Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The cutters  (Read 7333 times)

Tabac vie

The cutters
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:59:34 AM »

I wanted to Discuss the similarities and differences of cutting in todays society and how it is potrayed in the books.

Also open to any other variation revolving around that subject.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
Re: The cutters
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:05:14 AM »

Well i am a cutter....in real life..lol...........and to make a comparison...in his books they cut for clarity....and that is exactly what i do......but the difference is those days that i cut out of anger or sadness..........im not trying to be clear..im just trying to get rid of pain..
Breathe in the air of pandemonium....

Shay-la-wa

• My picture is Peeta, but Cinna's way better.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:45:09 AM »

Hmmm... I would cut for clarity... No other reason.
CUTTERS ROCK!
I'm not good enough
I'm not what they want
But let me tell you what
I know who I am
~ Outcast, Kerrie Roberts

For one moment
I wish you'd hold your stage
With no feelings at all
Open minded
I'm sure I used to be so free
~ Citizen Erased, Muse

~THE WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPECIAL

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:41 AM »

whoop whoop :)

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »

occasionally for clarity, more often because i'm angry or upset
i think for most people who cut in our society its a way of emotional relief, rather than clarity like it is in the books... in our society, cutting for clarity to me means to help you understand how you feel, whereas in the books i think its more like to remove the "cloud" that the pretty-op causes in people's brains and to see the world in a more clear way and understand the world for what it is beyond societies restrictions
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. Coco Chanel
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Yves Saint Laurent

Tabac vie

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »

I have never been a cutter myself but I had a friend in high school who was (and eventually died from it) who cut as a way to get rid of clarity that only when she was cutting could she forget. Is cutting something that is unique to a person? Because in the book what got me is that none of these people had anything to really be emotional in that way about, at least on the surface. What I find interesting is that despite the fact that the world was supposed to be perfect the same anger and selfloathing is still there. That I find very interesting.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

Tabac vie

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

yes. Seriously it was a very difficult thing to go through. me and several of her friends tried to help her but..... It's not something to laugh about or to start just for the hell of it. it's an illness.

shadley

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

Although I wouldn't cut in our world, I would for clarity if I were stuck in the position of the Pretties with their brain lesions.  I'm biased though, Team Shay all the way! Lol that rhymes.

Tabac vie

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »

It's frightening to think of needing clarity enough to cut yourself in that manner....of course even in todays society I don't understand cutting...well I understand it I just never saw the appeal...when I needed to release anger or to forget something I pushed myself into physical attivity

shadley

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:35:38 AM »

Me too, it's the exact same with me.  I understand but I don't see the appeal. I'm a runner so anytime I need to release some anger or any emotion I run.

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:43:09 AM »

I agree that it is serious, and its annoying to me when people think that its just something to do for a bit of attention or because they want to look "tough". i saw your posts on the confessions topic, tabac vie, and i'm sorry about your friend, its clear that you tried to help but its true that people have to want to change, and cutting is difficult to break out of 
i think cutting is something that is unique to a person, sometimes for me it helps me feel more in control which is weird because when i think about it i suppose its actually something out of control. if i'm upset then its just a way to block some of the problems out and sort of numb everything. or if i'm angry then its the only way i can take out my frustration. i also feel guilty really easily, even if something isn't my fault at all, so sometimes i'll cut myself to make myself feel that i have punished myself, which i know sounds strange.... i can't explain specific reasons, i can just explain how i have done, partly because i don't really like explaining things that upset me, partly because sometimes i actually don't know why i feel the way i do
its something that i don't like doing, but it helps, and difficult because its something that is a constant secret. i've been trying to stop but it isn't easy (i stopped for a while when people first found out, then it became very occassional, and gradually it got worse again, although i don't think its ever been as frequent as it was when i first started, the cuts are much worse now)

Pedestrian

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »

The cutters in the Uglies series cut for clarity, yes. But I think there's this idea behind that which makes it similar to real life cutting. Chloe-wa sort of mentioned this.
In the psychology of self harm, sometimes people cut because there's this idea that it's better to be in pain than to feel nothing, and cutting at least makes them feel something. That's how the pretty cutters clique got started, as a cure to feeling nothing. As pretties, they didn't feel real emotion since they were in a pretty haze all the time. They cut themselves so they could.

There are people in our society who cut so that they can feel something. A lot of people who have depression aren't actually sad all the time, they're just really, really apathetic about life. And if they hate feeling that way, they might try to do anything just to feel something else. But I think most people who cut do the opposite, that they're trying to relieve stress or emotion, not induce it.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »

Cutting is bad. Wow - state the obvious.
Member since April 24th 2010.
----------------------------------
Author of "We All Come Home"
Short story; pub. March 2018
in Scarborough Fair Magazine
----------------------------------
www.youtube.com/maragrace

LoisFleem

• Stay Strong<3
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »

Pedestrian. . . . Agreed. . But an exception is unusual days. . . I cut when i feel so much inward pain i need an escape. And outward pain allows that. I have times of plain disappointment and i dont know what im feeling so i cut to feel anything.

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »

i understand that feeling of disappointment, i'm such a perfectionist and if i don't do something right or to my standards then i get so angry with myself and so upset, and even if no-one says anything, i feel like everyone else thinks i'm stupid or is disappointed in me too
often, its difficult to say what you feel or to tell someone else how you feel... there have been times when i have had so many things going on in my head and just not been able to deal with them on my own, but by telling other people i feel weak and i'm always terrified that people will think i'm being stupid or laugh at me, so cutting is another way to deal with it without me burdening others
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10