Smoky Days, Interview

October 18th, 2013

The Blue Mountains have been on fire the last couple of days, which is definitely not a good thing for Sydney. Bushfires are a natural part of the cycle of nature in Australia, but it doesn’t usually start up before the first day of summer. (It’s the middle of spring down here.)

This bodes ill for the next few months (and for the next few centuries of climatic uncertainty).

Here’s what Sydney looked like from my terrace yesterday at four in the afternoon. Note that the sun was high:

smoky sydney small

Click that image for the bigger, scarier version.

Justine and I are safe in the concrete jungle, of course, many kilometers away from the fire. But we’re still breathing it, and we’ve got friends whose homes are at risk.

On a lighter note, here’s an interview I did with Amy Stevenson of 4ZZZ Radio here in Australia. I talk about the Leviathan series a lot, but also about my next novel, Afterworlds.

26 Responses to “Smoky Days, Interview”

October 18th, 2013 11:46

First!

October 18th, 2013 11:49

Okay, now that that’s dealt with, OH MY GOSH that’s even worse than here in California! Our fire season was pretty bad this year, but nothing near a city…. I’m so glad you’re okay!

Also *adds interview to list of things to do on Friday evening, the one time I do not make myself do homework all week*

exeter carpenters
    October 18th, 2013 18:22

I need a song about women at work in construction: carpentry, welding and electrical jobs?

Panzercrappitastica
    October 18th, 2013 19:09

Hm… So, I was wrong with my idea that one girl was reading a story about another girl, but she is writing it. But I still may be right about what the paranormal part of the book is about!

October 19th, 2013 04:33

the interview was fun to listen to, thanks! I’m glad there aren’t many fires where i live, that looks scary… we just get crazy snowstorms all winter long.

October 20th, 2013 03:10

Awesome! I love hearing about Leviathan. And Afterworlds sounds super interesting!

Zac-la
    October 20th, 2013 23:56

So, for anyone who didn’t listen to the audio interview, Afterworlds is split into two stories. The EVEN number chapters are a paranormal romance (care to elaborate, Scott?) and the ODD number chapters are about an 18 year old girl in New York who wrote the paranormal romance and her experiences of getting published and that.

I want what part of the romance is paranormal? Are we talking vampires? Magic? Werewolves? Zombies? And I wonder whether the two stories will eventually collide and the characters cross over or something? I LOVE the idea for this book, it’s so original! I’m really excited about reading it now :D

Mia
    October 21st, 2013 06:54

This comment is unrelated, but I was recently made aware that Mr. Westerfeld attended my high school many years ago. Whoever moderates this lovely site should tell Mr. Westerfeld that he is now listed as a famous alum on said high schools Wikipedia page. And should Mr. Westerfeld ever be in the area of said high school, he should most definitely pay the creative writing club there a visit.

Also, insider question: Mr. Westerfeld what cluster were you? I am incredibly curious…

October 21st, 2013 08:47

Mia, I was in Music for most of the four years, but I took some Theater classes as well. And I took Creative Writing from Mr. Davison, who I think is still there.

I did pay a visit during the Goliath tour, in 2011, but maybe that was before your time.

What cluster are you in? (And hi to the CW club.)

October 22nd, 2013 00:49

@Mia that is SO COOL. I think that just needs to be made official. SUPER COOL. LIKE, BUBBLY TO THE 100TH POWER.

October 22nd, 2013 02:16

Toda’s my birthday!!!!! :) :)

October 22nd, 2013 02:16

Today’s (sorry)

October 22nd, 2013 03:55

*sends Middy Me a slice of virtual cake*

October 22nd, 2013 05:16

Happy birthday, Middy Me!

October 22nd, 2013 07:44

Thank you!!! :) :) :) :) :)

October 22nd, 2013 09:58

Ahh! Happy birthday, Middy Me!

I hope I’m in time! These time stamps say October 22, but it’s the 21st where I am, so….

nerezza-la
    October 22nd, 2013 23:18

Scott-la, does Australia always look like this (besides the orange sky?) It reminds me of steampunk, kind of, so I can see where Leviathan came from. But the windows look like legos…before I read the post, I thought this was a scene from leviathan made from legos. Like, for real.

****Happy birthday!!! google happy birthday cards, and consider them all sent from us all at the Westerblog sphere

October 23rd, 2013 01:52

Happy birthday, Middy Me! *hugs* :D

Panzercrappitastica
    October 23rd, 2013 02:35

I’m a day late, but happy birthday anyway!

October 23rd, 2013 04:33

Thanks everyone! *hugs everyone* :)

By the way, the date stamps on the comments are a day late, but at the beginning they were okay……hmm…

Introspective
    November 4th, 2013 03:53

Haven’t heard of levitation series, now I will be out searching for it.

I’ve been wondering, do you ever wonder if all the time you put into writing the beginning of a book will be wasted because you don’t, or can’t, come up with an end?

I used to write short stories in a torn up composition notebook everyday at recess on the hill we had under this tree, but whenever I tried to write one of my story ideas, I gave up on the ending because it wasn’t going anywhere and I felt like all the emotion it had in the beginning was wasted, or depleted. Any tips?

Weight Loss Foods
    January 11th, 2014 03:06

Nice post. I’d been looking at constantly this site and i’m pleased! Invaluable information in particular the final component :) I actually handle similarly info significantly. I became looking for this particular data to get a quite a while. Appreciate it and also with good fortune.

toure torkye
    March 18th, 2014 15:15

Thank you very much., You are a good writer.
    In addition to art that will give you good
    I congratulate you

domeinnaam check
    March 20th, 2014 05:32

Hey there, Tidy write-up. There is an issue together with your web-site throughout world-wide-web adventurer, would click here? Internet explorer ‘s still the market industry key and also a huge component of consumers will probably omit the good producing therefore issue.

marketing entry level jobs
    March 24th, 2014 12:25

Very good article. I will be going through some of these
    issues as well..

My web blog – marketing entry level jobs

brisbane builders
    March 26th, 2014 18:16

Hey very interesting blog!

Here is my web-site … brisbane builders