Fan Art Friday (at last)

November 18th, 2011

Oops.

I sort of didn’t do FAF last week, because I was all excited about the Uglies manga AKA Shay’s Story cover. (And lazy. Also because I was lazy.) But here is a FAF for you all! And because I’m in Australia, it’s a day early for you North and South Americans.

This post completes the job started back on October 29, which is showing you all the art I’ve received while on tour. Next Friday (promises, promises) I’ll get back to posting the art I’ve received since tour started.

So here we go, starting with something that’s not quite fan art, but is pretty cool to look at.

One of my favorite things on tour is when people give me books to signed that are obviously well read. Like, in-the-bathtub, on-the-bus, under-the-covers read. Sometimes readers apologize for their tattered copies, but I take it as a compliment. And especially excellent are the signs of notations and post-itting.

So check this out:

This was only DAYS after Goliath came out, and already the book was festooned with post-its and notes. NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL READING.

And in case you think this is a unique event, I got a whole set of the trilogy receiving the same treatment at my Books of Wonder event:

So yeah. That’s cool.

Here’s a painting of the Leviathan in its friendly I’m-a-whale mode.

It’s interesting how for some readers the airbeast is a big, scary monster thing, but others see it more as a friendly animal. Clearly, for some people beasties are always a win.

Here’s a happy sketch of Tazza that makes the same point:

Another type of fan art that I only see while on tour is the GREAT BIG SIGN. As in this one:

Now, you can see why I might like this sign in particular. But all signs are cool.

Also popular with me? Cookies.

The Austin Teen Book Festival folks did these cover cookies for all us authors, but I’m still counting it as fan art. (And, reader, I ate it.)

Here’s a piece of Midnighters fan art! A flame-bringer symbol rendered in clay.

That’s it for the tour fan art. I guess there’s a bit of space left here, and you didn’t get any FAF last week, so let me round up with a cool bunch of images from Lego-master Tyler, who won a prize for this series of Leviathan-inspired works.

The Stormwalker!

The Ottoman Scorpion!

The German monoplane!

The Huxley!

And finally, the Tesla cannon.

Pretty nice work, huh?

Congrats to all you NaNoWriMoers who are more than halfway home. In case you missed them, here are a set of tips that Justine and I did two Novembers ago.

Good luck for the rest of the month, and see you all next week!

43 Responses to “Fan Art Friday (at last)”

Hannah-la
    November 18th, 2011 03:36

It’s Fan Art Thursday! FAT! (<– Lol.)

But not if you're in Australia, I suppose.

It occurs to me how often I'm first nowadays… I guess it's because I just happen to be on the site semi-recently after Scott posts. Hm. And the sticky-noted Goliath is impressive. I feel like underachiever. :(

;)

Toasty-Woasty
    November 18th, 2011 03:54

The second set of books belongs to my little brother/my Alek to my Deryn :’D Waaah! <3

Maisy and Mia
    November 18th, 2011 04:05

leviathan with my friend (who hasnt read it! yet) and she said she thought it was just a happy flying whale…. :P

Alek
    November 18th, 2011 04:07

Ah no way my books are up there! At this rate they’re gonna be more famous than I am! (I have the second set obviously)

Gail
    November 18th, 2011 04:07

I love the sticky-noted copy. :D Me, I just flip through and start reading randomly.

And, also, you eat Deryn’s face but Alek’s is perfectly fine?!?!?!?!!

Knives
    November 18th, 2011 04:20

That first book is mine ^.^ *ecstatic joy*
    and both my friend and I read/attacked it (the pink notes are hers) fun fact: the word “cantankerous” is used once in the beginning and once at the end. Yeah… xD

imageek
    November 18th, 2011 05:00

That fist picture makes me soooo happy. My I did the same thing with my copies of the trilogy, especially Goliath. & then I lent my copy of Goliath to two of my friends, & they did the same thing! Now I just have to save up to buy paperback copies so we can write ALL over them! :)

amo
    November 18th, 2011 06:15

I feel like I neglect my books now……but they are very VERY worn down.

Erica-la
    November 18th, 2011 06:26

now i feel like my books are bare ……..especially cause i cant find the book covers….. ! But i LOVE them anyways ! I just might have to go by some sticky notes.But my book will never look like that first book,that was pretty impressive!

Erica-la
    November 18th, 2011 06:28

This i random but you RRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

need to wright another book in the series!!!!!!!!!PPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE

Erica-la
    November 18th, 2011 06:31

why the heck did my comment go off the page!but it looks pretty cool………………………………………………….

I apologies for my grammar errors i was typing fast……I just learned how to type on a keyboard with out looking……………sorry :>(

fergusto
    November 18th, 2011 07:05

i smell cheese farts

Cambelle
    November 18th, 2011 07:51

That Goliath cookie is probably the best tasting baked good EVER.

I Like Hamsters
    November 18th, 2011 07:55

I wish I could have gone to a book signing at least once! Maybe next time… I get so excited when I hear that an author is coming to the book store!

@fergusto: Excuse me.

Books Before Boys
    November 18th, 2011 07:57

I used to put sticky notes in my books when I didn’t know what a word meant. I’d go back and look it up in a dictionary. Now I have a nook and there’s a dictionary function on it, so I don’t have to flip through huge dictionaries anymore.

The happy whale was adorable!

