Russian Goliath

November 26th, 2013

Please enjoy the Russian cover of Goliath. The book comes out in December in Russia!

BZ4Evu8CEAIzw2i

And here are the others, for your referencing pleasure:

The lovely Leviathan:

And the possibly even more awesome Behemoth:

Things I like about this series of covers:

Book 1 has Deryn, Book 2 has Alek, and Book 3 has them both. Like the US paperbacks, but with Deryn first.

The clothes are great (especially Alek’s leather trousers). Painter can paint.

Love the Leviathan itself. True to the book, but it glows in a way that only this color medium can produce.

The person in front with the Big Object in the background is kind of a theme of the books. That is, the struggles of the characters are foregrounded, but the scale of background events (and creatures and machines) is always huge and within view. Keith was very careful that the illustrations always alternated between close-ups to pulled-out images, from faces to Big Stuff. It’s nice to see both scales represented here on all three covers.

Well done, Eksmo.

ALSO: If you’ve never read this book I wrote called Uglies before, you can do so now for free on PulseIt, but you have to join up to do so.

30 Responses to “Russian Goliath”

November 26th, 2013 03:39

Those are quite awesome. I can’t really pronounce any of the words on there, though. :P

November 26th, 2013 03:39

And first comment there! He he.

Samus
    November 26th, 2013 04:02

Very cool looking. Although I do wonder what cover artists have against Alec being shorter than Deryn.

Mike
    November 26th, 2013 04:07

There are many more foreign covers to be seen at The Books of Scott Westerfeld (http://fowlervillehistory.org/westerfeld). Other recent editions include the Brazilian edition of Behemoth and new Portuguese editions of Uglies and The Secret Hour.

Panzercrappitastica
    November 26th, 2013 04:35

Why are all the foreign covers for Scott’s books so much awesomer than ours!? D: I love that Leviathan has Deryn with beasties behind her, and Behemoth has Alek with a machine behind him :)

November 26th, 2013 04:55

I agree with Panzercrappitastica, all foreign covers are usually cooler than American ones.
    I do think it would have been cooler to have the titular machine/beastie on each cover. The Leviathan on Leviathan, the behemoth on Behemoth and Goliath on Goliath.

Zac-la
    November 26th, 2013 10:31

My favourite is the (i)Leviathan(/i) cover! It’s amazing!

I’m agreeing with Scott, I love how the actual Leviathan ship looks. The detail is barking good ;) and Deryn looks beautiful!

Hahaha am I the only one that can’t stop looking at these covers?! Why do all foreign countries get way better covers?

Zac-la
    November 26th, 2013 10:31

OH CRAP. Those italics didn’t work

Zac-la
    November 26th, 2013 10:33

AND

I actually think Goliath is my worst. I doesn’t feel as original as the other ones somehow… I looks like Leviathans cover with Alec just dropped there next to Deryn.

Panzercrappitastica
    November 26th, 2013 18:47

6: Wouldn’t it be spoilery if there was a picture of Goliath on the cover?

Maria Jones
    November 26th, 2013 18:56

I LOVE these covers! They’re amazing! <3

nerezza-la
    November 27th, 2013 00:18

“if you’ve never read this book I wrote called Uglies”…what? Who in their right mind hasn’t read Uglies? I even convinced my mom to read the series, and she loved it.

also, the Russian covers are, as usual, more awesome than ours.

November 27th, 2013 01:34

@10: I don’t think so. Anyone who hadn’t read the book just wouldn’t know what it was. And it wouldn’t spoil the climactic ending of what Goliath does.
    Unless unassuming readers connect that the title and picture match…but would they? I don’t think so. It’d probably be one of those things that just went over people’s heads.

Panzercrappitastica
    November 27th, 2013 03:21

@12: So did I. She also liked Peeps.

Did anyone else notice the high level of orange scarves in these covers?

November 27th, 2013 09:17

Maybe it’s about time I reread Uglies for the nth time.
    Also, Scott-la, any update on Shay’s 3rd book? pretty please?

Zac-la
    November 27th, 2013 11:25

@14 yes so many orange scarves! xD

November 27th, 2013 17:57

Those covers look really really awesome. I think I’d buy the books just for the cover, you know.

@13 – well, perhaps Goliat wouldn’t be so spoilery, but Behemoth would be, at least for me, because it was a big surprise to see the drawing of the Behemoth in the book. Though perhaps you’re right, and people wouldn’t think about it that much.

