Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Show Me The Wrongs In The Operations: Pretty, Special, Surges  (Read 4542 times)

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook

What wrongs can there be in these operations? Being pretty or special or surging? There really isn't anything wrong with them. What's wrong with wanting a symetrical face and perfect body? Wouldn't that stop bullying? Racism? Prejudice? And being pretty-minded, why not try to stop wars, fights, pollution, clear cutting, destruction? What is wrong with a world where you don't have to worry about things and can just have fun? Why not have a blissful long life? Show me the wrongs in these things! :)
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: Show Me The Wrongs In The Operations: Pretty, Special, Surges
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:59 AM »

Well, the wrongs in the special operation is that you're made to hate everyone else and think you're... special, which isn't healthy.
Actually, there are plenty of good things. I'd almost be willing to give up free thought to save the world - humans aren't the only species living on earth. And I'm not exactly happy knowing what life is like. As Tally says, "I think I like being fooled sometimes." (when she realizes hoverboards are actually heavy in the beginning of Uglies)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:48:50 AM by tridecagirl »
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Emma-la

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:16:06 AM »

Well, they're taking away freedom of speech. And in your mind. I see there are good things about the operations, but do you really think you would give up debates? Haven't you ever had "spirited debates" with friends because of your differences in how you think? It's fun! Plus, the teachers in my school also think that having uniforms takes away bullying and how we look. But they're wrong. There are different more stylish styles of pants you can buy, theres always the different hair, size, shape, and accessories that make you different and doesn't really help in bullying. At least without uniforms you can have some self-expression, even if you get bullied. That's kind of like the operation. Except the operation is worse beacause they don't only change how you look to make you feel better and take away all that stuff like bullying and racism, but they take away how you are thinking. No freedom of speech is one thing, but no freedom of mind is just horrible.

That's what's wrong with the operation.
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
*~*RESIDENT FORUM ROLEPLAYING ADDICT*~*

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:04:30 AM »

But it can also set you free.
I'm not exactly happy, knowing all the things wrong with the world. Haven't you ever wanted to get away?
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound

kjhgdhhp.

• So it's been a while huh?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »

But it can also set you free.
I'm not exactly happy, knowing all the things wrong with the world. Haven't you ever wanted to get away?

I think what tridecagirl (do you have a shorter nic? :)) is trying to say is that ignorance is bliss... if you're perfectly happy then it doesn't matter what you're missing, because you're perfectly happy!! :)

And I tend to agree, I love debating, having my own opinions, and all the jazz that comes with individualism, but if I was ignorant to all that, so long as I was happy what would I care? :)

when you become a member of the herd, you lose your soul

And I do agree with this, but we're all already members of heards (whether we like it or not)... there are very few true innovators in this world (I hope you enjoy the so yesterday reference =P and read it if you havn't already!! It's awesome!! =D)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

To get away from all the horrible, sad stuff that happens. To just not know is so much easier.
And IDK. Someone could make up a nickname for me. I'm not allowed to make my own.  :)

kjhgdhhp.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »

To get away from all the horrible, sad stuff that happens. To just not know is so much easier.
And IDK. Someone could make up a nickname for me. I'm not allowed to make my own.  :)

Tri is too short, girl is too generic, trideca is too long... so I'm calling you deca from now on ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emma-la

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

Perfect. Hey, Deca, you have a point. I just would much rather face some hardships than not have my own opinion. If we had had the operation, you realize we wouldn't be having this conversation, right? Because we would have no mind for debating. I myself adore debating things, because you can justify ANYTHING.

kjhgdhhp.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

Perfect. Hey, Deca, you have a point. I just would much rather face some hardships than not have my own opinion. If we had had the operation, you realize we wouldn't be having this conversation, right? Because we would have no mind for debating. I myself adore debating things, because you can justify ANYTHING.

Just because I'm in an antagonistic, debating kinda mood... can you justify eating your own face?!?! =P

But seriously, (if that can ever happen on this forum =P) are you saying that there are some things you wouldn't give up even for eternal happyness?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emma-la

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »

Just because I'm in an antagonistic, debating kinda mood... can you justify eating your own face?!?! =P

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's how you justify it: you are starving and hate your life. You will die anyways, so eating your own face will make you die faster.
There's your justification.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »

Not really... but I see the world a lot more clearly than everyone else. It's like Shay says, "We see the beauty of the world so much it almost hurts, and we want to protect it..."
Unlike my classmates, I can't forget that people are dying in bogus wars and genocides, or starving, or dying of diseases that are preventable. And it depresses me.
Deca! I love that nickname! Yay!  ;D

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »

I just sometimes think I'd be happier not knowing, or not caring. And happiest if it wasn't happening at all. And the truth is, the bubbleheads weren't ripping up the environment like we do. And I'm a mega tree hugger.

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »

*looks at deca's profile pic*
Really? ::)

kjhgdhhp.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »

I just sometimes think I'd be happier not knowing, or not caring. And happiest if it wasn't happening at all. And the truth is, the bubbleheads weren't ripping up the environment like we do. And I'm a mega tree hugger.

So did you buy or rent that green costume?? ^_^ =P

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's how you justify it: you are starving and hate your life. You will die anyways, so eating your own face will make you die faster.
There's your justification.

Lmao nice one emma-la!! =D ;) I love this forum =P

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emma-la

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:12:51 AM »

Thanks. I love proving my point.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3