Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Proposal for REQUIRED Mutal Respect Towards Forum Members  (Read 3452 times)

Reenie-La

Proposal for REQUIRED Mutal Respect Towards Forum Members
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:34:05 AM »

I have been here 2.5 years now and over the time I've been here; there have been people who seem to think it's OKAY to disrespect other forum members based on differing opinions.

This is anything but okay. If someone doesn't agree with you there is no need to swear at them and call them "a shitty, horrible person". There is absolutely no need for attacking other members because they personally view things a little differently than you.

It's absolutely ridiculous that I am even proposing required mutual respect to be shown towards everyone on the forum. If you have an opinion you want to share, that is perfectly fine! But don't get offended if someone voices a different opinion than yours.

What do you guys think? Should we be civil to one another or should we just attack whoever disagrees with us?

This forum is a place long-time currently active members come to get away from the drama and stress of the real world. There is no reason anyone should be maliciously insulting other members. Quite a few of us have struggled with trauma and mental illness in our lives so next time you feel threatened by someone else's opinion; take a step back and chill. You have no right to judge someone based on how or what they think.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Proposal for REQUIRED Mutal Respect Towards Forum Members
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »

I absolutely agree. Mutual respect for all! Shouldn't this be a poll...? I guess it's more to bring it to people's attention than ask if it should be, though...
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Reenie-La

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »

I could add a poll.*nodnod*
Maybe give it a few days to see what people think?

Time Blitz

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »

In my opinion, it would be okay if the person who was suggesting it wasn't a hypocrit.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »

Let's try not to be disrespectful on the 'let's respect our fellow forumers' thread.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Time Blitz

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »

Well, its a little hard to complain about people being disrespectful to you when you just served up a big heaping plate of scream fits and swearing at another member.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »

I swear I will go on a reporting spree all over again if this crap starts up again.

Honestly, it would be nice if opinions were respected. If I see something I disagree with, I sometimes vent on another thread or I step away from the internet for a while. Not all the time, but I try to. Difference of opinions, especially with the anonymity of the internet, leads to nothing but trouble. And, if you have a problem with someone, maybe you could just stay away from them? Attacking everything they post doesn‘t solve any problems.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »

Sometimes, though, it is cool to debate things, as long as people stay respectful. Like David or Zane, and Darwinist or Clanker. Or something else...

- Catvomitsky

Time Blitz

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »

Aye, I'm tired of having a good conversation then having people put comments that could have been said nicer. I'm gonna lay some ground rules.

Reenie-La

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »

There is a huge difference being using swear words to put emphasis in a sentance than using swearing purposefully insult someone. Calling people mean or rude things is not appreciated by the person you are maliciously trying to hurt.

Rai, I am sorry that I seem to always be mixed up the forum blowups with people...The Doctor, the imposter, KD and now this...I guess it would be better for everyone if I only played the games and didn't discuss anything major...

Time Blitz

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »

Maybe everyone should agree not to use swearing in debates, since it is too easy to be misunderstood.

Reenie-La

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »

Maybe everyone should agree not to use swearing in debates, since it is too easy to be misunderstood.
People responsible for their intent of the words the use, they are not responsible for how other interpert and understand them.

Time Blitz

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »

But it still causes confusion. Should we not iradicate unnecessary use of swearing before it becomes a problem?

Reenie-La

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »

If it's not necisissary then we don't have a need to over use it :3 but it fine when the timing is right.

Time Blitz

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »

Cookie? *holds out friendship cookie* I'm sorry I was such a jackass...
Pages: [1] 2