Hairy Fruit

March 7th, 2009

I haven’t done a writing advice post for a while, so here’s one for you.

Rambut = Indonesian for “hair”
Rambutan = a hairy fruit, common in Southeast Asia

Observe:
rambutan

These hairy eyeballs are one of the fruits that Justine and I like to gorge on while we’re here in Sydney, because you simply can’t find them in New York. (Or if by some chance you do, they’re both absurdly expensive and half rotten.)

How to describe the taste? Well, the only similar fruit available in the US is the lychee, but I never had fresh lychee until I came to Australia, and the canned ones suck. So the rambutan really is a new taste—less acid than citrus, sharper than melon, darker than pineapple.

Or maybe I shouldn’t use comparisons. Rambutans have their own flavor, so I should describe them in their own terms. And that means really tasting them, then thinking hard, then wondering for a while how words can even capture sensual experience. In other words, describing the hairy eyeball means really being a writer.

(Which also means maybe failing at being a writer.)

These little philosophical diversions are something I love about travel: Going new places reminds you how much bigger the world is than you thought. For every kind of fruit you’ve tried in your life, there are a dozen species you’ve never heard of. No, make that a hundred—there are thirty species of pears, for heaven’s sake.

And it’s not just food. For every kind of social celebration you can name, some culture somewhere has ten more that don’t fall into any of your familiar categories. For every kind of person you’ve met, there are probably dozens of other personality types out there, unknown and unexpected, walking around experiencing entirely different aspirations and fears than the ones you know so well. Even the human emotions we think of as universal and primal sometimes come in very different flavors.

“But all people love their children!” I can hear someone protesting in a whiny voice. Yeah, maybe, but talk about different flavors. In various times and places, people have loved their kids by crippling them, beating them to death, or selling them.

This doesn’t mean, of course, that you need a time machine or even a jet plane to experience difference. I’ll bet that some very different folks live just on the other side of your town, and for whatever reason (social, historical, economic, accidental) you’ve never met them.

Writers need to remember that. I mean, everyone needs to realize that their little sandbox is not the whole world (or a scale model of it, or in any way representative of it). But it’s especially important for writers to keep hitting ourselves over the head with reminders of this simple fact: The world is SO much bigger and humanity so much gnarlier and more complicated than we assume it to be.

And if we forget that, we wind up splicing ourselves and the few people we know best (in my case, college-educated white folks who geek out on sciencey/numbery stuff and music) into every scenario on the planet. We wind up turning this gigantic world into a small one, and wind up writing small books for small readers.

In other words, we become cowards.

(And for us science fiction writers it’s so much worse, because we’re flogging these same, lame photocopies in the distant future and across the universe. Our bigger canvas means a epically vaster Fail.)

So this is my writing advice for today: When the hairy eyeballs look your way, look back. Taste them, swallow them, deal with their weirdness. Then tell stories about them.

Otherwise you’ll suck, both at writing and at life.

164 Responses to “Hairy Fruit”

March 7th, 2009 14:54

OMG I GOT FIRST COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 7th, 2009 14:55

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN’T BELIVE THIS HAS HAPPEND!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SKATA!!!!

March 7th, 2009 14:56

Okay so now I’m going to read the blog now. LOL! I never would’ve imagened I’d get 1st comment…

Dahlia-wa
    March 7th, 2009 14:58

That was really deep. I am totally going to remember that, and try to eat the hairy eyeball fruits of life. :D

Click my name. :D

Dahlia-wa
    March 7th, 2009 15:00

I would have gotten the first comment, but I was too busy READING THE POST! :P

March 7th, 2009 15:01

Wow. That was interesting. And deep, like Dahlia-wa says. Haha. Interesting. *scratches head in conlemplation*

March 7th, 2009 15:02

Well, there’s allways next post. I’ll lay back now that I got my turn at being the first comment. LOL! It’s like such a competition, getting 1st comment… I wonder if Scott-la knows? Haha.

Emi-la
    March 7th, 2009 15:06

OMGSH NUMBER 8!!!!!!!!11
    ANYWAY!!!!!!! Those fruit are SOO STINKING cool looking!!!!!!!
    Wow!!!!

March 7th, 2009 15:35

Scott-la, you’re totally right. Not just for writing, but for life in general. In my opinion at least. And i LOVE lychee :]] i used to eat them all the time back at home!! But i dont think ive eaten those hairy fruits before…

Sydner
    March 7th, 2009 15:39

Hahaha. This amazing:P
    And I definitely don’t want to fail at life (or, as an aspiring novelist, a writer), so I will definitely keep a look out for hairy eyeballs.
    Though, I have a feeling that anything which is that rare and rotted by the time it meets New York is going to be non-existent in a place like Las Vegas:P

March 7th, 2009 15:46

You said it Sydner. I live in the next state, so totally understand. Though lychee from Hawaii will do for me… Lol

nikki
    March 7th, 2009 16:30

OH! haha. Rambutans are all over the place here, but aren’t you NOT supposed to cut the thing? We just break the thingy in half and the part you eat comes out.

But this isn’t that disgusting yet. Try looking a prematurely dead duckling in the eye after you just sprinkled salt all over it.

March 7th, 2009 17:20

Scott-la, you proved my point at how friggin genius you are. No other words.

March 7th, 2009 18:33

i dont think he meant it to be disgusting nikki. And yes, that is totally disgusting! (never want to picture that image again).

Marisa-la
    March 8th, 2009 00:04

Wow. That’s the most unique advice I’ve ever gotten about writing, and I definitely have to try that fruit!

