Russian (and Hungarian!) Cosplay Alert

January 6th, 2013

Hey, I’ve been lazy again (in all things, not just blogging) but fortunately, I have lots of lovely photos from my travels to show you. Posting photos is a bit easier than writing actual words, after all.

First, however, here’s some cool Russian cosplay for you.

These folks are doing Leviathan, complete with a plush hydrogen sniffer!

Update:
This first set are from Hungary, in fact. Got these emails while I was in Brazil and didn’t keep track. They’re from the Hungarian Steampunk and Anachronist Society, and you can see more pics on my Hungarian publisher’s FB page here, here, and here. (Thank you, Lorant in the comments! And thanks to Ad Astra, my publisher in Hungary.)

spider

I like Deryn’s and Alek’s many leather accessories. Great boots, too.

They did this shoot in a cool old steampunk-ish warehouse, which you can see some of here:

setting

I don’t know if there’s something going on in Russia, but around the same time, I also got some Russian Midnighters cosplay. Here’s Melissa:

melissa

And Dess:

dess

And all three of the girls:

sunshine

And a different Jessica (from a different group? This all came in on the same day. What’s going on in Russia? Some sort of Westerfeldian cosplay convention?):

jessica

Anyway, I love all these character interpretations. Well done, Ruskies. [And HUngarians!]

More photos soon. (See, Scott? That wasn’t so hard. You can DO this.)

82 Responses to “Russian (and Hungarian!) Cosplay Alert”

TrueUgly
    January 6th, 2013 08:02

I’ll never understand why the bottoms of these posts say that pinging is not currently allowed. Was it ever allowed? Will it ever be allowed? When am I questioning all of this now? (well, quite obviously because I have nothing better to do, but that’s beside the point.)

Anyhow, this is really cool stuff. And what IS going on in Russia? Hmm…

January 6th, 2013 09:36

Great cosplays! I especially like the Leviathan ones. I don’t know much about Midnighters, but those are very cool.

Her Imperial Maliciousness
    January 6th, 2013 09:56

woah thats so bubbly the hydrogen sniffer looks like a furry land octopus spider though
    and dess looks…like a dess

Lorant
    January 6th, 2013 18:09

On the first two picture, they are hungarians, and the photos were shot in Budapest at the old Gas factory, which is called Millenáris park now, and it is an exhibition center.

Lorant
    January 6th, 2013 18:19

Ohh, and you can find more pictures at the AdAstra publisher facebook page:

From Russia)
    January 6th, 2013 20:41

We accidentally sent photos in the same day =)

Ellie Ann
    January 6th, 2013 20:44

Oh man! Those LEVIATHAN cosplay outfits are awesome!

Rina (Dess here)
    January 6th, 2013 21:50

yes it was accidently :3 and nothing /unfortunetely\ is going in Russia. And what about Leviathan, they are wonderful, i really love steampunk and this book and of course this cosplay

Rose
    January 6th, 2013 21:55

I want to be in Russia. I’m reading a book about Russia right now.

From Russia)
    January 6th, 2013 22:14

Rose, what book?

Rose
    January 7th, 2013 00:28

@9 Well, I read one awhile ago called Russka by Edward Rutherford, which is a novel, but right now I’m reading ‘Former People: the Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy’ by Douglas Smith. I’m also in the process of reading Ken Follett’s Century Trilogy, which among other places, takes place in Russia as well. I’m kind of in a Russian kick right now.

January 7th, 2013 00:30

wow, that’s so awesome!
    PLUSH HYDROGEN SNIFFER! is that online or did you (the awesome cosplayers) have to actually make/sew it? i want one! great photos and everything!

finally got the wi-fi to work at my new house. guess what it was built in 1912! Leviathan era! and the original color of my room made me think oh crap it looks like Special Circumstances in here… now it’s a cheery orange.

