Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: how do you feel about the whole idea?  (Read 2734 times)

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
how do you feel about the whole idea?
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »

For me it's complicated... when i first started reading the series i was totally against the whole procedure dr.cable came up with because the adventure with Shay-la was just so intriguing...so i wanted Tally-wa to escape so badly and to live with dave.... But then in the second book i thought it wouldn't be so bad.. i love Zane to death....and i liked the pretty world to a point. so in my head i thought the procedure would be fine without the lesions.. ... people could look the way they wanted to with the surges and everyone could be happy. I mean.. the whole thing had a good intention just i dont agree with the lesions...so what do you think?
Breathe in the air of pandemonium....

ScathachWarrior

Re: how do you feel about the whole idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »

The idea of having a perfect society, with everyone happy, with no wars, sounded totally tantilzing in the begining of Uglies. Who wouldn't want to live like that? But, when I learned about what being a Pretty really meant,  I realized how truly bogus Pretties are. so, the idea is awesome, but the reality? Not so happy-making after all!

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »

oh yahh. i so agreee... It would be nervous-making to be perfect all the time....and on top of that once you know somthing is wrong with everyone..that is totally bogus.

kjhgdhhp.

• So it's been a while huh?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:22:14 AM »

oh yahh. i so agreee... It would be nervous-making to be perfect all the time....and on top of that once you know somthing is wrong with everyone..that is totally bogus.

I half agree, totally bogus if you know about what's going on... but what about if you didn't??

Before Tally and Shay came along, no-one died, population was steady, and there were infinite resources... so no famine, no hunger... if you ask me, so long as you have the lesions it's perfect, it's when you get rid of them there's a problem :)

Now if you could make the procedure automated, have automated food, and automated production of complex items, as well as having automated machines to do all the jobs where you would previously have needed to have the lesions removed... then you really do have the perfect society... because there is simply no greed, everyone is just content :)

Well, except for the uglies, but they've got something to look forward to ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »

I half agree, totally bogus if you know about what's going on... but what about if you didn't??

Before Tally and Shay came along, no-one died, population was steady, and there were infinite resources... so no famine, no hunger... if you ask me, so long as you have the lesions it's perfect, it's when you get rid of them there's a problem :)

Now if you could make the procedure automated, have automated food, and automated production of complex items, as well as having automated machines to do all the jobs where you would previously have needed to have the lesions removed... then you really do have the perfect society... because there is simply no greed, everyone is just content :)

Well, except for the uglies, but they've got something to look forward to ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WELL... it is kind of scary to think of a utopia like that... things were great yah..but it was against peoples's will..i think maybe if people knew about them they could vote? or talk about it..but not have people mess with their brains.... i mean.. look at Diego...they were doing great without the lesions......

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:25 AM »

not exactly they were clear-cutting weren't they. From the Specials point of view going back to rusty ways which was technicaly true.

kjhgdhhp.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:23:45 AM »

And if you look at Aya's city in Extras they had to go back to a monetary system (well granted it wasn't as bad as what we have now... no inflation, interest, or 90% gain on capital) but still everything wasn't free and people wern't content... they were constantly wanting more surge, a better story, they all wanted something... Extra =/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »

not exactly they were clear-cutting weren't they. From the Specials point of view going back to rusty ways which was technicaly true.

well in my opinion things were fine until the attack.

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »

And if you look at Aya's city in Extras they had to go back to a monetary system (well granted it wasn't as bad as what we have now... no inflation, interest, or 90% gain on capital) but still everything wasn't free and people wern't content... they were constantly wanting more surge, a better story, they all wanted something... Extra =/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i didnt read extras...kkind of because it isn't in tally's P.O.V.. imma read it soon though

kjhgdhhp.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i didnt read extras...kkind of because it isn't in tally's P.O.V.. imma read it soon though

Yeah you should, great book :) tho it does put an interesting spin on Tally since you're not in her head :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah you should, great book :) tho it does put an interesting spin on Tally since you're not in her head :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ha alright :) and that sounds interesting. lol