Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: where do u think the series takes place?  (Read 7971 times)

Shay-la-wa

• My picture is Peeta, but Cinna's way better.
Re: where do u think the series takes place?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »

Well, it's going to sink in the next few hundred years, the way the plates are moving.
I'm not good enough
I'm not what they want
But let me tell you what
I know who I am
~ Outcast, Kerrie Roberts

For one moment
I wish you'd hold your stage
With no feelings at all
Open minded
I'm sure I used to be so free
~ Citizen Erased, Muse

~THE WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPECIAL

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 12:33:32 AM »

tally's city is on the map in b to b. yep, i knew bout vancouver island.
Member since April 24th 2010.
----------------------------------
Author of "We All Come Home"
Short story; pub. March 2018
in Scarborough Fair Magazine
www.youtube.com/maragrace

Nina-Chan

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »

no more gulf of florida...

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »

No more Great Lakes...
Member since April 24th 2010.
Author of "We All Come Home"
Short story; pub. March 2018
in Scarborough Fair Magazine
www.youtube.com/maragrace

Dryxab

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »

I have a Theory on tally's city Location. Its a bit long cause, im a bit crazy ;D
I am From spokane washinton so its a bit of an obsession to wish tally's city is just outside My own.

It was originally a message to a friend of mine, and I'm just copy + pasting it here.

------------------------------------------------

So I was reading Bogus to Bubbly, The companion guide for Scott Westerfields Uglies series. I read the part about Hoverboards, which states, "Electromagnetic Lifters: Powerful enough to levitate the boards weight and yours, and to propel you forward at up to 'Eighty Kilometers."

So I do the math,  which is, Kilometers to miles = 8 to 5. So therfore we can assume that Eighty kmh is 50 Mph. Just under the average speed of a car on the freeway.

In Uglies it never states the time it takes them to reach the Rusty Ruins of Seattle. Assuming that the creators of Tallys City were people From Seattle predominantly, It stands to reason that they would not have left the state Of Washington.

Now, I know I sound crazy by this point, "Brady, You just want it to be Spokane." Well yes, Of course I do. You do too, but that would be too much of a coincidence. Following are my reasons behind my claim, Spokane Is the site of Tally's City.

1. The Metropolitan area of Seattle is HUGE. The other Major cities in the area of the state, Tacoma and Olympia for example, are only seperated by other smaller cities that are connected by many Roads and 4-5 (I can't remember how many) Freeways.

2. Assuming the Rusties, had expanded further in the 100-150 (I'm Hopeful for that many years.), from now till the Crash; The Seattle Metropolitan area would be more like "The Cascade Metro"

3.  This would have a dramatic effect on the landscape of the area; More freeways, clear cutting, and even destroying Mountains, to make more space for the rapidly growing area populace which planet wide should be at around 12 billion or more people. That could equate to over 15-20 Million people in the Cascade region.

4. (Opinion) Spokane has never had quite a good enough economy or reputation. The city would certainly grow, much like seattle and other areas, but I don't think The area could sustain itself for more than 1 Million or even 2 million despite taking up areas as far as Ritzville, Washington or Coeur D'alene, Idaho. Reasons are for Transportation costs, and Job markets  are low now, think of what could happen in the next 100 years.

5. (Opinion) The crash forced r'us'ties (hehe) to flee the horrors of the Metro areas. The Surviving rusties From both the Cascade Metro and the Greater Spokane Area Metro, Met somewhere closer to Moses lake. After making the decision to control population growth, and try to eke out a living in the world they destroyed, The leaders settled on the idea of Moving further away from the Cascade area, So as to distance future generations from the ruins.

The Crash had decimated the Metropolitan area of Greater Spokane, Leaving its already Flat Landscape, empty save rubble and  crumbling buildings.  Once the fires had receded, the surviving Rusties began to clean the area of Washington between Davenport and Airway heights. An area which spans 26 Miles, Its distance from spokane close enough to salvage but far away enough to avoid having to worry about. As hundreds of years passed the remnants of the Rusties in the Greater Spokane metro disappeared as the Survivors collected salvaged metal (for the grids and Hover technology), and other things that were necessary for them to create the world as portrayed in Uglies. At the same time, natural forces were eroding the rest of the legacy of Rusties, leaving only a few Hollow Monliths, standing in the heart of Spokane.

6. The distance from Davenport washington, to seattle is roughly 261 miles or 420 Kilometers from Seattle washington. At 80 Kilometers an hour it would take 5.25 hours to reach the Center of seattle. Assuming the girls left just after dusk, which in the early summer is around 7:30 they would arrive in seattle at 12:45. add a half hour for the roller coaster, fifteen minutes waiting for david, and 15 minutes traveling time between both places, They would leave seattle at 1:45. They would then arrive back in ugly ville at exactly 7 AM, Just a few short hours before Tally must wake up and do her chores.

Okay, now that that's done.

With this information, No Spokane as it is now, Is not the site of Tally's City, but the future Spokane Metro is a Probable candidateNone of this is for certain of course, as I am not the author. However, with the estimates of growth, and the calculations for time it is not a unsound theory.
 ----------------------------------------------------
Im done now,

P.S. Most numbers are estimates.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:39:44 PM by Dryxab »

Madi-La

• i'm back bitches!!
    • my POLYVORE
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 03:47:41 AM »

Always thought SoCal, cuz there's Deigo (San Diego) and she talks about all of the cliffs into the water, big towns, and like how she says something bout a valley where lot of people died of something (AKA Death Valley) cuz it's so hot!!!
Or maybe I'm just biased

~~Westerforum's Restident Jasper Lover and Bonus Blondie~~

kristina-la

• A 1000 times I've failed still your mercy remains
    • tumblr
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »

Im still going to cling on to my hope
of it being near Vancouver :)
close enough :P

“No matter how filthy something gets, you can always clean it right up”

Madi-La

• i'm back bitches!!
    • my POLYVORE
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »

Dude LOL, were crazy!!!

~~Westerforum's Restident Jasper Lover and Bonus Blondie~~

Vadmaus

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

Tally live in Los Angeles, (future) because she thought she crossed the Mojave. Aya lives in Tokyo

Paris - Sensei

• I'm a dancer at heart :D
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »

Yeah I am reading bogus to bubbly right now and I think that she lives near seattle too
"Two words for ya, Stu - Pid!"
~Unknown

Life is like a book, Too bad I wrote in pen so I cant erase my mistakes...
~me :)

Vadmaus

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »

dude she doesn't live near Seattle. The Mojave Desert is't near Seattle, plus there is Diego.

shadley

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »

Yeah and she had to take a long journey to diego, so she could have been near seattle its just north and a little east from San Diego assuming Diego got it's name from that.

Vadmaus

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »

Most likely, Diego is in the Yucatan, or Panama region. Cause she said it was close to the equator.

Paris - Sensei

• I'm a dancer at heart :D
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »

wow you ppl think to much lol  :D
"Two words for ya, Stu - Pid!"
~Unknown

Life is like a book, Too bad I wrote in pen so I cant erase my mistakes...
~me :)

Vadmaus

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 05:34:56 AM »

yuppers
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6