Eclipse (Mrs.Emmett Cullen Jacob Black)
    March 8th, 2009 00:58

Oh yes top 20 I am happy now ok on topic that is kinda creepy…..

Allie-wa
    March 8th, 2009 02:37

This is true. For writing and for life in general.

A lot of middle and high school kids seem focused totally on their own lives with no regard for anyone else. It’s like nothing exists outside of their little life of school, sports practice and text messaging. (Okay, okay, I’m not exactly a worldly person either.)

The funny thing is that even with television and internet and phones and a dozen other forms of instantaneous communication, we still are stuck in our own lives. It’s not a bad thing to care about your life and all, but when you’re at the point where you don’t even care what else is out there, there’s something wrong.

It’s weird to think about life back in the day when breaking news didn’t reach certain places for days or weeks or months. Back in colonial America, there was a part of the population who were affected by the British taxes. They were the Patriots. But them Loyalist country folk were poor, so the taxes didn’t really affect them. Many of them were immigrants, so they didn’t care about American issues. Some were afraid of being kicked off the king’s land. But one of the main reasons they were Loyalist was because the news never reached them. When you live in a small, two-room cabin surrounded by acres of your own land, who’s there to tell you what’s going on?

But anyway. This is very good advice and will probably percolate in my mind over the next few weeks, at the least, and will stick in my mind long after that. (I know this because it’s happened before…)

Anna
    March 8th, 2009 03:08

You /are/ a genius. When I read Uglies, my eyes opened up wide for a long, long time; and lately they’ve been lidding closed. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for opening them up again.

Andrea-la
    March 8th, 2009 03:11

Nice. I love rambuton. It’s my favorite fruit. I haven’t had it in forever. I’m so jealous.

lizzy-wa101102
    March 8th, 2009 03:12

totally awsome!!!! scott-la ur graet!!

lizzy-wa101102
    March 8th, 2009 03:13

HEYYYYY!!! MY MOM BYES THOSE ALLLLLL THE TIME!!!! THERE GRAET!!! I ABSOLOTLY ADORRRRR THEM!!!

lizzy-wa101102
    March 8th, 2009 03:20

i get it from the asian store ’cause my moms philipeano. or asian. or as u put it on tests ” pacific islander”. butt ya. im black, white, asian, and british!!

Fallen
    March 8th, 2009 03:28

Hear Hear

Rosie-Wa
    March 8th, 2009 03:29

that was such an interesting post to read! i’ve been getting into writing myself more lately and that was great to see. i love you scott!

cyn-la
    March 8th, 2009 03:30

i’ve never had those before but they look a little bit like lychee without the long, tentacle-like hairs…
    and i’ll remember your advice in the future. i actually always think of outrageous characters you’d never see in your own life so i guess im on a good start.

Bethany-la
    March 8th, 2009 03:42

Arg, right when I was about to comment, the computer closed the browser. Grr.
    That’s cool though.

Jessica
    March 8th, 2009 03:44

Thats spiff!

Night Watch
    March 8th, 2009 04:01

SO that’s what they’re called in English! [I've been wondering since I only know what's it called in Chinese. . .]

For where I live, you can just go to Chinatown and buy some rambutan [and they're not usually half-eaten or absurdly expensive].

And great advice too. :D :)

lauren-wa
    March 8th, 2009 04:56

That was a wonderful post:) It definately got me thinking about all the people in the world who are different, and how different they are from me.

March 8th, 2009 05:40

I agree with everyone here; that was a thought-proviking blog if I ever saw one! But I allready knew all about the fact that there are places and people who are SOOO different from the average American. I’m Greek and Turkish, and have been to both places, so I difinatly know the difference. Both places are very different from the US, and have their own customs and all of that.

Bethany-la
    March 8th, 2009 10:18

I have a question. Does anyone know a cat that goes mee-uf-oww??

March 8th, 2009 10:58

Lol, Bethany-la! My cat’s don’t do that. Tibbit, by Russian Blue, on the rare occasion he does meow, he does more of a mrow, high pitched and quiet. It’s cute to hear, actually.

March 8th, 2009 10:59

I think each cat has it’s own meow, so Me-uf-ow must be a Nala thing. Lol

Jay-wa
    March 8th, 2009 11:31

If I ever see that fruit (which I won’t any time soon because I live in the middle of nowhere) I’ll eat it and be like “YES! I can taste the different cultures!”
    Righteous.
    You miss a lot when you don’t check out this blog, totally philosophical. Also, I think it’s so great that Scott-la (other authors too) inspire people to write. I know he did me, and that’s some great advice.
    Allie-wa: Totally.

Everyone have a nice day! (or night!)

March 8th, 2009 11:34

oh, I really want to taste that fruit
    sounds delicious

Courtney
    March 8th, 2009 11:41

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed… I’m trying to write a short story, and I came up with an amazing idea, but the character (and any other character I try to create) is so boring. This post had made me inspired to work on her character much more… Thanks!
    And that fruit looks awesome.

Bethany-la
    March 8th, 2009 12:29

Alew-wa: Yes, thats what I thought, but really. Even if the cat is grumpy, I can’t imagine a cat going me-uf-ow. I can see the mee-uf, or the me-ow, but not a me-uf-ow.

gabi
    March 8th, 2009 12:34

good advice scoottt=]

Bethany-la
    March 8th, 2009 14:00

Alex-wa: Hey, is Hunted the last book of the series or is there more after it?

