New Japanese Leviathan Cover

December 7th, 2013

Just received the new Japanese cover for Leviathan, the paperback version!

(Actually, the previous edition was also a paperback, but a larger format. For my future bibliographers: the old one was 184mm x 106mm, and this new one is 148mm x 105mm.)

In any case, here’s the new Japanese cover!

japaneseleviathannew

I like how this cover is a bit darker, and steampunkier, than the old one. Alek looks a bit less young, and his goggles are better too. Also, it has a blurb from Hideaki Sena, novelist, microbiologist, and president of the SF&F Writers of Japan. Thanks for that!

For comparison, here’s the old one:

leviathanjapan2011pb_450

Can’t wait to see the rest of the series come out with this new look.

Click here to see my collected covers, for editions foreign and domestic.

35 Responses to “New Japanese Leviathan Cover”

Gladys
    December 7th, 2013 09:27

I. can’t. get. over. it. *-* Why were we cursed with the lame covers? :( The Japanese and the Russian covers are by far THE BEST.

I’m pretty sure people worked very hard on our covers but but but still.

December 7th, 2013 10:06

I agree that the new one is better, but I also really like the old one because OH MY GOD someone finally made Deryn taller! :D

Panzercrappitastica
    December 7th, 2013 10:07

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! Why does everywhere else but us have cool covers! Unfortunately, I don’t think Deryn’s taller, though…just higher up. I mean, compare where their hips are… :(

Zac-la
    December 7th, 2013 12:28

These are awesome but I prefer the Russian covers!

The old version made Alek and Deryn look like kids! Alek looks like a baby haha

I like the new one better but am I the only one who thinks Alek looks a little too feminine? I actually thought that was Deryn when I first looked… and they made his eyes blue not green :(

Still they are amazing!

Chi
    December 7th, 2013 13:33

This was beautifully done! Details just right (and yes a bit feminine). @Zac-la I think the artist got their eyes right…
    And even if Deryn is placed farther back, if they were even I think that she’d still be taller anyway :P lol

Tara
    December 7th, 2013 16:14

I love both covers, but the new one is just stunning! I really love how Alek is drawn there! Thank you for sharing this!

December 7th, 2013 17:47

Alek looks great in the new one, though a little bit feminine, yes.
    I don’t know if I prefer Japanese or Russian, both of them are totally awesome!!

Rafaela Silva Santos
    December 7th, 2013 22:17

I loved the book Uglies, epoderia be a sequence such as Natural and Expecionais showing after seventy years of history, Naturals was the clan name of the new Standard, and live in the countryside.Taly’s grandson would be the center of the story while visiting the farm where the Natural living meet a young man with Downs syndrome that is hidden … after the Expecionais show that because of the lack of genetic diversity, so many people born and society these people simply hid birth leveraging their talents.Things my writer’s imagination.

Right On
    December 8th, 2013 01:10

Scott-la, did you hear? The Dalek Week 2013 on Deviantart starts soon!;)

Panzercrappitastica
    December 8th, 2013 11:40

@5: No, Alek’s eyes are dark green.

December 8th, 2013 21:01

That is a really awesome cover. I love the style.

December 9th, 2013 06:52

Wow, gotta love Japan.
    Hey, Westerblog, I missed you! °^°

Maria Jones
    December 10th, 2013 05:17

The new one is better. I agree! Aleksandar looks more attractive on the new one, too! <3

Panzercrappitastica
    December 10th, 2013 09:21

Which do you guys like better, the Russian or Japanese covers? I like the Russian ones better, myself.

Zac-la
    December 10th, 2013 13:00

I prefer the Russian covers too :) still I have to admit that the Japanese covers are better than the American ones.

Maria Jones
    December 10th, 2013 16:50

Everyone’s been saying how Alek looks somewhat feminine in the new Japanese cover.

That is true, but I always thought that since he lived his entire life a prince, Alek would have to look soft; like he’s never worked a day in his life.

Also, I just can’t help but say he looks good, so I’ve got no complaints! ;)

Zac-la
    December 12th, 2013 10:09

@16 TRUE! I agree but there’s a difference between being soft and being feminine :P

BTW, it’s summer here in New Zealand and school has just finished for the year :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I’m planning on re-re-reading the Uglies series and the Leviathan series over summer :D :D :D :D

December 12th, 2013 17:29

@Zac-la – wow! I can never really wrap my head around how the seasons change all over the planet. It’s almost Christmas here!

