Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: Meet-up #2 of 2012  (Read 62422 times)

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
Re: Meet-up #2 of 2012
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »

If I want to become a writer do I have to leave my nice comfortable Winter wonderland/God forsaking land where poplar bears dwell and move to NY or some big city? 

ChickWithThePurpleGuitar

« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »

Can I make up Hoffman's first name?

It should be Harold, since Fitzroys isn't.
Hmm... it's very British...

M

I suppose...

sandy5

« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »

Hoffman...
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

ChickWithThePurpleGuitar

« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »

Moonie

• Barking princes.
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »

Scott-la, are you a nerdfighter?

He isn't, but he's friends with John and makes fun of him frequently.

Reenie-La

« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »

Also, Scott, you're awesome for taking time to do the meet ups!  ;D Thank you!

Yes~! Thanks be to Scott~! ;D
(and me for asking him, lol <33 )
But I am just happy that my favorite author is so amazing as to do this sorta thing~! (:

Emma-la

« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »

WAIT SCOTT IS FRIENDS WITH JOHN GREEN?!
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
*~*RESIDENT FORUM ROLEPLAYING ADDICT*~*

Nina-Chan

• Fantastic!
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »

WAS HOFFMAN CALLED HOFFMAN BECAUSE OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST??
Member since 01.06.10

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

Scott, what makes you decide between titling your chapters, numbering them or both? what are the benefits for each?

Chapter titles are hard, but they're a good way to create anticipation. (A chapter called, "A Mysterious Explosion" will be read with a certain amount of anxiety.) However, a surprosing number of readers don't look at chapter titles.

Chapter numbers are good for readers to refer to when talking about your books to each other.

AGH sorry I was wrong about the Cutters release date

NO I WAS WRONG YOU ARE RIGHT.

Another question: Do you like the idea of Volger and Barlow being together?

I think it is inevitable that people will ship them, even though Barlow is married. They do match each other very well.

Will you be coming to Vic, Australia any time in the next 12 months?

I was just there for a wedding. But for an event, I'm not sure. I am doing the Adelaide Writer's Festival in March, though.

What is your view on cliches in writing and how to avoid them (if they're avoidable at all?)

As I said above, reading your work aloud will make the cliches (and other crappinnesses) more obvious to you.

If you could choose.....which Disney movie would you love to be a character in?

Anything where I can fly. So that's probably Aladdin, or I have to be Mary Poppins.

Ok Well I just got a boyfriend Friday(<3), I am 14, how old were you when you got your first Girlfriend/(I don't know if you are/were bisexual/bicurious when you were younger so)Boyfriend?

Hmm. My first serious gf was when I was . . . 15? But there were all these non-serious girlfriends before that. I was pretty crap at defining things until, like, age 27.

If you come to New York (like the Albany area) and I came to a real life meet-up would you rather me wear my "Special Circumstances" t-shirt or "Free Hugs" t-shirt? 

SPECIAL t-shirt.

1) Which series of books are you most satisfied with?

The Leviathan series. Usually the most recent books please me most. (Just as I'm sure your parents like the youngest child in your family best.) ((HAHA JUST KIDDING))  (((Kind of.)))

2) Is/was it difficult writing the point of view from the opposite gender?

Not really. I think teenage girls think more about what they're feeling than teenage boys, so it's kind of easier to write from their POV, regardless of my own gender.

Why did you choose Clankers and Darwinists; why not another thing?

WHAT OTHER THING IS THERE? WWI was kind of collision between metal and flesh (first war with tanks, etc.) so I wanted to make that more literal.

Leivathan is quite different than Uglies series,why did you prefer that subject?

I LIKE ZEE AIRSHIPS.

Are you coming to Michigan or Ohio any time soon? You did once in the fall of 2010, which was an abnormally cold fall/winter and it's not always like that so don't be afraid to come back!

No US tours for a while. I haz no books out.

Do people ever say anything rude to you about you being a writer?

In person? Usually not. But concerned adults write me all the time about whatever in my books. (Cutting in Uglies, alcohol in Uglies, the fact that pipe smoking is MENTIONED BRIEFLY in Leviathan, evolution being discussed. Apparently you are all VERY IMPRESSIONABLE.)

I don't have any questions, but I just wanted to say hi.

BACk AT YOU.

Will you make a Europe tour?

Don't know.

When Behemoth will be finished in Turkey???

It isn't yet? Hmm. Maybe the publisher is concerned about the Armenian heroine. You should write them and ask.

My brother just asked me to ask you if Deryn and Alek ever went back to Turkey or Japan.

Definitely. They travel the world solving things!

Echo :)

« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »

Scott: You type really fast, I'm impressed :) ...
And I think that you should have justine get on and do a meetup with you sometime... :D (And hey, maybe you could just make it an author party... and invite other epic peeps too...... Just a thought :) )
“He looks," Simon had once said to Isabelle, "like he's thinking about something deep and meaningful, but if you ask him what it is, he'll punch you in the face.” ~CoFA

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

Scott I know from writing and reading YA books that it's really hard to make cool human main characters, WHY IS THIS?! And you seem to have gotten better that it Deryn> Tally how did you manage to do this? 

ChickWithThePurpleGuitar

« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

Hello. First off, I’m really enjoying reading the Uglies series. I recently finished reading Pretties and am looking forward to reading the rest! Thanks so much for a great story. 

During my reading of Pretties, I noticed that the story is fairly dependent on the fact that Zane and Tally needed to heat their metal interface cuffs in order to get them off. You’ve probably already had people point this out, but since metal expands when heated, the cuffs would have actually gotten tighter, not looser. Although, if they were heated enough that the metal became pliable, they could have come off that way. (If you want a more lengthy explanation, I posted one on the Uglies Forum.)

I’m curious, was this an oversight on your and your editor’s part, or were Zane and Tally just a bit misinformed and got lucky when the metal got heated enough to become pliable?

Thanks so much!

Please answer this it's a serious question...

He answered that...

Oh god moonie don't ask that what if he pulls a Hussie and is like I SEE EVERYTHING
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

sandy5

« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »

What is working for the Society like?
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

Moonie

• Barking princes.
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

Also, new book: 1 protagonist, 2, or eight, and are they boys/girls/aliens of indeterminate gender?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25