Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: who is the creater of the clanker machines, who created the idea  (Read 2679 times)

ClankerClapper

i dont just mean who fixes them i mean who said lets make machines that can run faster then a train.
there are two things that are infinite..... the universe and human stupidity

--Albert Einstein

sandy5

Re: who is the creater of the clanker machines, who created the idea
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »

Hmm... Clanker engineers? I guess that, at first, they probably didn't run faster than trains, but as they continued to be improved and innovated, the machines became faster.
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

artimousguy

• Wat up!! :)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »

Benjamin Franklin was the first :P
When you laugh it makes my day when I'm sad, or if I'm already happy it makes my day even better so thanks.
            -Me

If you haven't noticed I have a great life

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »

Doubt it. It sounds like the Clanker/Darwinist split happened about the time that evolution was discovered. Franklin was dead for nearly a century by then. My guess? Just like in real life, anyone who has the knowlage to work a machine. The Clankers obviously have walker companies, as does America.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

artimousguy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

Yeah probably but it is cool how he had America on both sides.
When you laugh it makes my day when I'm sad, or if I'm already happy it makes my day even better so thanks.
            -Me

Straif

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

Well it makes sense. We were split in the first war...
(Way I see it Amercia would be hybrid; Clanker machines with Darwininst bits and vice veras, like the Mexicans)
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

artimousguy

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »

Yeah that's what I was thinking but more like the Westside is Darwinist with a few clanker cities, and vise versa.
            -Me

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »

I don't actually see anything (in my brief research) pointing to any German origin for Walkers. I think they were definitely invented in the mid-19th century, in Russia or the United States. At the very least, the base designs that could have been the origin of these machines seems to become common around this time. Things like the Derek and Grass Steam Man, Goodwin Mechanical Horse, and Chebyshev Walking Platform all seem like good bases for the creation of a walking machine.

I imagine someone invented a walking vehicle that could compete with horses over long distances, and didn't require the laying of long tracks like locomotives did. Competition between the two machines for use in transportation of goods would account for the rapid advancements in speed and capacity. Ultimately, the hauling capacity of a lone locomotive beat the walking machines. The walkers likely became popular in areas where laying of track was too costly, or in rough terrain. I could definitely imagine that multi-legged walkers would have been used as platforms for cranes and other construction equipment.

Advancements could also be accountable to wars of the time. Caterpillar tracks non-existant and automobiles lacking in harsh terrain, walkers would have been popular in wars. No doubt they were simply slow, armoured gun platforms, but such a machine would have been game-changing as they become quicker and stronger. While Britain was growing beasts for battle, central European powers were changing the rules of organized warfare.

artimousguy

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »

Sorry I was too lazy to read all of that but I know that they found some evidence that Hitler was trying to make a UFO type aircraft in WW2 in one of his secret facilites.
            -Me

Straif

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »

Oh yeah that thing. It wold have never worked. They could barely get the ME 262 to work right.
Resident Halo Fanatic

artimousguy

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »

Well their designs were good. Scientist said that it would have worked if they had a little more time.

But they also found some walking machine blueprints of some kind also.
            -Me

sandy5

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

I don't actually see anything (in my brief research) pointing to any German origin for Walkers. I think they were definitely invented in the mid-19th century, in Russia or the United States. At the very least, the base designs that could have been the origin of these machines seems to become common around this time. Things like the Derek and Grass Steam Man, Goodwin Mechanical Horse, and Chebyshev Walking Platform all seem like good bases for the creation of a walking machine.

I imagine someone invented a walking vehicle that could compete with horses over long distances, and didn't require the laying of long tracks like locomotives did. Competition between the two machines for use in transportation of goods would account for the rapid advancements in speed and capacity. Ultimately, the hauling capacity of a lone locomotive beat the walking machines. The walkers likely became popular in areas where laying of track was too costly, or in rough terrain. I could definitely imagine that multi-legged walkers would have been used as platforms for cranes and other construction equipment.

Advancements could also be accountable to wars of the time. Caterpillar tracks non-existant and automobiles lacking in harsh terrain, walkers would have been popular in wars. No doubt they were simply slow, armoured gun platforms, but such a machine would have been game-changing as they become quicker and stronger. While Britain was growing beasts for battle, central European powers were changing the rules of organized warfare.
Well, that was pretty darn impressive.
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »

Thanks. I had a whole class period to come up with that. I'd of written more, but I thought I wouldn't be able to get on during my next class. Don't remember what I was about to add when the bell rang, sadly.

artimousguy

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »

Oh well glad too hear more when you think of it.
            -Me