Name-la
    March 8th, 2009 14:54

It looks a bit more like a sea urchan to me….
    Anyway, it takes a true writer to turn a hairy fruit into a phylosophical, inspirational post. *applauds*

March 8th, 2009 15:31

Bethany-la, Hunted isn’t the last book. You can learn all about the series on their website, http://www.houseofnightseries.com. There’s going to be 9 books in all. Well, that’s what they’re saying. Yup. OMG!!!! 3 DAYS UNTIL HUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!! I’M THROWIN A PARTY AT MY PLACE, OH YYYEAAAHH!!! THIS IS SOO AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PLUS, ON TOP OF ALL, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES IS BEING MADE INTO A TV SERIES!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 8th, 2009 15:34

AAANND, I FINISHED NIGHTFALL ON FRIDAY 2ND PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I think I got all my excitement out of me. Lol. Now like all of my favorite books are being made for the big screen. I’d much rather they turned Vampire Diaries in to a movie, though. Come on, a TV series? Not appealing to me. Well, we’ll see. There’s no changing it now. They’ve allready got actors and everything for the series. Hm… maybe after the series they’ll make a movie…

Dame Orchid
    March 8th, 2009 15:39

I don’t know how I feel about the Vampire Diaries being turned into a TV show (what if it’s bad?).
    Since I have heard such great things about the House of Night series I decided to get the first book today. :)

lena-wa
    March 8th, 2009 17:04

interesting, interesting, interesting…
    i’ll have to think about that.
    thank you so much for this post.

shauna-wa
    March 8th, 2009 18:41

Excellent advice in both life and writing; and very brave to do so as well! Thanks for the post.

elela
    March 9th, 2009 03:09

Wow, you are the coolest writer ever. Thanks for the advice!

Bran-la
    March 9th, 2009 07:55

Hairy Fruit.

You know what was weird? I was coming onto the website cause i was like, man, i could really use some writing tips right now. And WHA-LA! There was writing advice. Some would say its ironic i say GOD STORY!

March 9th, 2009 08:19

you mean good story? Or really GOD story?

Kay-la
    March 9th, 2009 09:27

my library doesnt have the house of night series… i will have to check my school library

Perfect*♥*Mistake[Eclipse]
    March 9th, 2009 11:49

I think I’m gonna change my username just so you know

March 9th, 2009 12:00

wow eclipse… Totally brain-working name? Completely lost, but if you like it, awesome. I have no idea how to do those… Lol

March 9th, 2009 13:16

Love the new name Perfect Mistake!

Eva-la
    March 9th, 2009 13:17

love this post!!!!
    hiary eyeballs…..;D
    HA!;p

Eva-la
    March 9th, 2009 13:20

i accuallty really love the new name eclpise/perfecct mitake

Emi-la
    March 9th, 2009 14:58

I like your old username better!!!!!

I mean its pretty and allll but i like them other one better!!

So are there any guys on here?Or are we really allllllll girls??

Wow that would be alot of estrogen.

Haley~Hyperness is ICY
    March 9th, 2009 15:56

This is a really awesome, though-provoking post…nice!
    that’s my main problem when i try to write something…the characters are insanely boring and the plots are kinda stupid cause i don’t know anything about how most of the world works.
    and i really want to eat one of those hairy fruits…

March 9th, 2009 17:13

i think we might be all girls emi-la… I read a guy post a LOOOOOng time ago, but he was like 30. When lizzy-wa was comment queen before alex-wa.

Haley~Hyperness is ICY, you cant rwally say that about your stories until someones read them. I bet they’re not bad.

NOODLE-NZ
    March 9th, 2009 19:22

1. that was a nice little blog entry
    2. i want to eat that fruit NOW
    3. SHUT UP ABOUT TWILIGHT! it has nothing to do with the blog or any of the books really except for peeps, but thats only distant. OK?

bev-wa
    March 9th, 2009 22:39

Clearly, you need to come down to the tropical Isles of Singapore or Malaysia and experience the weirdness of fruit flavours we have to offer. (durians, jackfruits, mangosteens etc.)

The post was really food for thought. I think it’s difficult, especially as you get older and you have all these societal expectations and rules indoctrinated in you that you begin to close your mind to other possibilities. It’s sad but it would be worse if we shunned difference completely. It would be like sensing the world through tissue paper! Muted!

No idea what I’m on about. I will go eat fruit now. Kthxbai.

smaur
    March 9th, 2009 23:08

You are fantastic.
    Seriously.

Thanks for making me happier about stuff.

Julia
    March 10th, 2009 02:25

The concept of “their children” is itself culturally determined. In most cultures the people who can call children “their children” are the mother and father (biological or social/adoptive). But in some cultures, the male parent in a child’s life is the mother’s eldest brother–the mother’s partner/biological father plays a much more peripheral role, much like the role of an uncle in the industrialized world. And in some cultures, children are raised communally, or in totem groups aligned by birth date or other event, with a much stronger caretaking/love/responsibility tie to their caretakers than to their biological parents.

Josh Jasper
    March 10th, 2009 03:57

Yeah, but rambutan *still* isn’t as amazing as good fresh durian.

Jay-wa
    March 10th, 2009 04:41

Emi-la: Lol. Estrogen fest. Maybe all the boys are scared we’ll eat them. (muahahaha)

Smaur: He is intensely fantastic!

Eclipse: I like your new name. (I’m just kind of lazy which is why i just wrote eclipse. : D)

Peace.

