Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Who liked Extras?  (Read 11721 times)

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
Re: Who liked Extras?
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »

Well, who would want to read about a society like that? XD

Part of the reason I loved that Scott added Extras was that it showed that even after the mind-rain, the society was still corrupt. In a different way, perhaps, as its flaws were more covert, but it was still messed up. Like Snow and Coin in THG, Coin turned out to be jut as bad as Snow. Societies always find a way to corrupt themselves, start wars, etc. It's just human nature, and I thought Extras conveyed that beautifully. Plus, we got to see more of the best universe in the fiction world! But I didn't like how Tally and the Cutters turned out, they didn't seem in character enough. Tally was mostly cured at the end of Specials, but in Extras she seemed kind of...unstable. I guess it just goes to show you that people, like societies, regress back into evil. But still, it's Tally! We never got a satisfactory ending for her! All throughout Extras, it seemed like Scott was going to give her some sort of closure, but then he didn't. She kissed David, but she did that at the beginning of Uglies. So she didn't really progress at all! Not that I ship Tally and David, but they should've at least made up. Or maybe Tally could've cured herself. Or gotten back her old face.
Or something! *spazzes*

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »

But LotR is the best fictional universe. Anyway, I agree with all of that.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

Or sacrificed her self, and Aya could have learned that fame isn't everything, sometimes you do what you do not to get ahead or to get famous. But because there's no other choice. 

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »

Too deep for the series I think.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »

I dont think its too deep, just not fitting. Tally dying after all that would just suck.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »

True.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »

People get too attached to characters, I honestly think that Tally had become very broken and unhappy. Death wouldn't have been a punishment for her.

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

True, very true, but I think it would've been more satisfying for the readers if she had lived. Not that I have a problem with protagonists or characters in general dying, it's just that in Uglies I don't think it would've been right. Aya's government is not corrupt enough to die for, and the lesson about game that you mentioned would be more meaningful if Aya learned it herself, which she did, kind of. And if Tally was to die, it should be for something worthwhile. Books are written for their readers, and since Tally is not real, I dot want her to die even if it would be best for her. And I still think she had a chance at happiness.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]