January 7th, 2013 10:16

Cosplay is always epic. ALWAYS. Though I’ve never done any…

From Russia)
    January 7th, 2013 13:31

Rose, i thought this something about Russian history =) (Sorry if there are mistakes, I do not know much English. Some phrases translate here http://translate.google.com =))

Rina (rus xD)
    January 7th, 2013 13:59

Rose, I can’t remember the name, but i once found a book about Russian clothing from ancient time to 20th centures, it was really great *-*
    I can’t read french bit there was a lot of great photos
    if you are interested in i recommend you to read something about it

Anastasia (from Russia)
    January 7th, 2013 17:05

These cosplays are REALLY cool) especially Jess. She looks like I imagined her) I’m thinking to cosplay Dess. She’s greatest character of Midnighters, IMHO
    P.S. Sorry for my poor English.

From Russia)
    January 7th, 2013 17:24

Anastasia (from Russia), ??????? ??? ??? ?? ????, ??????? ? ??????)

Anastasia (from Russia)
    January 7th, 2013 17:58

From Russia), what?

TrueUgly
    January 8th, 2013 01:31

I’m really confused. There are so many people from Russia on here. I’m part Russian. I have no idea how to speak any, but still, I am a sliver Russian.

Rose
    January 8th, 2013 02:39

From Russia) yes, all of that was about Russian history. Sorry, I often write a lot about things I like. :)

Person with Hat
    January 9th, 2013 03:18

@16- Your English is fine. It’s certainly better than many people I know, and English is their only language :)

January 9th, 2013 06:47

@21 i know, right? it gets in my nerves when people make stupid English mistakes that are obviously incorrect. also when their vocab level really stinks and you have to define every 2+ syllable word you said. honestly Anastasia, your English is great!

January 10th, 2013 06:45

Out of topic here. I finally did a Leviathan trailer. Well, actually a Behemoth trailer. It’s just music and a background song (Perfect Stranger, by Civil Twilight). But I’m not sure if I should put the song lyrics in the video, because the songs fit perfectly with Deryn and Alek. Could anyone take the time to look the song up and help me out?

January 10th, 2013 07:10

@23, great song! really Dalek-y, but I think it fits nicely. in my opinion, if you’re just doing a trailer i’d only use about the first minute, before the lyrics. but i can’t wait to see the trailer!

January 10th, 2013 07:11

*goes and adds perfect stranger to iTunes library*

January 10th, 2013 07:12

whoa what happened? weird! sorry!

Anastasia (from Russia)
    January 10th, 2013 15:34

Person with Hat, Scorpio-Ferret, thanks for the nice words! The best compliment for me is a good grade of an English-speaking person.

January 10th, 2013 16:58

@25 – well, as I really like the song, I used about 3 minutes of it, until it goes into a guitar solo. I think I’ll use the lyrics, like, small on the side.
    I’ll see if I can post the Youtube link later :)

Hamm
    January 11th, 2013 06:40

Grrr. Me wants to see Lilit-ness. I loves Lilit. Wondering if she’s found herself an American girlfriend by now.

TrueUgly
    January 11th, 2013 16:54

La-da-da-da-da….
    I made cinnamon toast for breakfast this morning. It was delicious.
    Haha, I’m so off in my own world, aren’t I?

Middy Miles
    January 13th, 2013 05:19

Just a little.
    Anyway.
    Hello, all. How are you?

Middy Miles
    January 13th, 2013 05:24

All of you on here who are Russians are officially cool. And for the record, you know English well enough, judging by your comments. Yes, better than some people I know who speak English as a first language, as Person With Hat said.

TrueUgly
    January 13th, 2013 06:29

I’m pretty good, how about you?

January 13th, 2013 10:26

i think we’re all doing well here, unless someone’s sick… if anyone is i hope you feel better soon!

hey Scott what’s up? your posts have been very few and far between lately… i might start flooding your inbox.

ah, good old English. although some of my schoolmates claim not to speak English: they speak “American”. where did they get that from? is this
    just an oddity of my school or does this exist in other places too?

Rose
    January 13th, 2013 21:21

@34 I’ve never heard of people saying they speak ‘American’, but I do know there is American English and British English.

January 14th, 2013 01:25

@35, i know of that. there’s tons of variations. but no one says they speak American English, same as there’s English (UK) and english (Canada) etc… they just speak “plain old American”.

