Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Uglies TV Show?!  (Read 6681 times)

Eraisuithiel

Re: Uglies TV Show?!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »

Haha yeah, because nobody EVER watches movies based on teen novels. Like, I don't know a whole group of twenty-somethings who are just dying to see Divergent or whatever. People are totally getting tired of them. Totally.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »

I see that sarcasm...
I mean OUTSIDE the group that's going to watch them for that very reason. I know a lot of people who have refused to see Divergent even without knowing what its about simply becuse its based on a teen novel.
I want Uglies to get to a wider audiance and, hopefully, have the same sort of exposure that the Hunger Games recieved when the first movie came out.
I want to be able to go onto Tumblr and roleplay as an OC from Uglies without having to explain what the series is and having to hope agianst hope there's someone ELSE out there to do it with me.
Wanna know how many Uglies RP blogs there are on it?
2. One tally, one Shay.
Thats it.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Reenie-La

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 01:58:53 AM »

I AM SO EXCITED I REALLY HOPE IT HAPPENS!!! :DD

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 05:06:29 AM »

Most people I know have seen the Hunger Games and they're not young adults, and the type of people who don't like YA lit won't see Uglies regardless of whether its a movie or tv show.

I think Uglies isn't episodic enough to work better as a series than a movie, I feel there isn't enough story to make 10-something episodes per season. The show writers could extrapolate, but Uglies is one of those books where what you see is what you get and everything else is oretty boring. Maybe a miniseries, or 3 miniseries. Or one season for all 3 books.

kristina-la

• through your strength all my fears will fade away
    • tumblr
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »

I was so skeptical about a movie because I didn't want to see my beloved series turn into the hunger games fandom. I enjoy our little fanbase and would like to keep it like this so we avoid all the boneheads that only care about the movie.

seriously, Hunger games has become a Jenifer Lawrence fandom and that makes me angry.

just think guys, with a tv series...that means more for us to watch! :P and while I'm a little concerned about budget....if Doctor who can pull it off...so can we :P

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »

YES I love the Uglies fandom. THG can be quite annoying.

I love DW and if Uglies can live up to a TV show of that caliber then I will officially die happy :)

graciousserendipity

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

I think Uglies isn't episodic enough to work better as a series than a movie, I feel there isn't enough story to make 10-something episodes per season. The show writers could extrapolate, but Uglies is one of those books where what you see is what you get and everything else is pretty boring. Maybe a miniseries, or 3 miniseries. Or one season for all 3 books.

I absolutely love the books, but I don't exactly think Uglies could be a tv show.  Like you said, it wouldn't be the best with episodes; I think it would be better as a movie (and if there is a show, then there should later be a spin-off of Extras).  Sure, it would be great to get anything at all, and a show would give us more time watching it than just like a "2 1/2 hour" movie (no clue of how long it really would be), but certain episodes could be kinda boring, like multiple ones about Tally traveling through forests, completely lost, trying to find the Smoke.  I feel a movie would be better, since this book and its sequels are more for the big screen, with more excitement, drama, mystery, etc, rather than a show.  When the Pretty Little Liars became a tv show, I didn't think it was the best, since it was "loosely based" and the books were much better just to read.
Other people in this topic have said that Uglies will become both a movie and a show, but is that true?  That could be nice, but then things would be different in each, since movies do change the plot a little to fit into their time period and budget, while the tv show would probably show it almost exactly correct to the books (as opposed to Pretty Little Liars), and then fans would be debating over which is true in the visual Uglies.  Look at what happened to Disney's The Little Mermaid--a tv show was made, showing Ariel and her family much younger, but things changed from the movies to the show, causing people to wonder which are the correct facts about characters.

Leaning more towards a movie of each of the books!

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

Well, the books are the correct facts about the characters.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

graciousserendipity

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »

Well, the books are the correct facts about the characters.
Yeah, but when comic books (kind of a "visual" series) were made for the Maximum Ride and Artemis Fowl series, the comic books didn't always have the correct facts from the real novels about the characters, like having Fang's or Holly Short's hair style/color different, so I'm just saying, even if you're trying to follow a book when making a visual series/movie, things do change, and with both, there will occasionally be book "facts" that will be correct in either the movie or show, but different in the other.

It really annoys me when shows, movies, comic books/manga, etc. change the actual books facts about characters.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:17:00 PM by graciousserendipity »

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »

It annoys me, too. Very much so.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »

Shay's Story and Cutters also had canon discrepancies. It felt like a betrayal of Scott's original ideas.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »

Yeaaaaah. So if both the movie and the TV show happen, I'll have three things to complain about inaccuracies over ^-^

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »

Yay! Fangirly nitpicking FTW!

graciousserendipity

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

Haha yeah, because nobody EVER watches movies based on teen novels. Like, I don't know a whole group of twenty-somethings who are just dying to see Divergent or whatever. People are totally getting tired of them. Totally.

Why do u say that?  Not everyone is getting tired of teen novel movies, and they definitely do watch them.  First of all, Harry Potter movies were based on teen novels, and practically everyone loved them, including my mother, who did NOT watch Rowling's books because she doesn't like fantasy or sci-fi novels.  For a huge family visit, my parents, siblings, and I all joined and watched Divergent, and we LIKED it! My mother even liked The Maze Runner trailer it gave, and said "We r definitely seeing that one."  They've all watched The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and not gotten tired of YA movies.
From what I've told her about Uglies, (and I've told her a lot but kept enough of the book's secrets and plot), for her opinion, she truly thinks that a movie would be much better and be willing to watch it that way.

I understand that there is a competition problem due to other YA movies coming out, but Uglies just seems better as a movie. Why, Westerfeld?!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:56:30 PM by graciousserendipity »

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »

Why do u say that?  Not everyone is getting tired of teen novel movies, and they definitely do watch them.  First of all, Harry Potter movies were based on teen novels, and practically everyone loved them, including my mother, who did NOT watch Rowling's books because she doesn't like fantasy or sci-fi novels.  For a huge family visit, my parents, siblings, and I all joined and watched Divergent, and we LIKED it! My mother even liked The Maze Runner trailer it gave, and said "We r definitely seeing that one."  They've all watched The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and not gotten tired of YA movies.
From what I've told her about Uglies, (and I've told her a lot but kept enough of the book's secrets and plot), for her opinion, she truly thinks that a movie would be much better and be willing to watch it that way.

I understand that there is a lot of problem due to other YA movies, but Uglies just seems better as a movie. Why, Westerfeld?!

She's being sarcastic.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: 1 [2] 3