Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extras Discussion :D  (Read 1747 times)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Extras Discussion :D
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »

This board is all but dead, so I thought I'd start a thread based on thoughts I was having the other day on the fourth book in the Uglies series, Extras.

When I first read the series, I was of the opinion that Extras wasn't as meaningful as the other books, that the original three were full of powerful messages about beauty and self-discovery and a number of other subjects, and that Extras was mostly an "extra", just Scott's venture into a world that he missed writing in, mostly to explore what happened after Specials. But lately I've been thinking that the theme of Extras is about regression and how human nature ultimately never changes.

I mean, think about it:

The first three books were essentially about breaking the superficial mentality of Tally's society that forced its people to conform to an ideal image, and repress their true selves. Attention end of Specials, that goal is achieved. Human ingenuity is given free reign thanks to the pills, people can keep their faces and their personalities, no more Special Circumstances, all that jazz. But, in Aya's city, society has regressed to pretty much embody the same ideals that the mind-rain sought to eradicate. People are again worshipping the Pretties (in this case Nana Love, the Natural Pretty), expected to ditch their true silver in favor of a shared ideal (higher face rank). All in all, it's back to being superficial again. The main difference is that people can actually use their brains now, but on this flip side of that, they almost bombed the Extras, who were the pacifists ("Freedom has a way if destroying things"). Even Tally, who supposedly cured herself, is back to being volatile, *coughcough*BITCHY*cough*, and Specialheaded. Like society, Tally has once again become the very thing she set out to change about herself. Freedom tends to bring change, and that includes the possibility of changing back into what you were before. Only some people, like the Extraterrestrials and on a smaller scale, the Tech-Heads as the Neofoodies and all the innovative cliques, work to bring positive change, the kind of change that moves humanity forward. This is my take on what Extras is about (although it has a lot of different themes, like Uglies) but since there's never one way to interpret literature, what do you all think? I feel like Uglies, Pretties, and Specials are always the ones to be analyzed and thought about, and Extras is under-appreciated :(

(Also, did anyone else think about how Extras was an extra book to the original trilogy,  Four is the fourth book in the Divergent trilogy? They kind of embody their place in the series?$

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Extras Discussion :D
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, but I don't think that society really regressed back to what it was. In the pre-mind rain society, people rejected the people who tried to be different from everyone else, but post mind-rain, everyone was allowed to be different and strange. On the other hand though, being different became normal, and they did seem to start rejecting the people who were different by staying normal.

(And I would never have drawn that parallel between Extras and Four XD)
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »

But then the definition of "normal" became "being different", or what was previously thought of as different. So now being different is normal, and being normal is seen as being normal aka boring but it's actually different from what most people are doing. But that's only appearance-wise, people are allowed to be strange but if you reject the shared value of wanting to gain face rank, which is not "normal", then you are frowned upon. I'm not sure how much sense that just made... :P

(The first thing I said when I saw Four was "IT'S LIKE EXTRAS" and my mom was all like, wait wat •~• )

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »

That made sense and is a very good point. I guess it reverted back to the rejecting outsiders thing, but in a different way. I still think post mind-rain beats pre mind-rain any day, though. At least the society has a say in what's normal.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »

I'm still trying to decide which one is better. There's a lot of points in favor of both. See, that's what I love about Igloos, it makes you think c:

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:18 AM »

Was that supposed to say Uglies? XD

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »

OMG UGLIES I MEANT UGLIES XDD

Now I'm imagining myself in deep thought over an actual igloo

This is probably the second-best Uglies-themed auto-correct ever XP

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »

...what was the first?

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »

If the What if...? thread (I miss that thread so much T-T), I said "all the Udders" and I meant I type "all the Cutters", and then a post later I corrected myself and you said that you thought it was some sort of slang term for "others".

...why do I remember this so perfectly?  :o

EDIT: found it: http://scottwesterfeld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10281.msg1587980#msg1587980
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:21:37 AM by Catvomitsky »

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »

Okay, that is awesome XD

Back to the point: Yes, Uglies definitely makes you think. About a lot of things :) (And I suppose igloos might too.)

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »

As much as I love Midnighters and Leviathan (which I still have to finish DX), Uglies is and forever shall be my favorite SW book because of its infinite brain food. Part of what I love so much about it is that it has so many themes and meanings, and Scott's position on many of the philosophical points isn't really set in stone (except for saving the Earth). Like, it isn't too clear on what he believes the right ideals and the wrong ones., you know?

(On the subject of igloos, how would one go about building one? Theoretically it seems very hard. Would you carve the ice blocks into shapes that would make a dome id they were all stacked on top of one another, or what??)

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

Exactly. You can really choose to agree with the antagonists without feeling weird about it. Both of the sides make a lot of sense :)

(I dunno. The Internet probably does, though.)

- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »

I sometimes agreed with Cable and sometimes I agreed with Shay.

http://m.wikihow.com/Build-an-Igloo

Wikihow...tis a fascinating site.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »

I went around in circles believing in all of their sides at different times and at the same time.

I am not surprised.

- Catvomitsky

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »

Actually they're both wrong.
Shay is an idiot, and Cable likes to think she's big and bad but in reality could be out-thought by anyone with a slight amount of understanding of black operations tactics.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: [1] 2