicki,
    you live in alabama!?!?!?! i live in columbus, ga!

Kayla-wa
    August 16th, 2007 07:28

ahhh i dont have school until sept.5!!!! thank god. we have lockers that are top and bottom, our colors are red and white (go warriors!), and each grade has a color. im in 7th so its gonna be orange…our school is really cheap.

and no matter if there are Mormon authors, they dont even come here. never. i hate RI.

Isabella
    August 16th, 2007 07:57

What’s Mormon?
    Our school has full length lockers (floor to not-quite-ceiling.) Lucky us, huh? Except they make us buy school locks which are so over-priced.

hillary!
    August 16th, 2007 08:29

ISABELLA! you totally suck! I’ve always wanted to go to a school with REAL lockers! Who cares about buying over-priced school locks! To actually be able to fit your things in one place in easy access of all your classes…that is a myth for me, and urban legend!
    Mormon is a religion, well a person who practices Mormonism, they’re really nice but pushy people. There are alot here in SOCAL, it’s kinda creepy actually. MORMON INVASION!

hillary!
    August 16th, 2007 08:33

I can’t believe it…I’m gonna be a senior, and the first to graduate high school since my g-rents. I wanna be a librarian, what type if schooling does that involve? anyone?

wandav
    August 16th, 2007 08:46

Scott– can’t wait for Extras. Course I’ll have to fight my two daughters for who reads it first. Heh heh. Age and treachery win out over youth and skill at my house. *evil grin*

Maybe I’ll arrange a road trip to KY and see you. I’m stuck here in alabama, too.

Kayla-wa
    August 16th, 2007 08:46

idk. english literature? well i wanna be an author…once i get out of high school in 5 years!

August 16th, 2007 09:13

No need to wait, Kayla-Wa. I’m writing a book now and it’s on the 123 typed up page now. And I’m sending my Query letters out now. I hope somone will accept my book!

And about the lockers: Yeah, ours are the cheep ones too. Like I said before, they don’t like to lock. but they have the little combo thingy on it, so if you slam the door hard enough, it locks. But then you have a hard time opening it up again. And our lockers are from floor to ceiling-ish. But they are made of this funky metal. It’s like blueish grey. Blech!

Kayla-wa
    August 16th, 2007 09:24

its so cool you’re writing a book Kadie-Wa!!! whats it about? i wanna write one sometime, but i dont know what it should be… the longest one ive ever tried to write was only 15 pages.

anonymous moose, in cahoots with the infamous meese and the famous gooses
    August 16th, 2007 10:14

this is a message to the Author Lord Person Who Writes Really Amazing Books, Scott Westerfeld:
    I just read Peeps. It is very good. I have two questions though:
    1, in New York do they really make glassphalt
    and 2, would you be angry if I used the phrase ‘nuclear peanut butter’ for the name of a blog and as a couple mentions in a story because I really liked the quote

C

August 16th, 2007 11:03

Thanks Kayla-Wa! if I were to explain what it was about…it would take a long long time to explain. And I gotta go soon, so I can’t really write much. but this book has taken me over three years so far to write. And I’m still not done. At first, I would keep restarting it, so it didn’t make it more then 5 pages, but somhow i got where I am now…hmmm. lol. jk jk.

Kadie-Wa
    P.S. At my school, writing is HUGE! Most of the people at my school have written, or are writing books. None published though.

August 16th, 2007 11:58

the lockers at my school are skinny and tall, but each locker has an extra square compartment at the top that’s wider that the rest of the locker. yeah, it sounds kinda weird, and i didn’t explain it well, but everything fits pretty well. the locks are connected to the locker, and since you have the same locker throughout high school the combination never changes (i’ve heard some scary stories about what happens when someone’s ex bf/gf has their combo, tho). but we only have THREE MINUTES between each class so despite the good locker space my backpack usually still weighs a lot.

and hillary! i love hellogoodbye… i was so sad b/c when they went on tour their only show near me was the week before i had spring break, so i couldn’t go.

one more locker-related note: sometimes the locks are like really difficult (it depends on which one you get). i got lucky, and mine opens even if i miss a number by like three. some of my friends have to spin their combo perfectly or else it won’t open.

August 16th, 2007 12:05

oh, and my school colors are blue and white. go warriors! haha that’s my team’s name, too, kayla-wa. it’s so common, though. sometimes i wish we were named the burgers, like our rival school.

very, VERY, few times.

