Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: I have had a thought!  (Read 2349 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
I have had a thought!
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:38:23 AM »

Does anyone remember in Uglies that they mentioned how sometimes, the pretty operation doesn't work on people? I just realized that maybe that's because the brain surgery went wrong. Brain surgery seems a lot easier to mess up than the rest of it and a lot harder to fix if they do, and a lot harder to cover up a mistake in. Thoughts?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
Re: I have had a thought!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »

I like that idea!
pull the trigger, piglet,

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »

That's an interesting premise. I wonder what they'd do with all of the people whom they messed up on?

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »

I assumed that they died. Because they were clearly never seen by anyone ever, so either they die or they get locked up somewhere, in which case it probably would have come up at some point.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

LoveDoNotChange

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »

Very good post Read I'm not easy to understand it.
Actually the matter very much. There are benefits to living it.

Ledlower

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

Post an incredible track very much.

Tabac vie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »

This reminds me of the book Delirium by Lauren Oliver where love is seen as an illness and you have a surgery to "fix it" slight spoilers*** (a lot of times the experiment doesn't work and they keep them in prisons or they run out to the wilds)

This thread just made me think of this book. I feel like in Tally's world the issues would be dealt with the same.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »

Ah, I thought about that too! There are a lot of parallels between Delirium and Uglies.

Yone

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »

I dont think, they get killed. Evan the Specials only kill, if there is no other option. I think, they are never seen be someone, because they are to ashamed of ther ugly face. Some of them might be run away to the Smoke or evan kill therselfs.
,,Do you understand, liberty tends to dystroy things"(Tally Youngblood)

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 04:09:24 AM »

but the whole thing the specials say, " We don't want to hurt you but we will if we have to." I mean I'm not trying to support the specials but they  the don't just slaughter people immediately like a lot of other antagonists in stories. If you think about it that way the specials are even scarier then that because you know that they won't just make things quick and over with if they're not satisfied.

Maze-la

• Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »

I dont think, they get killed. Evan the Specials only kill, if there is no other option. I think, they are never seen be someone, because they are to ashamed of ther ugly face. Some of them might be run away to the Smoke or evan kill therselfs.
I agree with this.
But as a sort of compromise: Maybe there are people the brain surgery doesn't work on, like they're immune. They humiliate and/or threaten the failures so that they are forced to become a recluse.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »

I assumed that they died. Because they were clearly never seen by anyone ever, so either they die or they get locked up somewhere, in which case it probably would have come up at some point.

Sort of like the Spartan-II program candidates who washed out...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic