Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why Did You Read The Series?  (Read 27164 times)

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
Why Did You Read The Series?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »

The stories behind this are always interesting...everyone's got their own little reasoning.
And just as interestingly actually, why some people DIDN'T.

I read it because its biopunk, which I've always enjoyed, and I was hoping for some epic battles. Not so much on the last part but hey, biopunk!
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

BlueberryDoughnut

• Knife Wife, Keeper of the Holy Bun
Re: Why Did You Read The Series?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:04 AM »

I'd read the Uglies series, Peeps, and The Last Days, and I enjoyed the latter two very much. (Uglies left some things to be desired, in my opinion, but that's for a different thread.) I'd heard of steampunk before, but I didn't have a clear understanding of what it was. So I read Leviathan and loved every second of it.
"We are not drawn to God by iron chains, but by sweet attractions and holy inspirations."
      ~ St. Francis de Sales

"God can write straight with crooked lines. We just have to let Him in."
      ~ Fr. Mike Schmitz

"Love is a losing game...one I wish I never played..."
       ~ Amy Winehouse

FirelordAzula

• I'll show you lightning!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »

I actually hadn't read any Scott Westerfeld before when I saw Leviathan in a used book store. The cover looked really interesting so I bought it. Before I knew it, I had finished Leviathan and Behemoth, and was reading through his other series while waiting for Goliath. And I don't regret it one bit.
Westerforum Resident Thing-Starter!

Wielder of the Staff of Sanity Transfer, Official Peep of the Bloodbath, Watcher of Too Much Anime and Buffy, Lord of the Fire Nation, Amateur Player of Banjo, Book-Obsessed Teenager~yep, that's me.

Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

Never read any of Scot's stuff until this. But a few years ago, my brother got this book for xmas and said it was awesome. So I read it too.

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:54 AM »

At the end of the school year I think 3 years ago my book discussion wegot to vote for the last book we were going to read for the year. I voted for Leviathan and it turned out that that was the majority vote, so we read it.
I always liked history, was really carried  intrigued by the cultural and technological advances of the Victorian & Edwardian eras,and I was just starting to get interested in science fiction so I really loved Leviathan, told my older brother about it because we share similar taste in books, it turns out he already read it and then he introduced me to Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. after that  I made some steampunk you want to read jewelry, put together some outfits that I've posted in the what are you wearing thread and decorated my wheelchair for a Mortal Engines cosplay.

Straif

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »

(Best damn idea ever too)
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »

I was sitting in my school library bored beyond belief. Cause I can never find my type of book you know? I'd just finished reading the first mortal engines book earlier that day and then I saw the cover of Leviathan on the shelf next to me. I'd seen Behemoth and Goliath with the cheesy live action covers before and so I almost didn't pick it up.
I did. I was literally hooked from before the first page. The second I saw that in cover map I knew I was holding a thing of beauty. Went home, finished it over night and the rest is history. :] Actually, that same night I started the first draft of my first story idea.

Hiss.

BagpipeHeadache

• Me and the master!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »

My best friend (Miguel on the forum) gave me an advanced review copy of Leviathan that he got from a friend. I let it sit for about a month before I picked it up. I read each book in three hours as soon as I got them.  XD

Nightwatcher

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »

I read it because I had read the Uglies series, and the book Extras had an exert in it. It sounded great, so I bought it and read it.

Daemyn Sterk

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »

I was at the library one day looking for the sequel of a book that's name I've forgotten now. Couldn't find it, so I started looking around for other books. Took a chance on Leviathan, not knowing much about it. Became hooked immediately and now that I've finished I'm empty ;-;

|ĸιrα|

• bad boyfriend, damn good babysitter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:38 AM »

My friend told me to read it like a year before I actually did, and literally pestered me day and night until I actually did. Then I think I finished the series as fast as Amazon Shipping would allow.

I'm stealthy, like a ninja

Dinosaurs-in-Airplanes

• Swimming Dragon
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »

I could barely remember, but now that I think about it I read it because I was in a book club. That was the book we were reading that week. No one else really liked it but I fell in love with it! So the teacher lent me her copy of Behemoth and I was hooked.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Haikyuu

--Member of the small jaw club-- c:

Straif

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »

Funnily enough it was my friend who gave it to me...he found it first and introduced me to it. Most of our conversations revolved around fabricated humans and the possiblity of the Flood as a Darwinist weapon.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »

This guy in my class read it and recommended it to a friend of mine, who proceeded to pester me on a daily basis for three months until I read it.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

frenchllama

• deviantart
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »

I chose to read Uglies for a school project back in seventh grade, and after I finished the series, I wanted to check out what else the author had written. And thus I found the Leviathan series.
Volger on a hoverboard.
Fencing.
Pages: [1] 2