Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Why are the Germans the evil?  (Read 16225 times)

Daft_Prince

• Also known elsewhere as BowlerFish
Re: Why are the Germans the evil?
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

Straif, I swear I'm gonna start counting the percentage of posts you mention Darwin's Fist in. I'm thinking about 20%?

Honestly, I don't think it makes the Germans look evil. They're simply on the other side to most of the characters, so they're naturally the threat. I'm sure if the protagonists were German soldiers we'd be sympathetic towards them. Also, it is noted that the British wanted the war as much as everyone else, and Alek doesn't feel good about killing Germans.

Personally, I blame the war on Austro-Hungary. They were the first to mount an invasion, and its not like the Emporer actually cared about Ferdinand. I may have read wrong, but I though Germany's Schleifen plan was made after Austria had told them of their intent?

Daft_Prince

« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »

Also, Hi. 'Been a while since I posted here. I might stick around a bit but I won't be too active. I've got too much year 12 on my plate, I don't need anything more to procrastinate with.

artimousguy

• Wat up!! :)
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »

Yeah I know what you mean I need to finish a project that is due a month from last Tuesday and I am just to busy on this. :P
When you laugh it makes my day when I'm sad, or if I'm already happy it makes my day even better so thanks.
            -Me

If you haven't noticed I have a great life

One Person

• Good. I'm always good.
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »

The Nazis are the worst Germans, and they are evil, yes?

But i know that's in WW2...I think Adolf Hitler is the only evil german if he appeared in Leviathan.
I'm a Bandit of this forum!

Time Blitz

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

He's not even German, at that.

artimousguy

« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »

Well there are too many rumors of stuff about adolf but way too many I don't even think are true.
When you laugh it makes my day when I'm sad, or if I'm already happy it makes my day even better so thanks.
            -Me

Time Blitz

« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »

It isn't a rumor that he was Austrian, it's a known fact. He also was claustrophobic, and was missing....some of his junk.

sandy5

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure he was also a vegetarian.
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

artimousguy

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »

THere were many rumors I also saw one saying he was a jew and he hated them because he was mocked by them his whole life and wanted revenge.  :-\
            -Me

Daft_Prince

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »

The Nazis are the worst Germans, and they are evil, yes?

But i know that's in WW2...I think Adolf Hitler is the only evil german if he appeared in Leviathan.
I'm sure there were other evil Germans, there are evil people in every nation. Not to mention that Hitler was not solely responsible for the rise of the Nazi Party.

Hey! I'm finally a hero member! Looks like it happened when I finally came back, so I assume this is the forums recognising me as a veteran. 8)

artimousguy

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2013, 06:29:05 AM »

Congrats ;D
            -Me

Rascal

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »

Part of this is due to the history books, but in World War I the Germans were in a tough position. France wasn't happy with them because of the Franco-Prussian War. Germany had only been its own empire since 1871. Britain dominated most of the world with its vast colonies too, even though Germany wanted to increase its own Navy and influence. And then of course the Germans still had Russia on its border, with only Germany and Austria-Hungary as the sole buffers between it and the rest of Europe.

Taking all of this into account, the Germans could have either rolled over and suffered France and Britain's thumb, or they could seek a war and hope to grab some colonies and territory in the process. Furthermore, this would cement them as a world power (not just a European power), and also quiet anti-Monarch unrest caused by the growing power of the Social Democratic party. Unify everyone with a war and all that, you know.

So, it wasn't so much that Germany was evil in WW1, but they had very few options other than giving up their ambitions or joining a war. Despite the discrete moral compass of the world of Leviathan, France, Britain and Russia were not blameless for what led to WW1.

There are even those that would argue that WW2 and the rise of the Nazi Party was a direct result of the Treaty of Versailles.

Kaiser Beowulf

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2013, 02:55:29 AM »

The Germans aren't evil, it's just the fact that they are opposed to both Deryn and Alek that makes it seem that way. Also, many of the European powers at the time felt threatened by a powerful Germany, so it was only natural to be afraid.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2013, 04:08:19 AM »

All fear Germany and her mighty technological superiority, aye...anyone remeber the Herkules?
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Kaiser Beowulf

« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:59 AM »

This is why I think Clankers are better than Darwinists.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11