Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Pretties without Uglies?  (Read 1920 times)

Mara-la

• Life is asymmetrical.
    • DigiArt12
Pretties without Uglies?
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:32:59 AM »

I was in my Writer's Craft class and my teacher (who also teaches ESL, right before my class) was putting away a bunch of copies of Pretties. I got really excited about this, because it was like... amazing. The book is part of the school's literature circles for ESL. Awesome. So I asked her about it and it turns out they just read Pretties and not Uglies. This makes no sense to me since Pretties is the second in the series and Uglies is the first. Also, they don't finish the series. So... what even? Why read the second book in a serialized series?
Member since April 24th 2010.

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
Re: Pretties without Uglies?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:35:35 AM »

Another question: Why read Pretties in an English as a Second Language class? 

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »

I was in my Writer's Craft class and my teacher (who also teaches ESL, right before my class) was putting away a bunch of copies of Pretties. I got really excited about this, because it was like... amazing. The book is part of the school's literature circles for ESL. Awesome. So I asked her about it and it turns out they just read Pretties and not Uglies. This makes no sense to me since Pretties is the second in the series and Uglies is the first. Also, they don't finish the series. So... what even? Why read the second book in a serialized series?
That...is very strange ???

Another question: Why read Pretties in an English as a Second Language class? 
Beeeeeecause it's written in English? Why not?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »

Probably cause its interesting to most ESL kids and it would provide a challange, since its in English but there's slang.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Luna Lovegood

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »

Yes, but it's fake slang. I'd look at a foreigner in kind of a weird way if he actually used bubbly in his everyday lexicon.   

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:54 AM »

If they're advanced enough in English to be reading a book like Pretties, they probably know that people don't really use those words, or at least would have no problem picking them out if they're told that people don't really use them.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »

Good point. Maybe he just got them mad cheap somewhere?
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Luna Lovegood

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »

Knowing how popular Scott is, that wouldn't at all be out of the question. 

Mara-la

• Life is asymmetrical.
    • DigiArt12
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

Well my high school had a lower score on the provincial English literacy test because it's mostly immigrants.... so idk what their level was. But it was strange
Member since April 24th 2010.

Noelle-wa

• Stay icy my friends.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »

I know this is kinda old, but I think it's funny because the same thing happened to me the other day but with Leviathan!
I was taking the ACT and when looking around the classroom I was in, (I figured it was english because there were books EVERYWHERE) I noticed Behemoth was on display.
I had a mini fan-freakout before I realized Leviathan wasn't there. Why the second and not the first? Weird.
~Noelle~ :D

"The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant"
-The one and only, Doctor

"Are you a fan of delicious flavor?"
YES. YES I AM.

Lexa-Wa

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

Remember, the Prettiest are pretty empty headed, the book is written in simplified format compared to Uglies because of that. If you read Uglies and Pretties right after each other you can tell the difference. Aside from the slang, it has simple vocabulary and is written in shorter, simpler sentences. So really, Prettiest is a great novel to read for ESL students. They don't care about going into the story line, the teach just wants to make sure the kids understand what they are reading.
College man