Kayla-wa
    August 16th, 2007 12:19

yea, our school is basicly about the science and math, but if you fail english, you fail the grade.we have to have two classes in it a day. and almost everybody besides me and the other smart kids hate it.

our lockers aren’t bad, the standard. except a lot of the time, the lock gets stuck and people have to break them and then we have to pay $5. and we only get to go to them like 3 times. our rivals are the “islanders” and have blue and white for their colors. (it sucks we dont have a mascot tho)

Kaylee
    August 16th, 2007 12:37

Taylor: the lockers at my school are the same way. Mine has a few big dents in it however and you have to hit the combo perfect like some of the ones at your school. I’m kinda nervous though b/c I’m just starting highschool and I am gonna get so lost it’s not even gonna be funny. But the good news is that we have 10 minute passing-period so that will be awesome…and we can have food/water/gum in our classes if the teacher lets us which I am very excited about. Anyways I have to go strech softball 2-a-days are killing me.

August 16th, 2007 12:50

kayla-wa: our mascot is a native american warrior. there’s no costume or anything, there’s just this one kid who’s been going to all the games with a headress on and blue and white paint on his face (etc., etc.) so he’s the unofficial mascot. i’ve been dying to take AP english for just about ever, or just an english class that does’t have the same idiots in it every year who never finish essays on time or study (again, etc., etc.).

kaylee: yeah i’m a freshman this year too but my junior high (7th & 8th grades) is in the same building as the high school, so i guess that’s what’s helping me along a bit. just the fact that i kinda know my way around. seriously, though, do what i do. like invite over a friend or two once you get you’re schedules and like take a self-guided tour! i give you my guarantee that it works.

and you’re lucky about the food! our teachers are super strict about food when it’s not a lunch period! we’re allowed gum (except in chorus, of course) and water, but anything else is like “off-limits” or else they make you throw it out.

Haley Rae
    August 16th, 2007 12:54

Very cool, Scott. Very cool.

Chicago is just a few hours away from my home town. With any luck, I’ll be able to go and see you! How great that would be. Know that I’ll be waiting for your more accurate updates!
    Anyway, if I do go (and I wish with all my heart that I do), I’ll be bringing a few sketches for you, all based off my imagination and the Uglies series ;). Just in case we bump elbows!

Haley Rae
    August 16th, 2007 12:58

It’s fun reading the posts, of Mr. Westerfeld’s fans, realizing who’s of what age…
    I myself am a Junior in high school. I’ve been trying to write stories for the last several years, but I’ve been arting it up since seventh grade.
    I commonly find myself writing these 73 pages long and going on stories, but then i’ll think about them, or try to come up with an original idea, and all of my thoughts will end up with “That’s too much like uglies!!”
    Anyone else have this problem? Unintentionally taking ideas from other books?
    Lemme know!

Kayla-wa
    August 16th, 2007 13:23

haha!! i’d like to at least have a native american bringing the spirit, but we just shout warriors when there is NO warrior to represent. i kno how u feel about idiots though Taylor. everytime in class since i kno the answer, i cant get called on and have to listen to the people that dont kno. ill just probly be in 8th grade algebra next year (ugh)

im not even in high school like you guys. and my school wont let us have any gum food blah blah blah or else we’ll have detention. cept im a suck-up…so i get away wit it.

yea and Haley Rae, i do sometimes think of something to write and its the same exact plot of another book. but if i think of something, its usually about my life.

August 16th, 2007 13:26

Haley Rae: Lol, I find myself thinking that alot! (That the books seem too much like the uglies) But the one that i’m writing now, is like the opposite of the uglies. But for like half of the summer, I’m at a writter’s block! (as my friends call it) And I can’t get rid of it! i know exactaly how I wanna end my book, but I’m like stuck. Makes no sence, I know. But can ne one help me????

August 16th, 2007 14:19

well i forgot my biggest annoyance w/ those kind of people, kayla-wa: whenever we have to read books out loud in class, they always volunteer and then read super slowly b/c they think it’s funny (or maybe that’s just their actual reading speed). and i can just never seem to stay where they are in the book, and always end up somewhere pages ahead. of course, it means i have less homeowrk if like our assignment is to read chapters __ to __. but it still ticks me off so badly and my teacher last year always called on them thinking that they wanted to make a “real” effort in class and never caught on that it was just for kicks.

does anyone have a spirit week in their school? like the week of the homecoming game and/or dance? b/c my school does and i’m just wondering if it’s just in my area or if it’s commonplace…

kheidi-la
    August 16th, 2007 14:43

omg i feel bad for ou ppl with small lockers… i actually wen tto public school last year and we had the long kind that you could fit things in… adn our sprit week was crazy the students went over the top… for freshman one day we had to wear polkadots and i couldnt find any in the stores… now you look and htat is all you see it seems like… My mom is actually thinking about letting me go i think but i doubt she would let me drive down to chicago…and Haley Rae im having a prob to im like no to much like uglies or such and such book then im like shoot do i hav to start over???