Scott please talk to us where are you? you promised more photos soon!

January 14th, 2013 06:42

Gah, this is what I get for not turning on my computer for days on end!

Hello, Russians! You are awesome and probably long gone by now! I would say that I want to be in Russia right now, but there is that saying about Russian winters. (No one survives a Russian winter except the Russians. Evidence: Napoleon and Hitler. Maybe that’s just military history, though?)

@35: I detest the term ‘American English’, despite the fact that I probably speak it. But then again, I frequently criticize Americans (like Eddie Malone and Adela Rogers). Then I realize I’m American….:(

Scott, I’m glad I don’t have too much to catch up on, but please update? I’ll try to come on here more often, I promise!

Okay back to homework. So long.

Rose
    January 14th, 2013 07:34

@37, the real reason Napolean was defeated really badly (sorry, that was
    bad phrasing) was as he was retreating, something happened: spring. Their canon got bogged down in the mud. If a Russian winter is bad for travel, a Russian spring is even worse.

Sergeant Pepper
    January 14th, 2013 10:32

Yo, Middy Me. I finally got around to looking up Perfect Stranger by Civil Twilight and I must say… It’s damn groovy. It is, in my opinion, better than those other songs you were originally considering and it’s lyrics are definitely pertinent to the Leviathan series. It’s a cool song. It should make for a good Behemoth trailer. Peace out.

January 14th, 2013 12:14

@38: Hehe never thought of that. He was defeated rather badly, though,wasn’t he? (And REALLY at Waterloo, but then, my only source of detailed information on that is Les Miserables (book, not musical or movie).)

January 14th, 2013 15:50

@38, i know this is ridiculous, but did (or could?) the Russians ever charge the enemy with a herd of angry reindeer? i can imagine a little kid getting confused:
    MOM: “honey come here! get inside while you can!”
    KID:”but mom, it’s Santa Claus! with all his reindeer!” :D
    i know, that was so outlandish, but it’s before sunrise and i’m bored.

Emily-wa
    January 14th, 2013 15:55

Scott-la we did WWI in history today!
    I knew the answers to all the questions.
    We talked about the British Dreadnought.
    And I nearly called the Central Powers Clankers :D

Rose
    January 15th, 2013 02:58

@41, I don’t really think that would work, at least not with Napolean. Anyone correct me if I’m wrong, but reindeer are usually found closer to the Artic circle, and generally in Siberia (if we’re talking only in Russia) or Scandinavia (if we’re talking the world), which are both regions that I THINK have never really seen major war fare, anything beyond tribal disputes or battles between rulers of small kingdoms. Also, the history of that region is an area of which I lack a lot of knowledge (along with the Napoleanic wars-they never teach us these things in school!) so I could be totally wrong.

January 15th, 2013 05:26

@43, so in other words, it’s still not a straight yes or no. yay! i can be left to my own imagination! Rudolph, chaaaaarge!

TrueUgly
    January 15th, 2013 05:59

@44- on Dasher, on Dancer, on Donder, on Blisten! On Comit, on Cupid, on Prancer, on Vixon! Attack! That would be the most epic battle ever. What if they got elves into it too? And used sharpened candy canes instead of bayonets? Wow, a very holiday-ish battle lol. (no offense to anyone in anyway, I’m not sure if there is anything offensive in there, but if there is, that’s not how I meant it. I was just being stupid lol)

January 15th, 2013 06:02

Hey there, Sergeant Pepper. Yeah, you know, I was just scrolling through my playlist and I saw the name and thought “hey, that doesn’t look familiar, I’ll play it”. Well, long story short, it had 0 plays, now it’s got like, 30, and it’s in the trailer. I’ll put the link here tomorrow.

@38- don’t sweat it, you speak (or write) perfectly good english. Cool fact about Napoleon, I didn’t know that!