Emmiline
    November 18th, 2011 08:07

BOOK COOKIES! OF BEHEMOTH! my life is now complete

Hayley
    November 18th, 2011 11:42

loving the lego! :)

Kate & Zena
    November 18th, 2011 12:32

@Knives: Seriously? That’s your copy with all the sticky notes? OMG. How many sticky notes did you go through? I think the only time I sticky note the crap out of my books if I know I’ll need to reference a page for a quote for an essay.

Shelby
    November 18th, 2011 19:35

Awesome Fan Art! My brothers would love the Legos:)

Jacquie-la
    November 19th, 2011 02:41

I love the clanker legos! but the darwinist things cant really be respresented in legos. They would look really cool in clay though, because they would really look alive as opposed to the clanker machines… What am I blethering about?

selin
    November 19th, 2011 04:53

haha you think THAT book looks well-read? well yes those sticky notes are very impressive but my copy is currently being held together by a piece of string. love the faf…. or fat

Hannah
    November 19th, 2011 05:09

My copy of Goliath had tons of tiny pieces of torn up paper like the sticky notes, but I didn’t want you to be all offended and be like, “Omg!? How could you do that to my book?!?!?” So, I took them out.

Knives
    November 19th, 2011 08:14

@Kate & zena
    Only 171 at the time, considering you’re not counting the two German quizzes placed hastily in the back cover while reading in class (shame on me, I know), but I’m reading and marking again because I couldn’t find any post-it notes while reading the middle chapters.

Cassidy
    November 19th, 2011 09:38

WOW O.O I take my books everywhere, like EVERYWHERE. but I never thought of actually putting sticky notes on them XD so smart!!!!!

The Joker-la
    November 19th, 2011 11:15

Hmm, I need to go beat up my copys of Leviathan, Behemoth and Goliath.

ravenandwren
    November 19th, 2011 11:46

The cookie is amazinggggg :D

My friend squished my copy of Leviathan in his backpack, it’s got a bent cover D: BE WARY OF WHERE YOU PUT YOUR PAPERBACKS!

Awesomesauce
    November 19th, 2011 23:48

Lego Tesla Canon is friggin’ awesomesauce (i used my name in that sentence). I like on the sign it says, “I don’t want to hurt you but I will if I have to.” plus the Alek love on there too. What caused a fangirl build up…Goliath did.

Oraldisaster101
    November 20th, 2011 00:58

Woah! The lego stuff is kinda awesomely awesome… Someone has WAY more patience than I do, especially with that AMAZING… well they were all amazing, not gonna pick one out of so many. Cheers to you Tyler!

Oraldisaster101
    November 20th, 2011 01:01

I want to know how big those mindblowing Lego crafts are!

(sorry for the double post)

Tyler
    November 20th, 2011 04:37

@ Oraldisaster

As builder of the Lego models, the Tesla cannon as about 18 inches long and 12 inches tall, not counting the lightning. The stormwalker was about a foot square and the rest were smaller. Thanks for the compliments.

Clanker Rose
    November 20th, 2011 19:59

The lego things are pure awesomeness. I need to bug my lego-loving friend to make me one of those… :3 The sticky-noted copies are awesomesauce!!! I have about a billion bookmarks in my copies, and have probably stained most of the pages by taking the books EVERYWHERE.
    yay.

Kirsten
    November 21st, 2011 09:21

That’s awesome! I sticky-noted all the illustrations in the books, but my bother took them out when he read them. :(

Kirsten
    November 21st, 2011 09:22

*brother. Hehe.

Jett
    November 24th, 2011 08:39

</3333 *sniffles* b-but I wanted dat cookie, Scott-la!!!!

Oraldisaster101
    November 24th, 2011 22:23

@Tyler
    Wow! How long did that take?

Tyler
    November 25th, 2011 04:37

@oraldisaster101

The stormwalker, a few months by the time I was happy. The rest, a few days each, working on and off.

eugen-la
    November 25th, 2011 20:32

scot-la, it’s friday.

Awesomesauce
    November 26th, 2011 02:26

I see no FAF for this week? It’s Friday.

Oraldisaster101
    November 26th, 2011 22:11

@Tyler
    Blegh, you probably have a lot more free time then I do *stares at pile of homework* and more patience, oh so much more patience.

Kate & Zena
    November 27th, 2011 02:17

@Knives OMG. That’s insane. That would totally ruin my memory! (It’s called image-based Autism, if you want to know. Post-its, highlighted words and phrases and any form on annotations in a book ruin my memory.) If I do that, I write it all in a journal (the 7th HP took up 7 journal pages, I think.) I have a image-based memory, so generally, I can flip to the page where something that I’m trying to reference pretty quickly without the aid of Post-Its (especially if the book has illustrations.) Unless I haven’t read it in awhile (like Goliath. Too busy reading other books.) 171 Post-Its is insane. I can’t believe you remember what all happened in that book while Post-It noting!

Oraldisaster101
    December 2nd, 2011 03:15

@Kate & Zena
    I can kinda understand that, in this case it’s like over-analyzing a book. All it does is take away from the story.

Reece
    December 18th, 2011 08:40

@Oraldisaster101
    I over analyse to, but I don’t try to. I don’t write a journal or place post it notes. It just happened. Just started the book today and already found a grammar error on page 11.
    Why had he listened to Dylan and come back to this abomination of an airship?
    Properly it would be: Why had he listened to Dylan and CAME back to this abomination of an airship?

Reece
    December 18th, 2011 08:45

Oops. I guess it is proper English :/ Well that was embarrassing.