Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Does anyone have...  (Read 2151 times)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Does anyone have...
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »

...the transcript of Tally's conversation with Doctor Cable at the end of Specials? I can't find it anywhere, and I need to know it. Even just some tidbits would be nice.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Does anyone have...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »

I have it! Just give me a moment...
Do you want it as just the dialogue, or the narration as well?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »

Well, you went offline. I suppose I shall just give it to you with the narration, then:

She looked a thousand years old. Her eyes had lost the blackness in their depths, their evil sparkle. Like Fausto, she had become champagne without bubbles. Cured at last.

But she still managed to sneer.

Gasping for air, Tally said, "What are you...?"

"Rescuing you," Dr. Cable said.

Tally looked at the door, listening for alarms, for footsteps.

The old woman shook her head. "I built this place, Tally. I know it's tricks. No one's coming. Let me rest a moment." She sat heavily on the soaking floor. "I'm too old for this."

Tally stared at her old enemy, hands still curled into deadly claws. But Dr. Cable was panting, a cut on her lip beginning to bleed. She looked like a very old crumbly, one whose life extention treatments were running out.

Except for the three unconscious doctors who lay at her feet.

"You still have special reflexes?"

"I'm not special at all, Tally. I'm pathetic." The old woman shrugged. "But I'm still dangerous."

"Oh." Tally wiped more operating solution from her eyes. "Took you long enough, though."

"Yes, that was clever Tally, taking out your breathing tube first."

"Sure, great plan, leaving me in there until they almost..." Tally blinked. "Um, why are you doing this again?"

Dr. Cable smiled. "I'll tell you, Tally, if you answer me a question first." Her eyes grew sharp for a moment. "What did you do to me?"

It was Tally's turn to smile. "I cured you."

"I know that, you little fool. But how?"

"Remember when you snatched my transmitter? It wasn't a transmitter at all - it was an injector. Maddy's made a cure for Specials."

"That miserable woman again." Dr. Cable's gaze sank back to the soaking floor. "The Council's reopened the city's borders. Her pills are everywhere."

Tally nodded. "I can tell."

"Everything's going to pieces," Dr. Cable hissed, glaring up at Tally. "It won't be long before they start chewing up the wild, you know."

"Yeah, I know. Just like in Diego." Tally sighed, remembering Andrew Simpson Smith's forest fire. "Freedom has a way of destroying things, I guess."

"And you call this a cure, Tally? It's letting loose a cancer on the world."

Tally shook her head slowly. "So that's why you're here, Dr. Cable? To blame me for everything?"

"No. I'm here to let you go."

Tally looked up - this had to be a trick, some way for Dr. Cable to get her final revenge. But the thought of being out in the open sky again sent a painful ping of hope through her.

She swallowed. "But didn't I, you know, destroy your world?"

Dr. Cable stared at her for a long time with her unfocused, watery eyes. "Yes. But you're the last one, Tally. I've watched Shay and the others on the Diego propaganda feeds - they aren't right anymore. Maddy's cure, I suppose." She sighed slowly. "They're no more right than I am. The Council has despecialized almost all of us."

Tally nodded. "But why me?"

"You're the only real Cutter left," Dr. Cable said. "The last of my Specials designed to live in the wild, to exist outside the cities. You can escape this, can disappear forever. I don't want my work to become extinct, Tally. Please..."

Tally blinked. She'd never thought of herself as some sort of endangered animal. But she wasn't about to argue. The thought of freedom made her head spin.

"Just get out, Tally. Take any elevator to the roof. The building's almost ready, and I've shut down most of the cameras. And frankly, no one can stop you. Leave, and for my sake, keep yourself special. The world may need you, one day."

Tally swallowed. Just walking out seemed to simple. "What about a hoverboard?"

"It's waiting for you on the roof, of course." Dr. Cable snorted. "What is it about you miscreants and those things?"

Tally looked down at the three unconscious forms on the floor.

"They'll be fine," Dr. Cable snorted. "I am a doctor, you know."

"Sure you are," Tally muttered, leaning down to gently peel the scrubs from one of the orderlies. When she pulled them on, the operating solution soaked through in dark blotches, but at least she wasn't naked anymore.

She took a step toward the door, but turned back to face Dr. Cable.

"Aren't you worried I'll get myself cured? Then there won't be any of us left."

The woman looked up, and her defeated expression changed, a glint of the old evil returning to her eyes. "My faith in you has always been rewarded, Tally Youngblood. Why should I start worrying now?"

This was the scene you wanted, right?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:59:57 AM »

Yes! That was the scene I wanted, thanks for including the narration, that's the best part!

I love this scene, thanks again! ^-^

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need it?

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »

Umm...this is gonna sound weird, but I was making a mental music video of it, but I forgot the dialogue, and I can't make a proper mental music video without dialogue! Besides, I just really like the scene.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »

...okay then. Interesting. How's the mental music video going?

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the song with my refreshed memory of the scene yet! I'll update this post when I do (unless you reply, then in that case I'll post a new reply, because if I edited this one that would be confusion-making)

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »

Okay then! *waits*

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:05 AM »

I listened to the song, and my mental music video is going good. :) I used a lot of scenes from Fanna's fic as filler.

I really want the Specials movie to come out now so I can make it for real!

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:39:53 AM »

So, are you putting pictures from the scene over the music in your mental music video, or what?

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »

It's kind of a mix of my mental pictures (and the dialogue) from that scene juxtaposed with random scenes from Fanna's fanfiction and more random ones from throughout the books over the music.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »

Huh...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Haley-La

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »

That sounds wicked bubbly, doing that. I don't have enough creativity lol. But i do have all three books in front of me now. But i have to return them to library tomorrow. :'(

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »

Hey, welcome to the forum! Having new members is so bubbly  ;D

I also have to return Pretties to the library soon. Why didn't I purchase these books ;-;