Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Uglies Discussion Questions!  (Read 3269 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Uglies Discussion Questions!
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »

I don't know how many people have seen these. They're on the main site, under Bonus Stuff. They're basically to spark conversation about the answers. So, here are the questions, and my answers to them! The thread is to state and explain and debate your answers.

1. Have you ever had a friend like Peris, who abandoned your friendship after they moved away?

2. At first, did you hope Tally would get the operation? When did you change your mind? (Or did you?)

3. Have you ever found yourself trusting someone more or paying more attention to what they said not because they deserved it, but just because of their looks?

4. In what ways did Tally’s trip through the wild prepare her for what she learned in the Smoke?

5. Would you give up your ability to think independently in exchange for being happy, beautiful, perpetually healthy, and rich?

6. How did David see Tally differently than she saw herself?

7. If Shay could have gone back in time and never have met Tally, do you think she would?

8. Other than the pretty operation, what are the main differences between the pretty society and our own? (Are there any ways in which the pretty society is healthier than ours?)

9. To what extent did Tally decide her own fate, and how much did other people decide it for her?

10. The Rusty civilization collapsed because of its dependence on oil. In what ways is your lifestyle dependent on oil and gasoline? How easily would you survive if it all disappeared one day?

1. Yes. I used to go to an afterschool, and one of my friends there completely lost contact with me when I left.

2. I wanted Tally to get teh pretty operation right up until I found out about the lesions. Then I absolutely didn't want her to get it. I wanted her to keep her own head.

3. Probably, but I try my best not to.

4. She learned about how big the world was, and how dangerous. The wild won't give you clothes out of a hole in the wall, it won't give you food whenever you want it, it won't catch you if you fall.

5. No. No, no, no, no, no. Absolutely not. No. It is not and never will be worth it. My brain, I will admit, is probably my best feature. I like to be able to have my own thoughts; my own brain; and ever since I read Uglies, I have occasionally been consciously thankful for it. I would never give up my ability to think for beauty.

6. Tally focused on all the bad things about her appearance, and figured that that was all that mattered. David knew that what she looked like couldn't matter less, and that it was who she was that mattered.

7. Yes, I think that she would. She would've ran off to the Smoke without indirectly leading the Specials to it, the Smoke would still be there, and it would've been better for both of them (from her point of view before she knew about the lesions, of course)

8. Kids are divided by their age, for one thing. The littlies stay with their parents until they turn twelve, then they're uglies. The uglies sometimes see their parents until they turn sixteen, and pretties basically never see their parents, or their younger siblings or friends. There is no war, which is definitely healthier than our society.

9. Tally really didn't get to chose much of her own fate. She gave herself up to be pretty, and that was basically the only time she had much of a choice.

10. Heavily dependent. I take the bus, get driven, etc. I'd be hit pretty hard if all the oil exploded...
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

KAP

Re: Uglies Discussion Questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »

If the oil bug hit, I would be okaym thank god books are paper :)

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »

Yeah...until the resulting massive firestorms came along and burned you, your friends, your family and everything else you knew ALIVE...and then the wars over supplies and land would start...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Time Blitz

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »

And that's why we should further develop nuclear energy. No bug is eating that!  :D