Writing Excuses

December 8th, 2010

Hey, sorry it’s been so long since I’ve blogged. I plead tour exhaustion. But here are things for you to listen to and look upon!

For the listening, while on tour I did two long interviews with Writing Excuses, a weekly podcast on the craft of writing.

The first interview is appropriate to the Leviathan series, because it’s all about the visual components of writing. Maps, diagrams, character sketches, floor plans, and full-blown illustrations—all those things writers create to help them visualize the world of their books. (And for those of you who are visual learners, or who hate the sound of my voice, here’s the transcript.)

The second interview is more generally about steampunk, the subgenre of which I am now the resident expert/bore (but not high priestess, waah). Listen here or check out the transcript.

And now for things to look at. As I’ve toured, I’ve talked a lot about the books that inspired me to make Leviathan series illustrated: the 1910s-30s teen novels that had cool pictures in them. But I didn’t make a point of showing examples to my audiences, and I haven’t put any here on my blog. This seems like an oversight.

So here from my research bookshelf, recorded by my iPhone with craptastic lighting, are a couple of these inspirations.

First is A Trip to Mars, both the cover and an interior illustration:

greatairship

greatairship2

And here’s the cover and illustration from the glorious “boy’s own adventure,” A Trip to Mars.

triptomars

triptomars2

Note the similarities and differences from Keith’s work. Some of the stiffness of Edwardian illustration is visible in these, and the caption on A Trip to Mars could totally go in Leviathan. The spilling off the frame isn’t present here, and these are in color, which is interesting. But the spirit of them is, I think, the same.

Also, you can see that Keith is much better than these old-fashioned dudes. Seriously.

But I will admit that, whether they’re pen names or not, Captain F.S. Brereton and Fenton Ash are the most awesome author names in history. Evar.

Okay, I’m about to transit hemispheres, so there may be another long pause in my blogging. But thanks for dropping by, and thanks again to all of you who made my tour so much fun.

Ciao for now.

34 Responses to “Writing Excuses”

beef flavored loris
    December 9th, 2010 01:07

Glad to here from you again(:

Neat pictures. I agree, Keith is better. But the pictures are still cool. I love the “He fell backwards upon the floor.” Not very exciting. You have to wonder why that is what he decided to illustrate.

Kay-la
    December 9th, 2010 01:29

You’re so cool. lol.

Amandasaurus Rex
    December 9th, 2010 02:52

Those are great pen names! If you had to write under a pseudonym, what would you go by? Or perhaps that’s classified… who knows, you could already be writing under a dozen secret pseudonyms! I think if I had to pick one (besides Amandasaurus Rex – surprise, I’m not actually named after a dinosaur), I would go with Mandarin Blue.

Sir Prize
    December 9th, 2010 03:27

That book looks kinda interesting, actually. Also, you’re right. Keith’s art is much better, but I do see how it’s similar. That’s cool. I went to your show in Miami (I’m the one with the polymath tattoo. ;)) and it’s cool to see some of the books with the illustrations like you were talking about. =D
    @Amanda Maybe he DOES have a pseudonym! And he writes all sorts of books we don’t know about! =O lolno, that would be funny though.

Jessi
    December 9th, 2010 04:21

That’s cool, and Keith’s art is totally better, but analogous too! I agree, those names are awesome! Pen names are fun, but it’s also fun to actually know who the authors are. A child-author could have a pen name, and accidentaly write it on the homework given to them by their strictest teacher! That would suck. Agh!

Katelyn
    December 9th, 2010 05:03

Nice pictures.
    The names are very cool, haha. Hope to hear from you again soon!

Bookworm 1000
    December 9th, 2010 06:15

Complete awesomeness!!!
    Finished “So Yeserday” last night and I loved it Scott!!!!!!!!!!

Joanna Penn
    December 9th, 2010 07:10

Hi Scott, I really enjoyed your Writing Excuses podcast, although it’s always frustrating to me that the episodes are so short! I enjoyed hearing about why you wanted illustrations in the first place and how it shaped your writing. I’d be interested to know whether the financial commitment to illustrations changed your contract i.e. clearly the publisher had to pay someone else as well as you. I think you sold more books because of it but I wondered if that was taken into account.
    Thanks for all you do, Joanna

Wanda Vaughn
    December 9th, 2010 18:13

Hi Scott,

My girls and I loved seeing you in Birmingham! Enjoy your summer down under.

That first airship reminds me a lot of the ship on “Flight of the Navigator”! I guess I know now where they might have gotten their inspiration. lol Does anybody else think it looks like the ship? They totally ripped it off!

