Poll

Which group will win a battle?

Tanks
- 8 (50%)
Stormwalkers
- 8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Tanks vs Stormwalkers  (Read 14754 times)

Xeno-SP

• Good. I'm always good.
Tanks vs Stormwalkers
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »

Okay, I know this topic is very old, but i want to see which is better, ja?

It's obviously you guys will vote for the walkers, but let's be realistic. There will be no four-legged or six legged walkers, or any walkers that resemble animals. Just a two-legged walker, like Alek's stormwalker.

Maybe someday we will have two-legged walkers that will replace tanks, but are they really better than tanks?

Let's go back to the days of world war 2, where some country made stormwalkers to combat german panzers. Even though the stormwalkers has an advantage over the tanks like flanking them, the tanks themselves most likely aimed their cannons on the legs. If a walker's leg got busted up, it falls down and the tank finish the job.

I am no tank/walker expert but I have a thought that the stormwalker is just as clumsy as a tank, and I can imagine it getting stuck in a mud.

If you play command and conquer games, the early ones have walkers, but they were later replaced by tanks in later games, because these walking machines can have their legs blown off.

So, which can win the battle?

BagpipeHeadache

• Me and the master!
Re: Tanks vs Stormwalkers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:51 AM »

This is quite difficult. ._.

I think it also depends on loads of situational factors, for example, how many of each type of each combatant on what terrain in what weather...  XD

But it's quite a good question...and it may just end up with the tank blowing the walker's leg off, then the walker falling on the tank, firing its canon, and blowing them both up... 

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »

I voted for Stormwalkers, because if there was rough terrain that it was difficult to roll over, the walker could still do it. And I figure the legs are tough enough that they'd be hard to break, because the engineers of walkers probably thought of that.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Xeno-SP

• Good. I'm always good.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »

I voted for Stormwalkers, because if there was rough terrain that it was difficult to roll over, the walker could still do it. And I figure the legs are tough enough that they'd be hard to break, because the engineers of walkers probably thought of that.
But if they put armor on the legs, wouldn't it be much slower, like a tiger tank?

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »

Probably, but it is made of metal in the first place. It's got to be pretty resilient.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Areias

• "For you, a thousand times over."
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »

It all depends on the level of agility. I think it's more likely tanks would win in wet terrain, because a well-designed tank can distribute its weight more evenly and is less likely to get stuck in mud, like the toboggan vs. shoes in snow. On dry ground, it's likely that walkers will be faster than tanks, and can dodge things more easily. They're generally more versatile too, seeing as they can pose (e.g. kneeling), though they are more dependent on the pilot's skill than tanks are.

Time Blitz

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »

*clears throat*

It took me too long to find this....

Second Person has a point. The more armor you stick on a walker's legs, the heavier they get. This would also make the legs more of a target, because they'd be easier to hit due to the bulkiness.

Walkers are clumsy. They can trip, fall, tip over, and the like. Ive never seen a Tiger trip and fall.

Walkers are complicated. More so then tanks. Anyone who knows history knows that the Germans had that problem in WWII. More complicated means easie to break down, more expensive to build, more time consuming to build, and hard to repair, especially in the field of combat, which is critical to survival. In essence, no one wants a complicated machine wih too many gizmos. It looks all pwetty on the parade ground, but has no practical battlefield use.

Walkers also have what's called a tall silhouette. Thats bad. Even if they're kneeling, they're still pretty tall. Many tanks, through ingenuis design, have a vey small silhouette. Which means they're harder to target.

Tanks are more versatile. You can have tanks in the sea (Duplex Drive Shermans), flamethrower tanks (The Crocodile), bridge laying tanks (the Wolverine), and tanks can have their own minesweeping system.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:18:09 AM by Panzer Blitz »

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »

Also; there's a limit to how big a gun you could put on a walker because of the recoil. Tanks have no such problem.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

All true... Huh, okay. I see your point.

- Catvomitsky

Areias

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

I do too now. I'm not that interested in war machines and weapons so most of what I said was just guessing. Thanks for the knowledge and explanation :)

Straif

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

Though now that I read further, I have to argue ONE point that Blitz made...she mentioned that tanks are more versatile and listed a bunch of others (most, interestingly, based on the M3 Sherman)
My question is; surely the Clankers would have specialized walkers, like, say, the Water-Walkers in Goliath?
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

BagpipeHeadache

• Me and the master!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »

That'd make sense unless they weren't particularly bright...

But we must also keep in mind that the Clankers designed their walkers to combat Darwinists fabrications.  ;)

Straif

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »

Not purely. Every army must prepare for ANY fight after all...I would assume there are "walker killer" models, similar to the tank killers of WWII...
Resident Halo Fanatic

Areias

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »

The Austro-Prussian war was not far behind at this point, so the German and Austrian armies probably still have anti-Clanker machines, like the Anti-Wanderpanzer Truppen.

Straif

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »

Bingo. And that weird anti-walker gun that Alek smashed.
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8