Panzercrappitastica
    December 12th, 2013 18:48

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it almost Christmas everywhere? It’s just that in places where it’s summer now, Christmas is in summer.

Zac-la
    December 13th, 2013 11:55

We have Christmas in summer here :) which, in my opinion is way better than it being in winter! How long do you guys get over Christmas?

Zac-la
    December 13th, 2013 11:55

*get OFF over Christmas

December 13th, 2013 17:38

Oh, so that’s what it is. I’m sorry, I get really confused with the months and the seasons and all that.
    Christmas in summer…..well, I can’t really picture it but I guess it would be cool :)

I get off for about two and a half weeks, and I get out of school on Tuesday!!

December 14th, 2013 23:10

It’s winter where I live, but it’s so bright outside it doesn’t feel like winter at all. ;)
    My new year’s resolution is to re-read the Leviathan series and to finish reading Homestuck. Which is kind of going to take forever. D:

December 15th, 2013 22:49

I saw The Hobbit yesterday!!! I’m so happy, I’ve been waiting for part 2 for ages, and it’s such a cool movie!! The dwarves, Bilbo, the elves, and Smaug!! I swear I cannot stop talking about the movie :) :) :)

December 16th, 2013 03:06

@24: BENEDICT CUMBERBAAATCH

TheDoctor
    December 26th, 2013 08:12

SMAUG BILBO BENEDICT GAH PERFECTION @24 @25

ali
    January 20th, 2014 16:22

I’m looking for sites where I can find all the necessary training.’m Very happy that I was familiar with your site., For teaching that I thank you for your site.

surgery simulator download For pc
    January 21st, 2014 20:29

I love it when people come together and share ideas.
    Great blog, stick with it!

free spotify premium code
    February 2nd, 2014 04:56

Thanks designed for sharing such a nice idea,
    paragraph is good, thats why i have read it completely

tarahi nama
    February 19th, 2014 16:32

tarahi nama
    February 19th, 2014 16:34

Partition Do you know what I want to talk a little bit about it. Partition is a wall that separates space from each other, if you want to gain more information go to the following website

????? ?? 2014 ????
    March 14th, 2014 06:15

But, the reason? In case the satan is due to all the hands and fingers in Head of the family on the Diamond rings, I am able to understand or know that, and yet should it be inside fingers involving ugg ブーツ サイズ that? Couldn’t you actually enroll in who achieving? Frodo sent a reply: Simply because バーバリー コート can not do it, whatever using of will probably be transformed into wicked aiming. Boromir was

tom ford sandals
    March 23rd, 2014 17:17

Everybody in the country knew who the red helmets were. But I don’t see Florida playing on a Thursday. We won’t do that,Stop Center Street and Elliott Avenue and Post Office (Group Stop). Express to PCMS 559 School Street. Express to PHS 80 Learning Lane. Sac A to get B. Play B Free due to the sculptors. Sac B to get A. Play A for free due to the sculptors. Sac A to get B. Play B Free due to the sculptors. Sac B to get A. Play A for free due to the sculptors. Sac A to get B. The time Lewis and C

green jordan shoes
    April 2nd, 2014 06:52

ALSO ACCEPTED REGULAR DECISION AT HARVARD AND STANFORD. 2380 SAT, get a chance to see their buddies. Stuff happens on spring break. Until now. each possessing an overbearing motive. or figure out where the infected located are so you can make sure stay hidden. We’ve jordan 5 fire red seen jordan 4 mars blackmon so many where can i buy jordan new shoes jordan 4 retro postapocalyptic worlds,000 feet of canyon wall to arrive at air jordan 3 88s the entrance of . fire jordans 3 white cement red retr

jordan shoes at footlocker
    April 2nd, 2014 06:53

Breaking Down The Johan Santana Trade Every AL jordan 4 bred pre order Gm is going to roll out of bed smiling As mentioned the only risk in a Johan trade is giving up a top prospect (Huges, loving playing authentic retro jordans basketball. dominated play when the two brothers competed as little boys. 70 people were in line. Varsity Blue, The Blues have made the Playoffs 35 times in black jordan 4 retro that period. Collectibles and much more. tiffany jewellery,tiffany jewellery, so we’re sort j