Walter Underwood
    August 16th, 2007 14:59

While you are in “San Francisco”, head down the road to Kepler’s in Menlo Park. It’s worth going just for the great bookstore, but they are a great audience for authors, too.

Of course, while in SF you need to go to City Lights and buy some small press poetry or at least an authentic copy of “Howl”.

Kayla-wa
    August 16th, 2007 15:20

Taylor: wow im kinda up late (not surprising) but yea i kno what you are sayin about those people who read slow. it makes me mad too. i think its just to waste time. but somehow whenever i read ahead, my teacher always notices and yells at me to “stay together”. we have spirit week here, but no homecoming (junior high) we just have different themes like tie day, nerd day etc. and whoever was the best, is announced the winner and gets like a $5 gift certificate to walmart or somethin.and the last day we have a dance.

kelsey
    August 16th, 2007 18:50

I live in Oregon and they still have classes outside, and if u know anything about Oregon u know it always rains, we all get soaked.the whole highschool has brand new lockers except the freshman hall, they have graffiti all over them and they call it the ghetto. Also i live in hicksville the name of my town is Sweet Home I kid u not so there are these kids at my school who are 20 and have beards, and chew in class and all the girls are pregnant it’s like unusual here to only have 1 kid in highschool anyways it scares me cause the school here really sucks. we have spirit week it’s a big deal in my town b/c football games are like the only thing to do so there is mud fighting and these huge bonfires and everyone paints there face etc. etc. But i am looking forward to an English class were kids know how to read. I always got in trouble for reading ahead, and i know what u mean about your teacher never calling on u b/c the other kids need a chance too. usually I just yell it out after he calls on like the 6th person and they still don’t get it. last year we read To Kill A MockingBird, which is way to high a reading level for the kids at my school, but in my class after you read u call on the next kid so every one thought it was really funny to call on the kid that stutters really bad, and that kid that stutters was in every class that i had.

Jess
    August 16th, 2007 22:07

oh sure scott.
    when people are actually commenting, DON’T COMMENT BACK.

yeah that’s how it works.

August 17th, 2007 00:53

well for spirit week at my school (it always start the monday before our homecoming game, which is the 2nd week of october), the student council decides on themes for each day. friday is always “warrior spirit day” (and everyone where blue and white) b/c it’s the day of the game, and there’s a pep rally. there’s always “pajama day,” and then the other 3 change each year. 2 years ago one of them was “favorite rap star day,” and last year there was “pirate/ninja day.” needless to say, i didn’t do either of those ones.

no one gets in trouble if they don’t participate, and there’s no prizes for like “most spirited person” or anything. that’d be kinda cool though.

and btw, since my jr high is connected to the high school, everyone from grades 7 to 12 can dress up for the week. sometimes even teachers do it!

August 17th, 2007 01:00

oh yeah, and we have the homecoming dance the day after the homecoming game (saturday).

really pathetic fact: our football team really REALLY stinks, and last year the homecoming game was on friday the 13th! we were also playing our (much more skilled in football) rival, and the end score was 0 to sixty-something! i don’t believe in friday the 13th, but it’s just a funny coincidence that our worst game was on friday the 13th.

August 17th, 2007 01:13

hey walter, so how did you find this site? most people who randomly find scott’s blog usually just say “wow, scott! i loved reading ______!” and if they happen to actually READ the post they’ll say “wow, scott! i loved reading ______! that’s so cool about ___________!”

i.e., they usually don’t give tips for “places to go” in san fransisco. and your grammar is correct, which as you can see doesn’t mean much to the rest of us “anti-capitalization” people.

i am a very sarcastic person at times.

to the anti-capitalization people: sorry about the triple post!

