Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: We are going to write a book.  (Read 7027 times)

Gentlebiscuit

We are going to write a book.
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

We are going to write a book.

Everyone pitch in their ideas and we'll cobble a masterpiece out of them and post the result chapter by chapter.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Re: We are going to write a book.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »

The title of this thread makes me so happy ;D

How exactly will we go about this?

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »

Well, first step, world building.

How about the world is actually one giant road? Mountains, kingdoms everything. But all designed to reach a destination like in Pilgrims Progress?

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

And you said you were bad at making plans ::)

I don't know what Pilgrims Progress is, but that sounds like a juicy idea. Would the people who travel the road know what lies at the end or is that a mystery? Maybe he book could center around what would happen if someone deviated from the road?

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »

Possible, maybe the road should curve but be millions of kilometers long? Seeing as the human eye can spot stars that far away imagine and endless series of loops falling away into the distance.

Maybe God/heaven is at the other end?

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »

If the road is millions of km long, how would one reach the end?

holywalrus2

• Villain, I have done thy mother
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »

Is the road of this world manmade/finite, or supernatural/infinite?
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck."

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »

They could all be immortal unless killed, at which point they reappear at the start of the journey but stronger. In which case A:the road might not have an end, the Journey is literally the destination
B:the road might be circular

Supernatural I think.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »

Ooh maybe the destination is the beginning/ there is no destination but people don't realize that they're traveling in a circle since the world changes so much in between the times they visit the same point.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »

YES.

Which begs the question, if the road is infinite, eternal, is the beginning and the end, and is the purpose and source of all life, what if the road is God?

Hiss.

holywalrus2

• Villain, I have done thy mother
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »

This sounds like a concept I came up with once, which makes me happy. (which I came up with whilst driving on a road that literally had no exits for like half an hour I swear to god it felt like the afterlife except the fiery flames of hell would probably be better respite than that.) Great minds think alike, obviously.

Okay, is the world around the road modern, pseudo-medieval, or what? I think making a unique setting could make this idea really interesting. Also is it traversed by foot, car, dragon, fantasy creature that has yet to be imagined? 
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck."

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »

If this world is ever changing I don't think that technological advancement would really be possible, probably something closer to magic. As for cultures, they would probably be composed of groups that have banded together for safety.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »

Since the road is infinite and has neither a beginning nor an end, I don't think it should be specific to any time period. It can't feel too chronologically rooted.

And If the road is the source of all life and leads to itself and nowhere at the same time, that raises the question of, what happens if one leaves the road? Is there anything out there?

I can see the people believing that the destination is God, to give themselves a reason to continue, and they don't realize that the road is God and therefor it's own destination.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »

And If the road is the source of all life and leads to itself and nowhere at the same time, that raises the question of, what happens if one leaves the road? Is there anything out there?

I can see the people believing that the destination is God, to give themselves a reason to continue, and they don't realize that the road is God and therefor it's own destination.

Outside of the road I would imagine and endless void, light comes from every direction at once, the road loops back on itself so many times that it all but fills the sky.

Also, that would make a statement about that worlds God, he wants his children to know him, and he apparently wants to share their lives and have them understand that they need him.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »

So, how would our protagonist(s) discover the truth about the road?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7