January 16th, 2013 05:22

Finally! Here’s the link to my Behemoth trailer, hope you enjoy it :)

Her Imperial Maliciousness
    January 16th, 2013 09:52

@47- did u delete it cuz it said this vid is currently unavailable

January 17th, 2013 01:15

@48 – really?? I don’t know about that, perhaos it’s got something to do with the copyright
    I mean, I can watch it perfectly from my computer :(

Rina (rus)
    January 17th, 2013 12:51

Midshipman K, Russians winters is quite normal if you are not in Siberia :DDD and even in Siberia it is quite normal too (but of course colder) xD
    now it is -15 and sunny, i think it’s ok (i live in Europeen part)
    sometimes frozes happens, for example some weeks ago it was -29 in my town, but i like it, we haven’t go to school (hm…not we (and me), pupils from 1 to 9th form haven’t go to school, everybody who in 10 and 11th form were studying because it was one degree warmer for cancelling lessons in high forms)

Rina (rus)
    January 17th, 2013 12:54

And what about Russian springs, YES YES YES I HATE IT!!11 the first half(march and april) when snow is melting
    but than three-five weeks of wet and mess pass and we have nice light green and sun and warm wheather :3

Rina (rus)
    January 17th, 2013 12:57

*the third message xDD*

And summer is mostly very hot, and the automn is beautiful till the snow starts (in november) xDD (it’s like when it melt)
    but than winter again and no mess on the roads, everything white, clean and beautiful so i love winters *-*

January 17th, 2013 15:40

@50, 51, and 52 great description of the seasons! wow, that really does get cold. and i thought 12 F was freezing my rear end off… X( -29 sounds really not fun. i’d be toast out there.

January 17th, 2013 15:43

@47, i couldn’t get the link to work either. not on my iPod, or the computer… i think your trailer has stage fright. ;)

HMS Leviathan
    January 17th, 2013 23:32

To all that worked on the cosplay outfits, great job! I think that it is awesome at the amount of thought, and effort that was required to put forth such fantastic results, for I can hardly call myself an artist. To all of those who were pictured; the characters were exactly how I would have imagined them. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing! Bonam Fortuna in futuram! (Latin: good luck in the future).

January 18th, 2013 03:41

@48 – haha…yeah, I’m still trying to get it out into the world. Well, I’m sorry you couldn’t see it, it probably has to do with the music copyright or something. Anyway, if you want, here’s a link for you to download it:

Person with Hat
    January 19th, 2013 18:59

Soo many comments.
    Okay, somewhere in there was something about speaking “American English”. As far as I’m concerned THERE’S NO SUCH THING. This is one of the things that get me most worked up. In the US, English is the official language, not “American English”. Sure, we pronouce and spell a few words differently than in other parts of the world who speak English, but we can still understand each other. If you compared a comment here written by someone from England and a comment here written by someone in the U.S., you would see no difference unless they wrote something like “favourite colour” and “favorite color”. The only significant differences are accents and regional slang. And there are accents and regional slang within the U.S. itself. You don’t here people saying “yeah, I speak New England English,” or “I speak Texan English.” Sorry to rant at you, but seriously, nothing gets me more worked up than the idea of “speaking American English”.

Person with Hat
    January 19th, 2013 19:02

@ 50, 51 and 52- That sounds like the season where I live. A few weeks ago it was like -20 out and I had to wait for the bus in -20 degree weather at 5:30 in the morning. Fun fun fun. ;)

January 20th, 2013 11:19

@50-52 (Rina): Wow! That sounds cold! I would actually love to experience that. XD I think we Californians have a rather limited outlook on the seasons, since we rarely get below 25 or above 100 here. Our winters never do much but rain. Once we had a tiny bit of snow, but it was like a few flakes and it melted when the sun rose. The only time I’ve seen it actually snow is in the Sierra Mountains and in movies….(Movies? XD I need to get out of the US someday.) (In the Bay Area anyway; I don’t know about up north or south, but if it did snow in California, I think it would be further north.)

Also, this was a conversation from a long time ago (does anyone remember this but me?), but we were speculating about how much it would snow in Glasgow versus Vienna (because I have both cities on my weater app). We thought Glasgow was sure to snow because of how far north it was (and I seconded that because it snows at Hogwarts which is further north, but still). We weren’t sure about Vienna because it’s further south and has the lowest altitude in Austria (I think). I am here to inform you it has been snowing all winter in Vienna and (to my knowledge) this is the first day it has snowed in Glasgow.