Bella-wa
    March 10th, 2009 06:51

Those fruits are wild! (that may have been a bad pun, sorry)
    That was really deep though, the world would be a much better place if more people had their eyes open.

chase
    March 10th, 2009 11:27

whoa. those fruits look delicious. : ) great advice too, i’ll try to remember that in my writing. thanks

Eva-la
    March 10th, 2009 12:26

i dont write=.[
    ive tried im just like unorginizered and ADD like in my writeing
    like:
    this is a story about butterflies but also about a magical princess
    so this frog was like, hopping down the yellow brick road…
    and so on

March 10th, 2009 12:40

Ha! I’d so read that story Eva-la, lol. It sounds entertaining.

Emi-la
    March 10th, 2009 12:57

Wait!!!!!
    Chase are you a boy?????
    And
    Josh Jasper are you a boy????

YAY!!!!!!! Myabe We’ll have something other the estrogen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (not that i have a problem with girls! but ya know…)

Emi-la
    March 10th, 2009 13:02

Eve-la I would read ity too!!!
    It would be totally laugh-provoking!!!

Night whatch-why do you only know it in chinese?!?!

March 10th, 2009 13:09

OOOOOMMMMMGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUNTED COMES OUT TOMMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 10th, 2009 13:10

Lol. I think we should interrogate every new comer to the blog and be like ARE YOU A BOY?! ARE YOU SURE?! ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE?! Okay we believe you! Maybeeee. HeHe.

March 10th, 2009 13:11

Awesome, Alex-wa! Guys I’m sick! Not enough to stay home from school though, ugh. Oh wells, I’ve got a cherry popsicle right now to sate the ouchieness of my sore throat. :)

Emi-la
    March 10th, 2009 13:14

Tally&Zane OMGSH I think that is like the most bomb idea EVER!!
    (Idea!!! Us:Are you a boy???!?!??!)
    Them:(idk what they will say cuz idk if it will be a boy or a girl)
    Us:ARE YOU POSITIVE?!?!?!?
    Them:Um…ya
    Us:Double check!!!
    Them:……………………………)

LOL that would be SOOOOOO funny!!!

March 10th, 2009 13:31

HA! Yeah, we have to do it now!

March 10th, 2009 14:16

lol you girls are WAY too funny :] and i dont think you need to interrogate them, (sorry if i misspelled that). Lol

and eva-la, id totally read it too! Lol

Emi-la
    March 11th, 2009 02:12

Hhahaahahhahaahahh

Ploy
    March 11th, 2009 03:28

you guys are fruit noobs.

and so is scott westerfeld, unfortunately ;)

you can get rambuttans (i can’t spell – sorryy) in one of those syruppy fruit tin thingies, like you get pineapples sometimes.

they’re just as nice, but make sure you eat em chilled.

mmm yummy

Ploy
    March 11th, 2009 03:31

oh. i just read the whole blog. ahh oops, sorry about the whole noob thing, mr westerfeld o_O

March 11th, 2009 03:43

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUNTED IS OUT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO GO TO BARNES AND NOBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOUSE OF NIGHT IS THE BEST BOOK SERIES I’VE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Perfect*♥*Mistake[Eclipse]
    March 11th, 2009 06:35

Jay-wa:: Thanks and yea if you guys are like writing to tell me something just put Eclipse cause i am kinda slow alot and when i skim through cooments I see Eclipse and stop but not w/ Perfect*♥*Mistake

Ok I reaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllly want to say 3 things

1_I sooooo want to read Hunted but I forbid myself to ruin it cause I’ve only read Marked.
    2_Thanks to everyone who said they like my new name cause like I can not remember all of you but no oofense……
    3_Is it too soon for me to have a boyfriend again cause this guy asked me out and I like him but I don’t know if its too soon….

OKIE DOKIE i think that is all for now oh yea and I vote to interrigate the new peoples

March 11th, 2009 07:02

hahahaha jeeze alex-wa. You sound like my mom and little sister when their favorite book, (will not be mentioned because of the drama it causes), came out!! Lol. Then again thats probably how i’ll be when city of glass comes out. Too funny.

Eclipse, i wish i knew how to do those heart thingys. I was never much of an online person til i found this site, lol, so i didn’t know that was possible until i saw your name!! Lol

And if you girls do interrogate, is it just boys or new people in general? If just boys, i’m out. If all new people, i’m totally in!!!

Amy~la aka The Tobi aka Batman aka Faith aka Angel aka Alice aka Iron Man
    March 11th, 2009 09:25

so, hairy fruit… weird…

anyway, please the new post on my blog! :D

March 11th, 2009 09:37

Lala-wa, I can’t wait for City of Glass to come out! I love the mortal instrument series! Wows, Amy-la you have lots of secret identities!

March 11th, 2009 10:26

whoa… Ditto t&z. Super long name… So who are you really amy-la?lol. And i love the mortal instruments! I thought i was the only one on here who read them! Its nice to know im not too out of the loop. And i just realized that house of night was the series i qas gonba start a while ago but i was convinced to get wimpy kid instead. Super bogus. Now i need to catch up so i can see why alex-wa goes nuts about them. Lol.

reagan
    March 11th, 2009 10:53

I don’t ever think that I could eat something like that… That’s sad cause I am not a risk taker… I guess that Scott really made a point there!

Emi-la
    March 11th, 2009 11:04

Ok so if we DO interrogate(oops) people I think we should ask everyone.And we have to like…..have no one say anything about it to the new people.
    Deal?

