Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Midnighters Book #4 - Story line ideas...  (Read 1634 times)

atticus2132000

Midnighters Book #4 - Story line ideas...
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »

I've never posted in a forum before so please forgive me if I commit some grievous protocol error in my entry...I realize there is already a thread about a fourth book, but no one has posted to it in a lot of days, so I'm starting a new thread.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a fourth Midnighters book.

I have just finished reading Extras again for the umpteenth time and am, again, reminded how great it would be to have a “where are they now” follow up to the Midnighters series.  When we left the gang, they had finally come up with a decent game plan for mounting a defense against the creatures and were on the move.  What has happened to them in the years since?  Have their battles been successful?  Who is alive and who is dead?  Have they encountered other midnighters?

In reading some postings on the aforementioned thread there seemed to be mixed messages about a fourth book.  Most seemed to want one; however, many posted that the potential for a story line may not be engaging.

I’m sure for an author, the logical ending to a book/series comes when all his questions have been sufficiently answered.  When SW finally penned the last few pages of the third book, he closed that proverbial chapter of his life and moved on to other projects (all of which I have thoroughly enjoyed, by the way), but I still have one huge question that was never answered in the books.

Why is the number 12 so important to these creatures?

There was a lot of focus on the number 13—its traditionally being viewed as an unlucky number but, in light of this blight on the world, it is actually a very powerful anathema for the creatures.  However, that logically stems from twelve being this all powerful number and thirteen being the new technological advancement that the creatures abhorred—which just leads back to why was twelve so important?

There was so much number theory and mysticism that was hinted at in the books but was never really explored.  I believe there is plenty of material to flesh out another book.

Twelve has a lot of notable properties—both mathematically and mystically/religiously.  A group of twelve things, a dozen, is one of the only and oldest groupings to have a special name.  Perhaps ancient people, in trying to battle these creatures, recognized the significance of twelve and built number systems and religions with twelve holding a place of importance as a means of reminding people of the dangers from these creatures—twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve hours in the original day (which evolved into 12 day hours and 12 night hours), twelve earthly branches, twelve days of Christmas, etc.  In a base-12 counting system, which was common in ancient civilizations, counting to thirteen would represent a huge leap in mathematical advancement—one whole group of twelve with one extra where we can start back over counting again.  It would be similar with 145—one whole group of one whole group of twelve with one extra.  We still hold twelve to be significant today—twelve inches in a foot, twelve pence in a schilling, twelve months in a year, twelve years of school.  Are these instinctual hold overs that we, as a species, have maintained as a warning against these creatures?  Always be aware of twelves because therein lies danger.

Most years have twelve full moons and primitive lunar calendars had twelve months.  Is there a connection between the moon’s cycle and the creatures?  Is that where they draw their strength?  What happens in years with a thirteenth full moon?

Dess discovered something in the series—the importance of latitude and longitude lines that were multiples of twelve; however, her take from that discovery was the creatures liked twelve so it made sense for them to congregate at those locations.  However, the creatures wouldn’t have understood latitude and longitude.  It would make more sense for ancient people to notice that the creatures were congregating at certain regular locations and, in turn, use that as a basis for counting off distances with modern-day longitude and latitude being the natural evolution of that?  The Babylonians were the first to divide a circle into 360 degrees—4 quadrants with 5 groups of 12.  Perhaps the Babylonians mathematical advances were a response to the threat from these ancient creatures.  Perhaps something akin to a Watchers Council still exists today that was originally based on Babylonian teachings.

This book could have the gang making their way to some huge nexus (the site of ancient Babylonia might be nice, but is a tad war-torn these days) where they encounter myriad midnighters with exotic new powers and learn the history of where the creatures came from, how midnighters came to exist, and how their continued, albeit secret, presence continues to shape modern society.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Midnighters Book #4 - Story line ideas...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »

...well that was long :o

But you made some good points. I never really thought about why darklings would like twelve, especially since they hate numbers in general. I think from a literary standpoint, it was just supposed to be ironic, but from a world building standpoint, who knows? :o

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum :D
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

atticus2132000

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »

Well since no one else is posting to this thread, I'll assume it's a dead topic   : (

Still I've been wondering where a fourth book might go.  These were some of the ideas that I had.

Fun revisionist history...

Perhaps Alexander the Great was a Midnighter.  His conquering of the known world in the 4th century B.C. was actually the first full scale offensive against the creatures--nearly driving them out of the then known world.  Those cities that were renamed Alexandria during his conquest were actually havens/headquarters for Midnighters to continue the work of eradicating the monsters.

Perhaps even the Royal Library at Alexandria, Egypt, built under the reign of the Ptolemy family (also Midnighters), was actually built with the purpose of amassing all the known information about the creatures under one roof--eventually becoming the headquarters for the Watchers Council.  It was destroyed sometime around the 4th century--perhaps by people similar to Cassandra's grandfather, darkling sympathizers.

Fun geography observation...

The latitude/longitude of N 39°52'39", E 26°13'52" (all divisible by 13) is less than 5 miles away from what is considered the site of the Ancient City of Troy (the one with the Trojan Horse and Helen of Troy, the face that launched a thousand ships).  What if Helen was a flamebringer (or someone with an equally powerful ability) who was kidnapped/rescued by other midnighters and taken to Troy, a Midnighter stronghold due to its location, with intentions of using her to mount an offensive; however, it failed when Grecian troops (darkling sympathizers) were able to overtake the city and destroy it.

Fun mythology tie in...

Prometheus is a Greek god who is credited with bringing fire to human kind.  As a punishment from the gods he is tied to a rock for the rest of eternity where a bird eats his intestines everyday.  Perhaps Prometheus was an actual person, a midnighter.  He might have been the first ever flamebringer who helped turn the tide of the ancient war between humans and darklings.  He was captured by the darklings (maybe one of the winged darklings that looks like a bird) who feasted on him.  Since they only exist for one hour each day, his pain and anguish would have seemed to go on for years and years from the perspective of the people telling his story.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »

I haven't even read midnighters and I noticed how a lot of things seem to be based off Twelve...

Also, Twelve Districts...but there were really 13 to begin with....*insert crossover theory here*

Shadowofrander

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:44:52 PM »

I can not explain to my understanding.