‘Kay back to Algebra II….

Rue
    January 21st, 2013 02:54

i was flipping through Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath today AND GOSH DARN IT THEY ARE STILL AMAZING.
    i missed them.

Sarah-la
    January 22nd, 2013 02:50

So cool!

TrueUgly
    January 22nd, 2013 17:00

Snow day today! Yay!
    Strange thing is, I woke up earlier this morning than I would’ve if I had school. I think I’ll teach myself something on the piano (:
    Have a lovely day everyone!

January 23rd, 2013 06:19

So awesome that you had snow, here we had like 20º (Celsius) here, all sun. It was cool for basketball practice. Somehow I nailed every shot! That never happens to me.

I’m feeling happy :)

January 23rd, 2013 15:50

@63, can i com mob wherever you live that’s so warm? i’m done with these New England winters. we’re getting the cold at my place, but i’d say less than a three-inch total of snow for the season. there was literally two millimeters on the ground yesterday.

by the way good for you at practice! i never score. but i get hit a lot.

TrueUgly
    January 23rd, 2013 16:46

@64- you should be getting some, isn’t there like a huge snow storm passing over the great lakes?
    I like New England winters. And West Coast winters. And Mid-West Winters. I think I basically just like winters. Lol

January 23rd, 2013 16:57

@64 – haha, yeah, it’s nice here when it’s like this, or in autumn. But spring starts to get really hot, and you can’t imagine summer! It’s kind of a desertic area where I live (Monterrey, Mexico), so in the summer we can go up to 45 degrees!!! (celsius…I suck at converting to Farenheit) I hate it that you just got out of the shower and still you’re covered in sweat!
    I would like to see snow sometime…

January 24th, 2013 02:34

@65 there’s supposed to be some snow, but i don’t happen to think it’ll be much. it’s very cold and dry here, not much moisture at all.

@66 wow 45 celsius is a bit much… snow is fun, until you have to shovel out your stairs covered in two-foot-deep snow.
    beware snow can look like mashed potatoes falling from the sky especially when you just woke up and you’re still sleepy and half-dreaming. trust me, i know from experience. XD

Rose
    January 24th, 2013 03:13

@66 45 Celsius is pretty hot. Last summer we had many days that were really hot, 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 Celsius), but it was so humid it felt like 120 Fahrenheit (49 Celsius). On the other extreme, this winter, actually, this last week, we’ve gotten to 25 degrees below zero (-31 in Celsius).
    It’s just so great to live in Minnesota, we get all kinds weather here!

January 25th, 2013 02:58

@67 -I read that and practically burst out laughing….I almost woke up my mom.

@68 -Yeah , I know how that feels…only here it’s not humid, it’s as dry as you can get. It’s like 45º but with the hot air, it feels like 10 degrees more, and the worst thing is that, when it actually rains, the city is drowning in mud and the sun’s still shining.

Hey, I wonder what’s up with Scott. I would like to think he’s working on his new book (hint, hint), but I don’t know.

Rose
    January 25th, 2013 04:18

@69 it would be nice to know what he’s up too. Remember how, a long time ago, he’d post every week? :)

January 25th, 2013 05:01

I do remember. Those were the good times… :)
    My theory is that he went underground so that no one would steal his stories. But sadly there’s no internet down there :P

Rue
    January 25th, 2013 08:29

yeah. remember Fan art friday?
    he never missed a friday.
    fan art friday fortnightly is not okay.

And remember the art reveals from Goliath?
    OH THE HAPPY MEMORIES

Segeant Pepper
    January 25th, 2013 14:11

Oi! Middy Me! I saw that Behemoth trailer you made. ‘Twas awesome. Awesome song, awesome book! Please make trailers for Leviathan and Goliath. You do trailers well. If you don’t mind me suggesting another song, I think one should have “How Will I Ever Be Simple Again” by (you guessed it) Richard Thompson. It’s a beautiful song. Look it up, if you please, Mister Customs Man. (Sorry, just felt like throwing in a Bob Dylan reference!)