Lol i think we might scare a few people off though…
    hahahahah

March 11th, 2009 11:10

Ha, yes. The Mortal Instrument Series pwns. Ha! Emi-la, I promise not to say anything, but if they have the sense to look a few posts up they just MIGHT find out. Lol.

March 11th, 2009 11:12

Lala-wa, read, and you will see. You will see. I remember how crazy I used to be over Book-which-must-not-be-named. But the crazy hype just ruined it. Ruined it, I tell you! Now I can’t stand to even see the poster. It drives me sooo crazy. They totally ruined it. It’s just so sad… It really used to be a great book…

Ashley-wa
    March 11th, 2009 11:15

hey everyone! i just read the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and i fell in love w/it!!!! its amazing! i almost cried at the end while Ponyboy was reading Johnny’s letter!!!! if u haven’t read this book u should =D bye 4nowww

Bethany-la
    March 11th, 2009 11:23

Ashley-wa: Hey, I read that last month for a school project. It was really good.

reagan
    March 11th, 2009 11:47

Alex-wa:
    Totally how I feel about it. It just annoys me….

March 11th, 2009 12:44

bahahahahaha alex-wa, you crack me up. Lol yes i agree with you on the whole hype thing. I’m glad the second version didn’t come out and can only be read online. Now i will admit i love THAT story. Lol. But im totally working on getting HON.

Emi-la, i promise too, and if we write enough comments, i dont think theyd bother to read sll the way up here, so comment away.

Ashley-wa, bethany-la, you guys make me feel old :[ i used to watch that movie as a little girl. I read that a LONG time ago, i only remember the movie now. Sad story. She’s an awesome writer to be a woman and portray the lives of young men.

March 11th, 2009 12:51

oh and reagan, not being a risk taker is totally fine. I think he means it on more of a metaphorical(excuse my spelling) way. Not that you should eat all the weird fruits that comes your way(which would be totally fawesome), but just not to be so closed minded or at least realize the worlds a lot bigger than the city, state, or nation you live in. Especially if you’re a writer. You know? [theres my unasked-for-long-opinion-that-doesnt-really-matter-again! Sorry peoples.]

Jay-wa
    March 11th, 2009 13:01

lala-wa: that was a very nice unasked-for-long-opinion-that-doesnt-really-matter-again, but also a nice sum up of the post. :D

I need some book titles (Alex-wa, I saw HUNTED at meijer [fawesome cover btw] and immediately thought of you and the westerbloggians) but not series ’cause i can only get a couple books…:( but any suggestions are good. Insightful books!! yay

Is the City of Glass like the City of Bones? Or am I totally missing?
    (tomorrow I have a late school start! righteous!)

Awesome Idea to you-know-what the new people.

And, on the book-that-shall-not-be-named topic, I have a poster of Him and defaced it. (Only because he looked like a pedophile.)

Everyone have a nice evening/day.

March 11th, 2009 13:30

lol thanks jay-wa. Lol and yes city of glass is the third one and it comes out on tge 24th :] WAY excited! But good deal with the you-know-what. I think emi-las starting it. Right? Or are we waiting for enough posts to get to where people wont read up where we explained it? Lol. Just wondering.

March 11th, 2009 13:36

oh and quick question, do you think there will be a crazy hype over uglies? Like if theres a movie, blah blah blah, do you think itll turn out like Book-which-must-not-be-named?

Emi-la
    March 11th, 2009 13:37

Jay-wa So my favorite books ( that arn’t a series) are:
    1.Scrambled Eggs at Midnight(Brad Barkly and Heather Hepler)
    One of the BEST BOOKS EVER!!! Its soooo funny and sweet….
    2.Things Not Seen and Things Hoped for(Andrew Clemets)
    I think Things Hoped For is best but…ya.It is ranked equal to Scarmbled Eggs at Midnight.
    3.The Truth about Forever.(Sarah Dessen)
    Totally amazing read!!!! I love how Wesly brings Macy out of her….almost shell but its more like a crust of perfection.(lol that sounds weird!)
    4.Rules(Cynthia Lord)
    You may think this is a little-kid book but it is soooo deep.I loved it.
    5.This Lullaby(Sarah Dessen)
    Yet ANOTHER great Sarah Dessen book!!

6.The Invention Of Hugo Cabret
    This is one of the most A-M-A-Z-I-N-G boos EVER!!!It is worth the price! TRUST ME!!!!

So there you go Jay-wa(Wait ok.. i hate to as but I ( i know a boy Jay and a Girl Jay) So?Boy girl?)(giggles)there are the best of the best,Non-series, books on my cellection!!

Lala-wa Thank you!!!!

March 11th, 2009 13:37

Jay-wa, LMAO! He does look like a pedophile! Now I want a poster to deface!

Emi-la
    March 11th, 2009 13:43

Tally&Zane,Jay-wa,Alex-wa(take huge breath)What book do you speak of when you talk about The-book-which-must-not-be-named?

i don’t get it…….(crys in self pity)

Emi-la
    March 11th, 2009 14:07

I had to post becuase now i’m number 100!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

March 11th, 2009 14:32

The book that just had a movie come out that has TONS of fangirls and has 4 books in the series and…uh…an apple on the cover. DON’T say it though!

March 11th, 2009 17:42

wow emi-la! Awesome list! Im so going to have to read some of those. and its actually 4 1/2 in the series girls. The last one doesnt really count cuz its not published, but still its better than the rest. And im so scared that if uglies becomes a movie people will go crazy like with the-book-which-must-not-be-named!! Now i know why bethany-la gets possesive… Lol. Itll totally kill it for me :[

Jay-wa
    March 11th, 2009 23:51

Emi-la: Thank you for the list! The titles sound good even..

