Scott Westerfeld Forum

Poll

why do you not like the host?

the author who wrote it
read the book and just didnt like it for some reason
havent read it
actually did kinda like the book

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: why do people not like the Host by Stephanie Myer?  (Read 2950 times)

booklover

why do people not like the Host by Stephanie Myer?
« on: March 30, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »

Ok so lots of people are hatting on the Host by Stephanie Myer and I am wondering why sooo...
People ask me how I keep up with life, color guard, and school.  I always laugh and tell them I don't.

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
Re: why do people not like the Host by Stephanie Myer?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »

Because we know of the author and do not like her writing style. Personally, I've never heard of the book, and the premise sounds worn enough that I'd rather read the same thing from an author I trust. Like Stephen King.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »

^ This.
Also, because Stephanie Meyer is an insult to writers everywhere.

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »

I wouldn't say insult, she's no better or worse than the average fanfic writer. The difference is that her books got insanely popular. It's a shame something good like John Carter (which had the worst marketing team ever) slips by without much fanfare but Twilight gets all the attention in the world.

kristina-la

• A 1000 times I've failed still your mercy remains
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

All above :P She has turned the young adult fiction world into a complete joke and that is cause enough for me to disapprove of anything she writes. I could also say i dissaprove of her ideas on life and how one should live but I won't because just the other day I was getting angered at the people boycotting Orson Scott card because of his view on homosexuality. I get that people do not like his view or his actions but that should not be a reason to boycott one's work. Ender's game is quite amazing and I would hate to see the intolerance of people (who are seemingly fighting against tolerance ::)) get in the way of such good writer!

tractionera...Cassie clare was an average fanfic writer and her books are very very popular. Difference...she can write and her books are original.

“No matter how filthy something gets, you can always clean it right up”

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »

When I said average, I meant the people who crank out fanfiction with the writing ability of a third grader. Anyway, I've never heard of Cassie Clare, what's something that she's written?

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

... The Mortal Instruments series? Y‘know, City of Bones? Which has a movie coming out...

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »

Oh, that I've heard of. Never read it tho, so I can't say anything about it.

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

it's pretty good; mostly I love it because her ability to create characters is amazing and the witty one liners are perfect. One of the most quotable YA books out there.

MercyResurrected

• Death Inspires Me Like a Dog Inspires a Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »

Wait up! None on you actually read the book and are judging it?

Let me take a moment to inform you that I have ACTUALLY READ this novel. I read it having no idea that she wrote Twilight, my friend just told me it was good and I read it. It is great. The conflict of the main character literally fighting within herself is an amazing concept. It's very thrilling and the fact that you guys judged that book because you didn't like another work the author wrote, that's pretty low. I know for a fact that some of you don't like Leviathan. What if Scott had written it first and then you decided to never read anything else by him?

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:16 PM »

I haven't said anything bad about the novel. I just don't have enough faith in Meyer to read something with a premise that's been done before by authors I actually trust to take a unique spin on it. It might be good, but a books is a time investment that I am not willing to make for the author of Twilight.

Well, to be frank, they wouldn't be here.

Bea-la

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 01:32:33 AM »

Wait up! None on you actually read the book and are judging it?

Let me take a moment to inform you that I have ACTUALLY READ this novel. I read it having no idea that she wrote Twilight, my friend just told me it was good and I read it. It is great. The conflict of the main character literally fighting within herself is an amazing concept. It's very thrilling and the fact that you guys judged that book because you didn't like another work the author wrote, that's pretty low. I know for a fact that some of you don't like Leviathan. What if Scott had written it first and then you decided to never read anything else by him?
Brilliantly said. 

I actually read The Host and thought it was really good.  (Yes I did at one point like Twilight.) But regardless of that The Host was like 5000 times better than Twilight.  I have no problem with people hating a book, but you have to actually read it before you criticize it. 

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »

I had to return The Host before I finished it, but I must say, it had a more mature feel to it than Twilight.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »

Its more mature yes, but its really really bad sci-fi. At least, the little bit I read of it before I put it back on the shelf and forgot about it.
Then again I read it just after I'd returned Boneshaker, which is REALLY good steampunk sci-fi zombie whatevermacallit, so maybe I'm a little biased.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »

I haven't said anything bad about the novel. I just don't have enough faith in Meyer to read something with a premise that's been done before by authors I actually trust to take a unique spin on it. It might be good, but a books is a time investment that I am not willing to make for the author of Twilight.

Well, to be frank, they wouldn't be here.

honestly that's my main reasoning; I would like to read it just so that I have a legit reason to frown upon it (I did that with Twilight but I couldn't get past book two. I feel like that book made me dumber :P).
I don't have the time and time that I do have to read is devoted to books that I actually care about like Gone. Clockwork princess....etc....

Pages: [1] 2