Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TV Show + Reason Why  (Read 2086 times)

graciousserendipity

TV Show + Reason Why
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:03:45 AM »

I have some suggestions that might be why Uglies is turning into a tv show instead of a movie.  For one, there are already a couple YA movie series on and coming up, such as The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Maze Runner.  In addition, (never read TMR), THG and D are both, like Uglies, in a post-apocalyptic time period, with a girl as the absolute main character, along with romance.  So instead of a movie, a show might get him a better profit and more watchers, after certain people maybe being tired of YA movies.

Westerfeld could of course not gotten the deal he wanted when meeting those movie guys, or he might not have liked the way they were writing the script and couldn't get them to change it, so good-bye to them.  But there is also just the possibility that he thought the visual of his novel would sell better as a show, due to all the other YA movie series coming out, and he would get a better profit, like I suggested.

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Re: TV Show + Reason Why
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »

Yeah, I mentioned on a different thread that one of the reasons why its been turned into a TV show is because it would have a better market as that instead of a movie.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »

Plus they have enough time to include everything if they do a TV show.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »

Look at Stargate. Ran for 10 seasons and had even more spinoffs.
Look at Supernatrual, same deal.
Lets do the math;
One episode=40 or so minutes of TV time (plus 20 for commercials). Each season's about 22 episodes long or so.
40x22=880 minutes, devided by 60=nearly 14 hours of time in a single TV season.
Devide that by 2 (the average lenght of a movie) and you get a whopping 7 movies worth of air time in a single TV season. Considering that its possible to compress something like, say, Catching Fire into 2 hours...we might have a problem of having too LITTLE to work with instead of too much.
How are we going to stretch four rather short books into a full season?
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:05 AM »

By including everything that happened.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Straif

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:58 AM »

Yeah, but that would cover MAYBE half a season, if that.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »

So, would there be entire episodes where Tally wanders around putside eating SpagBol? Maybe a miniseries would be better. It's longer than a movie, but wouldn't include as much screen time as a full season of a TV show.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »

Fair enough. I guess a miniseries would be better.

- Catvomitsky

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »

You know what would be really awesome, and help with this apparent "lack of detail problem"? If the tv show was shown from the viewpoints of multiple characters, not just Tally.

Think about it. There could be scenes like:
- Both Tally and Shay sneaking into different parts of New Pretty Town, before meeting on the bridge
- A brief scene of Peris and his pretty friends, where Zane could be briefly introduced
- A flashback of Shay and Zane chickening out of the plan to leave for the Smoke
-Perhaps a few scenes showing Shay's own journey to the smoke (I pictured she had a much easier time, which would show just how different the two girls are)
- Scenes shown from Cable's pov, such as her finding out that Shay has run away and deciding to use Tally to track her down, or a moment when she briefly mentions the city of Diego (maybe hinting at the "war")

Of course Tally's scenes would be the most numerous, since she is the main character, but there's sooooo much room to expand on the goings ons of other characters as well (which could add a more interesting dynamic to the story while still following the original plot). It could add more excitement for those of us who are really familiar with the story as well. This would make it easy to get at least 10 episodes, which is enough for one season.

I'm hoping that's what happens. Like man, why am I not directing this?

graciousserendipity

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »

Although I still want a movie rather than a show, I have to admit that occasional scenes from different main characters and Shay's Story, including flashbacks and such, would most likely make the show/season better.
Good idea, Eraisuithiel.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:53:24 PM by graciousserendipity »

Straif

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »

So...it could be handled like Once Upon a Time, or Lost?
Resident Halo Fanatic

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »

Never watched either of those, but I guess

Straif

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 04:35:11 AM »

I didn't either but I hear they were really good so I'm secretly hoping yet.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Noelle-wa

• Stay icy my friends.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »

I know this post is kinda old and there's another one too, but that being said... a TV show would be PERFECT (in my opinion).
You can totally fit all the stuff into one TV show! (That's the least of your problems.) Either make it 3 seasons long or just a mini-series. The possibilities are ENDLESS! :D

Of course Tally's scenes would be the most numerous, since she is the main character, but there's sooooo much room to expand on the goings ons of other characters as well (which could add a more interesting dynamic to the story while still following the original plot). It could add more excitement for those of us who are really familiar with the story as well. This would make it easy to get at least 10 episodes, which is enough for one season.

I'm hoping that's what happens. Like man, why am I not directing this?

You're spot on right there. (And I feel you about the directing bit XD)

As as already mentioned (at some point) the marketing would be totally different. They would have less competition for sure (especially since the YA-novels-to-movies are a pretty big thing now). Also, so many adaptations have been butchered (not all!) because they try to tailor to mass audiences a movie would potentially draw. But with a TV show they don't necessarily have to do that (well not that movies HAVE to but you know what I mean) and they'll still get viewers of course.
I also think there would be less pressure to get "stars" in the lead roles. Personally I think this series needs kind of unknowns in the teenage roles. Does anyone else agree? I don't know, maybe a one or two popular people in the adult roles but for the others I think it'd be refreshing with unfamiliar faces :)
Now with the popularity of Netflix and all I think TV is kind of making a resurgence- or getting a "new face", if you will. (Has anyone else noticed? It's interesting.) But I think the Uglies will potentially go along quite well with it!  ;D

Also, I just realized: NO PUN INTENDED 
~Noelle~ :D

"The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant"
-The one and only, Doctor

"Are you a fan of delicious flavor?"
YES. YES I AM.

Straif

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »

It worked for Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn...I mean they had the chick from Chronicle's of Narnia in there but everyone else was a newbie.
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: [1] 2