And I’m a girl. Jay is just a nick-name.

lala-wa: I don’t think that Uglies will get over-hyped because we’re all responsible, normal teenagers…(*laughs*) mostly. What’s most important is people read the books, so if you live somewhere and Uglies is coming out whenever, just don’t scream a lot.

.:.Peace.:.

March 12th, 2009 04:13

I’m typing this from home…I can’t go to school cuz my cold/sore throat turned into bronchitis. Not fun.
    I’ll make a book list too!
    (Not in any particular order of awesomeness, they’re all great.)

-The DeVouring by Simon Holt
    (It’s freaking AMAZING. What really made me love it was just one paragraph on page 201. Up intil then, I just thought it was good. After that, fantastic.)
    -The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    (What can I say? The raw emotions that run through it and the suspense keep you reading and reading.)
    -Zombie Blondes by Brian James
    (I’ll never look at a cheerleader the same way again…*shudders* lol.)
    -Tithe by Holly Black
    (Awesome book of faeries. I fell in love with Roiben. Evil faeries are kickarse too. If you don’t mind some cussing and stuff in the beginning, then definitely READ IT.)
    -Ironside by Holly Black
    (Same as my feelings for Tithe. It comes after it though in the series.)
    -I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder[I think that's how you spell her name]
    (It’s a book that’s written in poetry form, but it’s still a story that flows perfectly. It’s magnificent.)
    -The Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz
    (Great plotline plus a hot teenage British spy. How can you not love it? Seriously, one of the best series I’ve read.)
    -The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare
    (It’s completely captivating right from the start. Why have only one or two fantasy creatures in your story? She has practically all the main ones, and gave em a certain pizzazz that makes me want to laugh and bow down too. rofl.)
    -The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson
    (Amaazzziiinnngggg. I love it. Right when you think you’ve got it all figured out, Mr. Patterson flips that world upside down.)
    -The Road of The Dead by Kevin Brooks
    (Great great great. The motivation is just awe-inspiring. And it’s a whole different world that I practically was unaware of set right into our own.)
    -And of course, ALL of Scott’s books.

Sorry, I think I got a little carried away…hehe….

Bethany-la
    March 12th, 2009 06:42

Attention One and All!!! I have created a blog. It is in my little blue name. It also links to my other sites (twitter, youtube, daily booth) and what not. All may read! Weee, so get to it!

March 12th, 2009 07:39

Bethany-la, it won’t let me comment! It says something like Your open id credentials could not be varified…weird.

Bethany-la
    March 12th, 2009 08:18

Weird…. Is the “comment as” box on OpenID? If so, I don’t think it should be. I think that’s some sort of website or something. I think you need a google, livejournal, wordpress, typepad, or openid account in order to comment. That’s dumb.

IcyNotBubbly
    March 12th, 2009 08:18

Deep, Scott-la, very deep. I will definately keep that piece of advise in mind and be sure to try hairy eye-ball fruit first chance I get!;-)

IcyNotBubbly
    March 12th, 2009 08:19

;-)

Dahlia-wa
    March 12th, 2009 08:34

T&Z: I love Alex Rider and Maximum Ride!!! I just got the Max Ride manga the other day, and it is so fawesome! (except for Fang’s hair. It’s really long and kinda makes him look like a girl) :P I want to read Zombie Blondes, but my library doesn’t have it and if I saw it at a bookstore along with a book by an author I already like, I would have to gte the book by the author I already like.

Bethany-la: Nice blog! I left a comment. :D

Jay-wa
    March 12th, 2009 08:48

Tally&Zane: Thank you for the list! I’ll look into those! Maximum Ride rocks!

Bethany-la: I’ll check out your blog when I can..(One computer, one geek[me] and two eBay obsessed freaks[not the good freaks either, my parents]) so…

Dahlia-wa: My friend let me borrow her Maximum Ride manga, and fang’s hair is girlishly long..but it’s pretty good otherwise!

peace

Jay-wa
    March 12th, 2009 08:52

Bethany-la: I like your layout…and standardized tests always have the most bogus prompts. Nice lie though, very believable. How’s the Private series? (I got privilege[the first book in the next series] it has to do with Ariana, and is vastly good.)

March 12th, 2009 10:05

Aw, I want the Max Ride Manga SOOO bad! But everytime I go to Borders they don’t have it! It makes me so sad!

Bethany-la
    March 12th, 2009 11:07

Lol, thanks everyone.

Jay-wa: The Private series is really good. It’s about Reed. I don’t know how privilage is in comparison to it though, because I haven’t read it yet. But you should read the Private series.

March 12th, 2009 11:50

hi bethany-la! When i can get on your blog, i will.

I havent read that book though. My brothers liked it so i never thought id like it. I’ll have to read it now. Jeeze you girls put up so many book names i feel totally out of the loop. I’ll have to get workin on it, as soon as im ungrounded from reading. Lol

Emi-la
    March 12th, 2009 12:11

Tally&Zane-YOu konw you can always order stuff online at Boreders.com ?
    I do it alll the time.Also,that sucks.How long do you think it will tak eyou to get back to school?

March 12th, 2009 12:33

Lala-wa, your grounded from reading? Wow. I love Maximum Ride, too! It’s awsome! It’s in my top list. I don’t really like manga, though. Just not my thing.

March 12th, 2009 12:34

I updated my site, ya’ll, so check it out!