hillary!
    August 17th, 2007 03:26

Taylor, kheidi-la, Kayla-wa: my school is very much like Taylor’s when it comes spirit week, but our school purportedly has a really good football team, I wouldn’t know, I never pay attention unless my dad needs info or my friends make me. Spirit week for us is one week every month during the football season, and it always changes, except for pajama day (which makes no sense whatsoever since people are always wearing pajamas and flip-flops despite what the dress code says) and class colour day, except each year the colours change.
    Our school mascot is the Husky! and the mascot is always well loved, and we have a male and female Huskie! Our colours are the shiz-nat! Red and Black!
    The lockers are red and square, five tall, and it really sux when you get the bottom or top one. Luckily I always get the middle one and juniors and seniors get to choose their lockers. So no fear for me this lasy year of high school.
    Our school is pretty lax on the rules, except the whole no blowing bubbles rule, which is kinda ridiculous, I mean, seriously, the damage done to that kids eye was not serious!

hillary!
    August 17th, 2007 03:27

That was really long. Sorry!

August 17th, 2007 03:58

lol hillary!…”the damage done to that kids eye was not serious!”

and (a bit more) about our football team: yeah, i don’t pay that much attention to it either, but one of my friends is crazy about it, goes to all the home games, and ALWAYS tell me the scores and “highlights.” the only game that i go to is the homecoming game, i just invite some friends over and we walk to it since i live right up the street from the field. and it’s pretty fun, too!

Kayla-wa
    August 17th, 2007 04:02

our descriptions only show how different and alike our schools are! :) and my school is different. we have no football. just basketball, soccer, and cross country. im in band tho and play the alto sax.

August 17th, 2007 04:16

Ahhhhh!! I woke up today at 10:30!! And for me that’s a bad thing! My parents say that I should start trying to wake up an hour earlier every day until school starts! NOOO!! This is a VERY bad sign….

About spirit week: We have it too, but our school’s are all dumb. But it’s kinda fun too, like last year we had ’70s day and my friends and I brought walkers and canes to school to say that we were like 70! :) it was so funny. All the teachers loved it. If one of you guys have ’70s day, you should do that! We even wore wigs…good times…good times.

Lockers: Since this year i am the oldest in the school (6-8 graders) We get the newest, and nicest lockers. I’m SO HAPPY About that. Bc these ones have like rubber locks, it’s cool.

Okay, last thing: Locker room: (blech) Last year, we did’t have our gym lockers until third quarter! So when the school year was 3/4 over, we could start changing in there. Other wise we didn’t change at all! And it was only because the janitors didn’t want to change the locks! MEAN! Right, I know.

Wow, that was enormously long! SORRY! :)

Kaylee
    August 17th, 2007 04:45

Kayla-wa: i do too! i play the barry sax too.

i just got done w/ band camp last week *haha* it was fun though b/c i was with a bunch of my friends and i made friends with a bunch of seniors/juniors/sophmores. oh and were playing this really awesome song for marching band its called “Paint it Black”–(My school colors are Black and Gold) and we go out in football games and have this little routine..except we have to wear these ridiculous looking outfits w/ ugly little hats which kinda blows. Our other songs are (I can’t get no)Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Celebration, Vehicle, Smooth, and then of course the fight song and Star Spangled Banner. Yes, I am 100% band geek. lol. It’s pretty awesome. I’m excited. So does anyone else play an insturment?

hillary!
    August 17th, 2007 05:20

I used to play the Cello, but then I moved to Cali, yeah, it sux. But guess what Kaylee? Being a band geek is totally cool at my school, or just in my amoeba of freinds.

Taylor, my friends go to the games, but I have never EVER been to one, they don’t dare drag me away from my books, they are afraid of what I’d do to them. And only the really inept friends try to tell me about the games. I haven’t even been to a dance since I was 14.

Kadie-wa, I wake up just about every day at 420, just so I can be coherent by 435, so that we can go to the gym at 500, or else I’d still be speaking gibberish in a weird mixture of Italian, French, and Spanish. My school isn’t really into the 70′s, we’re more punk than anything, but 80′s punk. But we do have that weird group of kids who dress like they were just transported from the 70′s, but they’re pot-heads, so most people stay away.
    I have never heard of rubber locks.

I cant remember who mentioned going to school in Oregon, but I remember quite clearly how much it poured. And at my school, even the AP kids read slowly, which really annoys me b/c I know they are so not faking it. And my teachers stopped telling me to read ahead a long time ago, I’m smarter than most of my teachers, but bored, so I am sad to say that I don;y do well, because I’m busy teaching myself things that only college proffesors usually offer.
    WOW! I sound incredibly arrogant and conceited!
    And it’s long again!

hillary!
    August 17th, 2007 05:33

Bye the way, the bubbles rule was started because my best friend was walking around her sophomore year blowing bubbles, celebrating the impending end of the school year when it got into a fellow student’s eye. So starting my Freshman year they made a HUGE deal about not bringing bubbles to school. I was seriously confused until I met said friend near the end of my freshman year, after which I had forgotten about the stoopid rule, and she was gripping abot it. I couldn’t stop laughing, we still bring it up to this day, and it still makes her angry. She was almost suspended! just for sum kid getting in the way of her innocently blowing bubbles!