A Dude
    January 25th, 2013 22:34

Um, Sergeant Pepper, Arlo Guthrie wrote the song you’re thinking of (I believe it’s called “Comin’ Into Los Angeles”), not Bob Dylan. Sorry, don’t mean to turn this into a music forum, but I just felt the need to correct you on that.

January 26th, 2013 01:52

Hello again, Sergeant Pepper! Thanks! I’m glad you liked it, and as a matter of fact, I do have a Goliath trailer (I used “Make This Go On Forever”, by Snow Patrol)
    I’ll try to post it soon. I’ll look up the Richard Thompson song as soon as I have time!

@74- What’s up, Dude?? You know, somehow you only come into the comments here when we talk about music, do you do that on purpose?

@72 – And the videos he posted, and the photos, and just his general comments that were so funny.
    SCOTT!!!!!, we miss you!

January 26th, 2013 02:38

@75, totally! Scott! we need your posts! too much suspense is not a good thing!
    WE NEED TO KNOW THAT NO ALIENS OR ZOMBIES HAVE TAKEN YOU CAPTIVE. IF YOU NEED HELP, JUST SOS.

also, i couldn’t get the video to download on my computer. it kept freezing. is this just some weird Mac thing, or did other people have this problem?

A Dude
    January 26th, 2013 03:04

Middy Me: No, I can’t say that it is on purpose. I just have a one-track mind (pun intended) :)

January 26th, 2013 05:44

Haha, cool, Dude. Hey, did you look up othe Civil Twilight songs? If not, I recommend Fire Escape, Highway Of Fallen Kings and Trouble :)

@79-hmmm…it’s weird that you had a problem, I actually uploaded the video from a Mac. Yeah, I’m sorry. I know a bit about computers, but I can’t think of anything here :(

I just got back from the eye doctor. It’s SO frustrating, those drops they give you. Now I can’t stand sunlight (I feel like a vampire) and I see worse if I put my glasses on! What’s up with that?

A Dude
    January 26th, 2013 08:19

@78: No, I haven’t. But I will. Mark my words! Because then, you can use them against me in a court of law. :)

“Trouble”, huh? That reminds me of a song with the same title by a great band called The Spring Standards. I suggest you look them up. Pretty much whatever you find will be awesome… With the notable exception of a certain video of them playing on Conan O’Brian. I can honestly say that that is their only song that I consider to be crap. Of course, now that I’ve said that, you’re probably going to watch it. And I can’t blame you. Usually when people tell you not to do something, it’s just more of an incentive. Right?

But anyway, what was this post about again?

January 26th, 2013 22:48

@79 – Well, I just looked it up, and I have to say, these Spring Standards are pretty good, though perhaps not my style. Anyway, I loved “Trouble” and “Bells And Whistles”.
    And yes, you got me. I watched the Conan O’Brian video. (At least I think it was the right one. They play “Here We Go”, right?) It’s not so crappy, for me, but I guess it’s a different style from their other songs.

Now for a suggestion of my own. I just downloaded this great app. Band Of The Day. It’s like a calendar where every day there’s a new band, and you can listen to their songs and watch their videos. There is some amazing music there.
    Try looking up Said The Whale and Apollo Run. Awesome bands.

TrueUgly
    January 27th, 2013 03:31

You know how a few weeks back someone on here said to look up the music video to Aberdeen by Cage The Elephant? Well, I did then I kinda forgot, until the other day when I was watching a baking show and someone made a cute little monster to put on a cake, so of course it reminded me of the cute little mister in the music video. Of all people, I told my mom (who happens to be an artist), and she drives herself crazy thinking about it and tells me to find the video for her. We watched the first 20 seconds then decided it was too sad. One thing lead to another, and now there is a little replica of that monster on my kitchen table. His name is Brindle. Lol

alex
    January 30th, 2013 04:25

I am about to read midnighters and I would be flattered if you responded to me!!!!