March 12th, 2009 12:35

The cast section is a little messed up, I know. Oh, and people, PLEASE give me some ideas on an Uglies movie poster! I have NO idea what to do! And if you have an idea, I may need help with doing it… idk, it just depends…

March 12th, 2009 12:56

Yeah, I know Emi-la. I don’t have a credit card though, and my parents cut me off from buying books with their money cuz I spend too much. So I have to use my own, and I only have cash. I’ll prolly be able to convince them though. I’ll try and think of something Alex-wa! I’ve been totally creative-missing lately though!

March 12th, 2009 15:04

The cast section is fixed! And I added an ad for Dazzle-making, an awsome podcast about Uglies and Book-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named!
    Do you know how hard it was for me to type… you know what book… in the ad??? It was real hard!!! But I had to do it, or it would be mean… lol. I can’t belive I used to be obsessed with You know what. Now I can’t even bare to see the name!!! Lol, it’s just so sad, yet again…
    Oh, the link to their website is messed up… I’m on it…

March 12th, 2009 18:22

lol ya alex-wa. Im grounded til sunday. Super bogus, but i already agreed to the terms. Jeeze its harder than you think. And i’ll totally think of an idea, but im super creative-missing, so i might not be much help anyways…

lyssa cantu
    March 13th, 2009 02:21

I don’t believe in failing yourself as a writer for not describing the taste of said “hairy eyeball fruit”.

Take pity upon those who make three attempts on trying to spell “believe” correctly, then finnaly give up because the red squiggly line on their iMacs keep appearing, and cannot right click, because the mouse has no right-clicky button.

I think i finally spelled it right though…

But now how many can say “I eat hairy eyeballs and I like it” ?

I shall do a cheerleadin jump for thou, Mister Scott!

March 13th, 2009 03:14

I’m reading How to Ditch Your Fairy, and it’s very confusing!! Spoffs? Pulchy? Doos? I’m VERY confused!! I have NO idea what any of those mean!!! Well, for spoffs, I sort of have an idea… it’s just weird!! I’m not diggin the lingo. But I’m still readin…

March 13th, 2009 03:15

Heehee, diggin… Heehee… I sound like a rapper or something…

Sherrie Petersen
    March 13th, 2009 03:20

What a great post! Love the hairy eyeballs, and the life metaphors…

no-one
    March 13th, 2009 03:35

Alex-wa you shuld look at back of the Fairy BOOK!!! All the words are EXPLAINED!!!

Dahlia-wa
    March 13th, 2009 04:20

Alex-wa: I had a little trouble understanding the slang too, until I found the lexicon in the back. It was so helpful! I love the HTDYF slang (now that I understand it)! :D

Click my name. :D

March 13th, 2009 04:58

Oh, thanks guys! Now it all makes sence. It’ll still take some getting used to on my part, though…

March 13th, 2009 05:00

(Sarcasticly) Oh, thanks, no-1, that makes me feel so much better. Way to go. *Rolls eyes, shakes head, and walks away*

March 13th, 2009 05:41

lol, i need that book! i went to look for it here, and its no where!!!! ugh. i hate living in a place where nothing comes out til years later!!! jeeze, it sucks.

March 13th, 2009 07:04

Okay guys, after MUCH STRESS AND CRAZINESS!!!!!!!, my site has FINNALLY been updated!!! Check it out! There is a new page!!! The Soundtrack page has been moved, and now it is right next to the Movie page. Check it out!

lizzy-wa101102
    March 13th, 2009 09:26

wow! I LOVE TO POST!

March 13th, 2009 10:30

hi lizzy-wa! Omg i never see you on here anymore. Alex-wa is like comment queen now. Lol

March 13th, 2009 12:34

That’s because I’m constantly on the computer. Almost always!! That’s why. I always am checking this site, so I always see other people’s comment’s right away, you know?

March 13th, 2009 12:35

Humhumhum. Ya, that makes sense Alex-wa.

Dahlia-wa
    March 13th, 2009 12:55

:cry: I just watched the saddest episode of Dog Town ever. :cry: One of the dogs died! It was so sad! I cried! :cry: Usually the show is full of adorbale dogs that have behavior problems but end up getting adopted in the end. But this one was just sad! :( It reminded me of my old dog, who **** when he was 13. :cry:

Study Hall Writer
    March 13th, 2009 17:50

That is really great advice!! I just started my own blog, so if anyone could check it out that would be awsome. Thxs.

Little Willow
    March 14th, 2009 02:14

Kudos, Scott. You show those eyeballs who is boss.

Riderchild-wa =)
    March 14th, 2009 08:30

yola peepsies! me hungry…oo dinner!

Riderchild-wa =)
    March 14th, 2009 08:30

eeeeew those fruits’re creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy!!!!!!!!

March 14th, 2009 08:46

Guys!!! It’s Friday the 13th!!!! So, the usual quesiton… does anyone here have paraskevidekatriaphobia? This day will occur once more this year, in November. 3 times is the most Friday the 13th can occur in a year. Hehe. So this year is sorta unusual… Hehe

Perfect*♥*Mistake[Eclipse]
    March 14th, 2009 10:14

Oh yes b4 I forget I have to type this before i get done reading comments bacause I am totally gonna forget
    to put the hit Alt and 3 at the same time and let go at the same time…………..

Perfect*♥*Mistake[Eclipse]
    March 14th, 2009 10:43

Dahlia-wa And Bethany-la :: How do I change the background on my blog pleas ehelp me…..

