Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Obscure Series  (Read 18160 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Obscure Series
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »

yeah, Cat you might want to wait a few years before you read that, it has a lot of good themes on society and culture but Gaiman's books  are known for being dark and his adult books\ short stories aren't just dark but very explicit.

his first book for children was Coraline. and everyone knows how creepy that movie is. I haven't read the book but I read review on it that I think it was by booklist and it was described as Alice in Wonderland on acid.
I've read it, but I don't remember much about it. I've read The Graveyard Book, though, that was really good :) I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone on here.

I don't know how I've forgotten this one up until now: The Books of Umber by P.W. Catanese. I loved those books.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Julia the Bookworm

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »

yeah I read the graveyard book, except I had to return it before I could finish the last chapter and then I never got around to checking it out again. I liked it though.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »

I LOVE NEIL GAIMAN AND THE GRAVEYARD BOOK WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITES AND CORALINE AND ALL THE NEIL GAIMAN I LOVE HIM
But yeah his adult books are super...dark. American Gods is super good, though.

Higher, further, faster

Julia the Bookworm

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »

American gods is being adapted into a TV show by HBO, and I think Gaiman is helping write the script.  what I'd really like to see is the graveyard book being turned into a movie.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »

He BETTER be helpingn with the script.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Echo :)

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2020, 04:26:50 AM »

Here I go, pulling up old threads again! I just have gotten back in to reading a lot more again, so I'm all about the book options.

Some books that are/were a bit less popular but I've enjoyed:

Roar - Cora Carmack, definitely left some to be desired, but I thoroughly enjoyed the plot and uniqueness of these

Incarceron - Catherine Fisher,  Okay so I think these may be a little more popular than obscure, but I read them when they first came out and they were really good and just stumbled across them while unboxing books at the new house

The Twixt - Dawn Metcalf, I remember thinking these books were the best!

Razorland - Ann Aguirre, These reminded me of Dashner books, but I thought they were pretty good
You could rattle the stars. You could do anything, if only you dared.
ToG

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2020, 05:43:06 AM »

Not exactly obscure, but has anyone read the Avatar Kyoshi books?
Member since April 24th 2010
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]