Hey! when does Specials come out in paperback? I really hope it’s out already! I’m going to Border’s this weekend, well, I’m going to the shopping center where it is located, my Mammi doesn’t quite know that we are going to Borders yet;p

luna
    August 17th, 2007 05:45

i live in la area so im gonna try to convince my mom to take me to san fran. anyways if not ill be at borders the second asap so i can get the book! im so excited ooh and i found a snakes on a stick related harry potter cartoon go to http://www.veritaserum.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=116&pos=69 to veiw it theres another afunny one at http://www.veritaserum.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=116&pos=67 hope you like them!!!

luna
    August 17th, 2007 05:46

ooh i just posted and the australian time is like tomorrow right now in california its aug 16 11:45….. ooops :46

luna
    August 17th, 2007 05:47

oh and you dont have to bring justine with you even though i totally dont mind you can draw a figure on a napkin like maureen

hillary!
    August 17th, 2007 05:54

Yeah, that’s one of my fave blogs of MJ’s. Next to the ones about her Catholic school experiences.

August 17th, 2007 06:23

I play an instrument…sorry, I forgot who asked that. I play the French Horn. There’s only two left in the whole school…My and my BF. It’s cool. I’m not really a bad geek, I’m more of a school geek, I guess you can call it. I’m in every school program. Literally. And when I started in 6th grade, I figured that i would play the hardest instrument our school had. And now I’m stuck with it. I’m good at it, but idk…it’s fun and that’s all that matters. Ne one else play an instrument?

Rubber locks: The combo thing has a rubber grip…I guess i explained the lock thing wrong! Whoops! :)

Kadie-Wa
    P.S. I also play the hulusi, piano, and recorder, if that counts.

Kayla-wa
    August 17th, 2007 08:20

i asked the question! im sucha band geek too cuz i always love to play and be in performances. each year i do a solo in front of a judge and i get graded on how well i did either a gold, silver, bronze, or nothin!

August 17th, 2007 08:56

Really?! have you ever won? I remember when I was in the science fair, there were five pplz who didn’t get anything. I was one of them. *tear tear*. lol

Hezaa
    August 17th, 2007 09:20

Hope to see you in NYC in October; I’ve spread the fandom-infection to another person. He loved Peeps a lot!

Lauren-la
    August 17th, 2007 10:39

Seattle? Awesome!!

Kayla-wa
    August 17th, 2007 14:36

yea ive done it for two years and ive won silver both times.

Lizzy-wa
    August 17th, 2007 14:54

i’ll totally be at the SEATTLE tour!!!!! i want my book signed or somethin! i just got done making a whole bunch of uglies teshirts! they rock by the way! thanks fr finally posting again Scott-la!
    :D

cat-kha
    August 20th, 2007 07:01

what about naming a team the monkeys?
    *hopes very much that no one minds if she ends up changing the subdomain of her blog to nuclear peanut butter*

Lizzy-wa
    August 21st, 2007 05:58

nuclear peanut butter…
    i wonder what thet would taste like on radio active toast…

Liset
    August 25th, 2007 15:46

Hip Hip Horray!

I just moved to San Francisco two day ago (i’m starting college at SF State) and I was all apprehensive and unsure, but now I know for sure that I made the right choose!

Scott in my town, yay!
    Now if I can just be brave enough to try out the BART, or is it the MUNI… crap… I’ll just walk! Lol

sydney-la
    August 26th, 2007 08:55

I just wanted to say that I LOVE your books, and am planning to see you in Kentucky on my birthday! (How cool!) That would be the 14th. Oh man, I need to go to the library!(sudden realization) I just finished Pretties for the third time, and i want to see if they FINALLY have the second Midnighters book. I can’t put one of your books down, and I’ll read it from cover to cover in about an hour. Keep up the WONDERFUL work, I can’t wait to meet you!

Lizzy-wa
    August 26th, 2007 13:49

Seattle…my home town…now 3 hours away…im goin anyway!

sydney-wa