Dahlia-wa
    March 14th, 2009 11:03

Perfect Mistake: Well, it depends on what you want to change it to. If you want a special layout from Pyzam or something else, you’ll have to get the code for the new background, go to Edit HTML and erase all the old code, then paste the new code in.
    If you just want a new layout from Blogger, then go to Change Layout.

presleybeast
    March 14th, 2009 12:30

Very beautifully written, Scott!

Bran-la
    March 14th, 2009 14:21

I wrote this after a family happening and learning a little more about ‘Sexting’. Its called Naïve and Oblivious. Hope you like!

They think it’s cool,
    The way that they speak.
    They think it’s funny,
    They don’t know it will leak.

Things get around,
    And images are found.
    They claim they don’t know,
    But we saw the whole show.

Naïve and oblivious,
    These are their names.
    Keep going along,
    Keep playing your games.

But what you may not get,
    Is that the acts are not legit.
    What you might have not thought,
    Is we are onto your plot.

Stop it right now,
    This act is so crazy.
    With all of this drama,
    Your future is hazy.

Haley~Hyperness is ICY
    March 14th, 2009 14:46

hooray for friday the 13th!!! anti-darkling day!!
    and also tomorrow, 3/14, is pi day! you know, 3.14…
    yes i am a nerd…very much so…proud of it :-D

Perfect*♥*Mistake[Eclipse]
    March 15th, 2009 01:56

Ha I like it pi day HAPPY PI DAY EVERYONE!!!!

Study Hall Writer
    March 15th, 2009 08:06

My Steel wings
    _________________
    wings that fly high
    above earth and sky
    above all the people
    away from all of the hate,
    but also all of the love
    to get away, far away
    to be set free from all of the cruelty and hate;
    that has so much sway, on us all
    our world filled with all of this violence and hatred,
    is also filled with love, compassion,
    and most importantly
    HOPE
    to get away from it all,
    the fear, pressure and hate would be nice
    but to leave behind everything,
    everything that is good in this world;
    like hope,
    would be wrong
    hope, is in a child’s eyes on Christmas day
    hope and love lies in the tears that come from a mother by her son’s side while he lay stricken ill,
    love and compassion , comes from your one soul mate and best companion
    To get away on steel-like wings,
    to fly away from it all,
    that would be fine with me;
    Then i start to think and realize
    how much i would lose
    I’d miss the chance to experience love, hope, joy compassion;
    everything good that the world has to offer, that outweighs the bad
    Freedom,
    to get away, lies not with the ability to use those wings,
    but with ability to find the greatness,
    hidden in a world full of hate
    i decide to stay,
    for all of the happiness, hidden in this complex place
    but choose those steel-like wings to help me,
    help me, vanish all of the hate in my world
    I get away but not from all of the good.

Wrote this to help out a friend. Hope you guys like it.

Riva-la
    March 15th, 2009 13:36

I was too lazy to read the entire thing, but those look cool! In an extremely awesome way.

Brian James
    March 21st, 2009 00:23

Very interesting take…as a fellow YA writer, I’ve always taken the other view of things. Certainly there’s different experiences and people have different approaches in how they deal with events that they are presented with, however I believe deep down we’re not all that different. We all experience emotions in similar ways…sad is sad, joy is joy…etc.

I believe that it’s our the commonalities that often give writing its power to move us.

Perfect*♥*Mistake[Eclipse]
    March 21st, 2009 13:42

hm.. I agree with Brian-la (oops hope you don’t mind but I call just about everyone with their nicknames…)

Serafina Zane
    March 22nd, 2009 08:50

Okay, just yes. Completely true, and something that’s difficult to remember, but, you know, really important. So yeah, just…this.

lizzy-wa101102
    April 5th, 2009 01:56

i loved hunted its sooooooooooooooooo great!

Jazzi-ya
    April 21st, 2009 08:13

Wow. I have a quick question for you: I am in the middle of major writer’s block and cannot for the life of me get around it. My series of seven books just isn’t going anywhere. Do you have any advice on how to get around that? I’ve been told to relax, but I kind of can’t at the moment.

Sorry to bug you,

-shy

Jazzi-ya
    April 21st, 2009 08:15

Sorry again, but had the wrong email adress? I think that’s what’s supposed to go in the mail thing. Yeah. But is there anything I could do to get back on track? I mean, I’ve gotten practically nowhere in the past year. I am only on the first book, but have the whole series planned out.

-shy

SiDart
    August 5th, 2009 11:18

Добавлю в избранное, написано не плохо

Anamaria Harry
    January 8th, 2010 19:47

Wo Google mich den ganzen Tag hinfuehrt :) Gute Page, ich werde wieder vorbeischauen.

Птица Говорун
    January 20th, 2010 02:53

Как у вас складно получается писать, но как-то мало вы популярных тем затрагиваете, это и плюс и минус ;)

Lusane
    January 22nd, 2010 00:44

want to hugely increase visitors to your blog for free? sign up at http://bit.ly/91QNn6 they are amazing!

Динозавр
    February 3rd, 2010 13:35

Ну очень мне ваши посты нравятся, душевно и проникновенно!

ugg boots discount
    August 11th, 2010 07:25

I love dialog… It is so much easier for me to read than detail b/c I can get lost in detail and not really remeber what I am reading. Like in Uglies when Tally was in the forest it was fantastic detail, but when I first read it I couldn’t wait for dialog.

Person with Hat
    April 15th, 2012 20:59

Woah… It’s kinda hilarious how distracted you guys get.