Books Before Boys
    December 10th, 2010 04:09

Keith’s really good, but I do think that those old illustartions are beautiful. Lovely colors that blend nicely together.

Niky
    December 10th, 2010 20:36

We need a fan art Friday! *is hoping the fan art I sent in will show up on the site*

Madi-La
    December 11th, 2010 03:01

just gotta say, we missed you Scottsters!!!

Juli-wa
    December 16th, 2010 08:08

Def inspiring pictures, but def Keith’s are better ^_^
    And def missed you!

Hannah
    December 18th, 2010 06:31

yay, Scott-la’s back!!! :D merry early christmas!!!! and pretty please for a christmas gift for all of the uglies fans you love so very dearly could you *please* post some uglies movie news, scott-la? pleeeeeeeease???? you can’t resist the puppy-dog face!!!
    *does puppy-dog face*
    PLEASE SCOTT-LA???????!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    as you can see im sorta desperate. i havent heard anything about the uglies movie since 2008. freakin 2008!!!!!! that’s like almost three years ago. i need updates!!!!! PLEASE. :) BECAUSE UR AWESOME, YOU’LL POST AN UPDATE…RIGHT?

Lizzy-wa
    December 18th, 2010 11:14

hehehe i like how Scott-la is sad that he isnt the ‘high priestess’ of steampunk. i also like that the gal who IS has Scott’s blurb on her cover. i ALSO like that her last name is Priest, and therefore it is only logical that she be the high priestess.

Hannah-la you completely sound EXACTLY like i used to! seriously its creepy! hehe just read your comment and thought i should point that out.

-Lizzy-wa OUT! :D

Konya
    December 18th, 2010 23:25

Tks you

The Ottoman Sultan
    December 20th, 2010 07:03

Thank you, Mr Westerfeld, as your books Leviathan and Behemoth are two major things that have inspired me to start writing.

God bless you!!

The Ottoman Sultan
    December 20th, 2010 07:05

God bless you!! And thanks for your genius and the inspiration!!!!

Msturee A. Sailer
    January 18th, 2011 01:25

If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

Alina
    February 14th, 2011 02:00

hi Scott i’m a big fan of your books my favorite is the ugly series. how did u come up with this amazing series?

-Alina

P.S hope u e-mail me soon

Micah
    February 17th, 2011 17:06

I’m afraid I must disagree with you… the best author name evar is Cordwainer Smith.

Yes. This is the truth.

Cathren
    February 21st, 2011 20:35

your are like my FAVORITE author!!!!!the uglies series is the BEST!!!! keep writing! Stay awsome!
    P.s.is there another book after Specials?
    -Cathren})i({

fifa 11
    March 3rd, 2011 21:09

It was some sort of excitement finding your site yesterday. I came up here today hoping to learn something new. And I was not disappointed. Your ideas on new strategies on this subject matter were enlightening and a wonderful help to me and my spouse. Thank you for having time to write out these things along with sharing your notions.

Fifa Soccer 11
    March 3rd, 2011 21:15

The suggestions you discussed here are rather precious. It had been such an enjoyable surprise to have that awaiting me after i woke up today. They are often to the point and easy to understand. Thanks for your time for the innovative ideas you’ve got shared above.

emlak ilan
    March 7th, 2011 05:43

Author of this position is rattling adult body. There are wonderful ingredients.

Niesha Bramblett
    March 28th, 2011 04:41

I real lucky to find this internet site on bing, just what I was looking for : D besides bookmarked .

Tomek
    April 21st, 2011 15:22

Nice to read such articles.

Jenee Vandaele
    May 2nd, 2011 19:26

Thanks for your write-up on the traveling industry. I might also like to include that if your senior thinking about traveling, it really is absolutely essential that you buy travel cover for retirees. When traveling, elderly people are at biggest risk of getting a professional medical emergency. Buying the right insurance policies package to your age group can protect your health and give you peace of mind.

Kenyetta
    September 11th, 2011 10:36

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

sauconytrigonguide
    September 21st, 2011 22:07

Substantial from the blog document will be reasonably outstanding.

Corina Shrake
    December 11th, 2011 03:48

I have read a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to create such a magnificent informative site.

Opera
    January 31st, 2012 05:55

Live not to eat, but eat to live

sky-wa
    February 4th, 2012 22:12

Scott, I am writing a huge report on you, and i was wandering what your motivations were to originally start writing, and what inspirers you to write?

Air max 2011
    February 9th, 2012 20:04

Hello! Great stuff, do inform us when you finally post something similar! http://www.allfreeshopping.com