Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shay's Story #3 Manga  (Read 5665 times)

graciousserendipity

Shay's Story #3 Manga
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »

We know that Shay's Story is supposed to be a graphic novel/manga trilogy of the main trilogy (not including Extras) in her point of view. But only Shay's Story (the actual manga) and the sequel Cutters have come out!
Shay's Story was published March 6, 2012 and Cutters was published December 4, 2012; the two manga came out within a little less than 9 months of each other.
But it's almost 2014--almost 2 years later--and no one knows what the last manga, for Specials, will even been named yet!

I know Westerfeld is busy trying to get the Uglies movie up and running with auditions for a cast, agreeing with and sometimes trying to change the script being written, making the actors and actresses (once chosen!!!) actually do their job well, and deciding when the movie should be in theaters to make a good amount of money. Many fans think, and there are lots of rumors, that the Uglies movie will be after the last Hunger Games movie so people don't debate between seeing that or his movie if they are released around the same time, and so he and the producers can now have people wanting to see his series' first movie and want more movies, without worrying about people mainly caring about that series' movies and not really bothering with the Uglies movie. The Mockingjay Part 2 is coming out November 20, 2015, so people are most likely going to have to wait until 2016. :(

So he's working really hard with the movie, which I appreciate, but I just wish we could at least have the last Shay's Story manga while we are waiting. When (mainly the year) do you think the graphic novel is going to come out?

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
Re: Shay's Story #3 Manga
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »

Probably. Also, let us not forget that he's working on his next novel.
And I heard 2018 for the first Uglies film if it actually gets made...there's the Mortal Instruments to worry about as well.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:15:07 AM »

There's probably always going to be a YA movie series in the making. Uglies shouldn't have to wait just because The Mortal Instruments movies are coming out. With Mockingjay I can understand, because both Uglies and THG are post-apocalyptic/dystopian series, and if the Uglies movie starts production in a year, then it would probably come out around that time anyway. Besides, TMI and Uglies are made for two separate age groups, and are different genres. And the first one flopped anyway, so most of the people seeing the movie will be fans. And since there's six Mortal Instruments books, they'll take awhile to make, they won't finish by 2018. And what about Divergent, The Maze Runner, Percy Jackson, Beautiful Creatures, and all of those other series that are still being made or just starting out? In my opinion, the only movie Uglies should wait for is Mockingjay.

Anyway, I hope the manga will come out soon! Maybe since Scott's finished with Afterworlds, he'll start working on it?

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:14:24 AM »

He's not finished with Afterworlds; he's finished with a first draft of Afterworlds. If he were finished  it would be quite cruel to make us wait a year.

I don't have any idea when the third one will come out, but I hope it's soon.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Straif

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »

Seconded to all...
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

graciousserendipity

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »

I forgot that Westerfeld was making another actual book, and he's probably more focused on that and the movie. So yeah, it will take more time for the manga to be published; teenage/adult novels normally take a looooong time to write, and the movie is also taking lots of time.

You guys have mainly said when you think the movie will come out, like by 2018 at the latest, and I hope it's earlier than that! But I just can't wait for the 3rd comic! When do you think the comic will come out--later than the movie? I really appreciate any info or opinion about the movie's release year/date and keep it coming. But please also talk about the release year of the comic!

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

I hope we get the next comic earlier than 2018 :o That'd be a very long wait, don't you think?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Straif

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »

YEAH, I'd say so.
Resident Halo Fanatic

graciousserendipity

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 05:12:03 AM »

Anyway, I hope the manga will come out soon! Maybe since Scott's finished with Afterworlds, he'll start working on it?

Scott's almost finished with Afterworlds, coming out this September 23, so will he finally make the plot of Shay's Story #3 so artists can draw the comic book? Come on! We want to finish reading the trilogy!

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »

Scott's almost finished with Afterworlds, coming out this September 23, so will he finally make the plot of Shay's Story #3 so artists can draw the comic book? Come on! We want to finish reading the trilogy!
Seconded. I hope it hasn't been abandoned! For all it's shortcomings, SS was still pretty icy. I would think they would a least finish it for completion's same (and the money...that too.)

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:43 PM »

Yes. I want the rest. I want to see Special Shay and Tally!

- Catvomitsky

Reenie-La

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 06:41:24 AM »

I was just talking with my friend the other day about how the third manga needs to come out...

graciousserendipity

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 03:18:49 AM »

Has there been anymore news on the comic?
When is it gonna come out?
When will it even be named?!

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »

There's been no more news.

- Catvomitsky

hibidy wibidy

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

Alright so I know I'm a few years late here but I was a huge fan of the Uglies series and was very hype on the manga and suffered just as much as you guys so one day i decided to email ol' Scotty boy and he actually replied! I couldn't upload a screenshot on here but here is the exchange.

Scott Westerfeld <scott@scottwesterfeld.com>
To hibidy heeey
02/01/15 at 10:36 AM
Hibidy-

Alas, those comic books didn't sell in sufficient quantity to keep my helicopter full of champagne, so I had to drop them! Sad, I know. Just when it was getting hot and heavy . . .

Lucky for you, I hereby declare all Tally/Shay slash to be canon, now and forever more! Read'em and weep.

-scott

> On 2 Feb 2015, at 1:23 am, hibidy heeey <lalapalalaba@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Bruh! Whats up with the final part of shays story you cant just leave us hanging for 2 years with no info. I need that shit running through my veins! My money is desperately ready to jump in your filthy rich pockets. All i need is some info, just a little taste of the good stuff to keep me going. Or you could at least let us know if you've completely dropped the idea so i can start trying to accept some filthy full blown tally on shay lesbian fanfic as truth.
>
> Pls respond....
Pages: [1] 2