Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: I am going to write a book  (Read 10327 times)

Gentlebiscuit

I am going to write a book
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »

I am going to write a book.
I have always wanted to but it was Leviathan that convinced me that it was possible, hence me writing about it on this forum.
I am not going to talk about it here [spoilers #RiverSong] but I would be absolutely honored if you peeps would tell me what you personally want me to write about.
I'm not promising that I will or anything, I'm still sticking to my story, but I would love to hear from you guys.  :)

Besly,

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: I am going to write a book
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »

Welcome to the Westerforum and good luck with your book! :D
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:50 AM »

Just do whatever you want. The worst thing that a writer can do is be too afraid to write what they want out of fear that no one will like it.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »

Make it brutal. Make it violent. Make it disturbing and provocative. Good ground rules for any book in my expereince.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »

Wait... Tractionist? Do I detect a cannibal cities fan?

Straif

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »

Cannibal cities, Mortal Engines Quartet, Hungry City Chronicles, depends on who you talk to...
But yeah.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »

Wait... Tractionist? Do I detect a cannibal cities fan?

YOU'VE HEARD OF MORTAL ENGINES! :D

Straif

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »

So it would seem that he has.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

Lol, it makes me happy to see someone get that excited over the mortal engines :]
Predators Gold was the first book that I had ever read which contained steampunk, I'd always loved steampunk but I'd never known what it was called or found any books or shows that had it in it. After that I devoured the third and first books [in that order]. I still haven't read Darkling plain and I kinda don't want to....IT CANNOT END! :[

But seriously though, Mortal engines, Leviathan and Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood are [at the very least in my opinion] the best three steampunk series in the world. :]

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »

YOU'VE SEEN FMA! :D (Heheh :) )
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Straif

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »

I think FMA is TECHINCALLY "magic-punk", or maybe "diesel-punk", but your right its still very good.
Mortal Engines was the first one I found too...good introduction I'd say.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:19 PM »

Lol! I like it here, everyone is so easy to get excited!
Also, I get what you mean by "magic punk" Straif but I think that's a little bit off. You see, Mortal Engines, FMA and Leviathan are the three best examples of Steampunk because of what they are.
Mortal Engines is quite frankly the best ever example of the scale that is steampunk is capable of, when written correctly that is. A less talented writer might have thought of having cities on wheels, then completely ignored the ways that that would impact the world. Mortal engines has a planet that is ravaged by horrific wars and horrific excess, and what makes it such a masterpiece is that it goes the whole way, everything is huge, disastrous and amazing, and it is the most endearing thing about the series.
FMA is the best example of realistic or elegant steampunk. Every piece of technology in FMA MAKES SENSE! They are all feasible technologies [except of course alchemy, although it is very believable] what makes them fantastic is that they have been accomplished before their time [e.g. automail and carbon fibre are both possible] and the scientific advancements that they have made that haven't been accomplished in real life [such as the automail] are due to their knowledge being accelerated by alchemic research. To put it simply, FMA makes no excuses, it doesn't have to have buildings wrapped with pipes and everyone wearing top hats to be steampunk, it is what it is. It is a perfect example of lite steampunk or steamdeco. And at no point is the suspension of disbelief necessary [exept of course when a fifteen year old jumps twice their own height, but thats just cartoon physics for you].
Leviathan is a combination of both, vast in scale but matter of fact in the way it is presented, to the point where it can portray cliche'd concepts like walkers yet have them instantly believable.
What all three have in common is that they each follow their own logic perfectly, and their respective logic systems are close enough to real life to be believable, and that is what makes them so endearing!
However Leviathan and Mortal Engines also share in the romantic side of steampunk, the whimsy that comes with sipping hot chocolate in the Jenny's cabin while watching a wasteland roamed by cannibal cities fall beneath the curvature of the earth, to take an air taxi around a city MADE OF CITIES! Or the nostalgia of picturing Derryn scribbling away on the spine or imagining walls covered in steam or messanger lizard pipes, or visiting a library covered in spider walkers, or drinking turkish coffee at a shadow puppet show with lilit and Alek. FMA has a romance of its own, but FMA tells its story through alchemy, rather than tech.
All three however are absolute masterpieces, artworks that are just perfect, absolutely impossible to reproduce. In fact one of my biggest fears is that I might subconciously base my work on them, the last thing I want to do is write another Knock off.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 10:54:35 PM »

Also I am an anti tractionist. The earth will be green again.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »

Oh, and all three use steampunk as an excuse to tell a story [e.g. a crashed zeppelin wouldn't have been able to leave the alps in leviathan and without automail Edward Elric would have been unable to perform alchemy] rather than cobble together a story as an excuse to show steampunk.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:56 PM »

Very poetic explaination :) *applauds* I still need to read Mortal Engines, though :P

- Catvomitsky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16