Sandy
    November 27th, 2013 20:40

Pretending that Alek is standing on a rock so he can look taller than Deryn. I love these covers so much, I think they are gorgeous. I want them even though I can’t speak Russian. Any chance they can be sold as prints? :D.

November 28th, 2013 03:54

This is completely off topic of LBG covers, or even anything Scott-related, but I was excited so I thought I’d share:

I PASSED THE TSI (Texas Success Initiative)!!! Woo!! I’m going to do dual credit at community college in the spring!!!!!!!! :D

Panzercrappitastica
    November 28th, 2013 10:38

@15: Seconded. Where are our Specials?
    @18: Look at their knees! Alek is so standing on a rock.
    @19: Congradulations!

November 28th, 2013 12:28

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire has officially been watched.

Needless to say, it was awesome.

Zac-la
    November 29th, 2013 11:45

Who’s watched Catching Fire? I saw it today. It was completely flawless!

November 30th, 2013 03:14

@22: I know, right?!? I just loved it! I desperately want to see it again, but I don’t want to pay $11 on a movie I’ve already seen. :/
    The only thing I don’t like is the love triangle. I know it was a part of the book, but it annoyed me then too. I think it actually takes away from the story (at least film-wise). Gale kisses her, and she’s kinda like “Sorry, you’re friend-zoned,” but then proceeds to kiss him two more times before she leaves. And she completely friend-zones Peeta the whole year after they get back (they weren’t even friends, actually), and then suddenly she’s acting like she’s in love with him (without any particular reason. It’s not like he did something totally out of character or brave or meaningful or anything like that to make her do a sudden double-take).
    As far as the movies are concerned, I think the trying to survive the Games and overthrow Snow is totally enough for one kick-ass movie without any love interest for Katniss at all. You could throw in one guy for romantically (as long as it doesn’t take too much of the storyline), but having a love triangle for her just makes it like countless other stupid YA novels when it could be better than that. (Also, I’ve always been really annoyed that Peeta was secretly in love with her for YEARS when he’s never even talked to her. He should have just developed feelings for her during the Games and pre-Games socializing/training.)
    But besides that, it is epic and awesome and *feels*!!!

I’m also excited to see Frozen (well, and of course The Hobbit: DOS). Anyone else?

Denis
    November 30th, 2013 11:48

Those covers are freaking gorgeous! Any chance we could get versions without the copy text? They’d make a beautiful poster set! I can’t read a work of Russian, but I’d import these just to have them on my shelf! Beautiful.

Zac-la
    November 30th, 2013 11:59

@23 woah woah woah.

Haha well because the love triangle was an integral part of the novel they couldn’t really exclude it from the film, could they? That would have caused riots bigger than the ones in the movie (I”M SO FUNNY).

I think Katniss was confused and in no position for a stable relationship. Obviously Gale and Peeta were already in love with her and she kind of sought refuge in whoever was around at the time? Well no, she never even thought about Gale in that way until HE kissed her.

What’s wrong with Peeta being in love with her for years? :P I thought that was good. It would have been fake if he had fallen in love with her within a couple of weeks. But it is funny how he was too shy (??) to talk to Katniss prior to the Reaping and then after that suddenly he was outgoing with his feelings…

Julia
    December 3rd, 2013 07:38

they are so pretty I wish the English copies me like that.

February 3rd, 2014 10:46

that you spell outAnnounces Results for the First 1 / 4 of Fiscal 2013AUM declined by approximately $56 million during the quarter ended December 31, 2012 to $1 It demonstrated the character trait within Silva that truly makes him great his changability Such lightning internet speeds mean faster browsing and downloading for 3Gs customers who live in areas with 3G networkLongevity Factor: Armani Trade offers modern leathertrimmed as well as velvet blazers that lend a contemporary, uptodate variat

tarahi nama
    February 17th, 2014 15:44

I looks like Leviathans cover with Alec just dropped there next to Dery

February 27th, 2014 07:08

will look for an offensive tackle in the second roundThe one thing that has changed since that horrendous start is the person calling the signals. For whatever reason, Tebow has brought a spark to the Broncos and their fan base. And, with apologies to Aaron Rodgers and the stillunbeaten Green Bay Packers, he the story of the year in the NFL.. “When you have a firstyear official, it very difficult for that crew to perform as well as some of the veteran crews, because you have to spend a lot more

toure estanbul
    March 15th, 2014 12:53

Well it’s just that I’ve always been a book-is-better-than-movie person, and well, I really really love THG books, but not so much the movie. I got the feeling it was only aimed at people who didn’t read the book. I don’t know, but still, I think Catching Fire will be way better, and well…Finnick, of course.