Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: We are going to write a book.  (Read 7021 times)

Gentlebiscuit

Re: We are going to write a book.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »

Maybe they don't? Or maybe it's only after millions of years?

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »

So, how will our readers learn the truth about the road if not through the eyes of our protagonist(s)?

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »

Conjecture? People still aren't sure about the real worlds truth. Maybe the road itself could be a pov character? Or maybe it disguises itself as people and helps out sometimes?

Hiss.

holywalrus2

• Villain, I have done thy mother
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »

Perhaps it's only (heavily) implied, or maybe the novel could switch protags throughout the aeons. Like one in the world's beginning, one later, another, etc. etc.. And it could even be that the characters are reincarnated, or have something linking all of them despite the huge amounts of time separating them. This story sounds like it might focus more on the road than the characters, so we could use the characters just for an exposition on the history of the world. 
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck."

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

That sounds good, after all, if they go back to the start every time they die but the start is constantly changing, then they could experience it differently every time.

Hiss.

holywalrus2

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »

OOOOOHHH YES. I LOVE STUFF LIKE THAT. ARTISTIC REPETITION AND THE LIKE. BASICALLY ALL OF MY FAVORITE THINGS HAVE THAT ELEMENT TO THEM.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »

Yeah I can see the road being sort of a narrator in parts, maybe in third person omniscient?

So, who are our characters? One protagonist or a compilation of several? They could all be introduced separately, in alternating chapters perhaps, and then slowly the common thread between them could revealed, along with the truth about the road? Then only the reader would get the full picture, and learn about the road through the eyes of different characters.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

I KNOW. And imagine someone like looking over the edge at one point and like a million kilometers below them they see where they began becoming an ocean as the whole road continues like a conveyor belt but changing constantly.

And yeah cat, they should be like a culture of about five people I think.

Hiss.

holywalrus2

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »

Yeah, and it'd be really cool for all of the characters to be all alone on their journey. It makes the road ever more maddening.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »

Yeah, but maybe an occasional angel the size of a planet leans over the edge to give them advice.

Hiss.

holywalrus2

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »

Hmmm. It has to be the scary kind of angel though, all flames and multiple eyes rather than harps and purity or whatever. :P

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »

Well the people themselves really shouldn't be human, so for the angels I'm thinking gigantic eyeless humanoids composed of magnetic fluid that changes shape to fit their moods. And they drift between the loops of the road causing high tide in the bodies of water.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »

OOOHHH imagine someone getting severely injured and they're slowly crawling along and the place they die at is the place they started.

Or someone falling off the road and seeing everywhere they've been and ever will be.

Or dying and leaving someone behind when you're transported to another starting poit, then a thousand years later through your various life cycles, you both end up in the same point again and even pass each other but don't recognize each other because you've changed just as much as the road has

Oh, I love this.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »

YES. Or imagine that there's actually a religion that occurs throughout the road where people jump just to see the world.

Hiss.

holywalrus2

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

Oh yes. Walrus likes very much.

I like the separate timelines idea. If different people write different plotlines, it gives a lot of room for describing the world changing around the road.

There should always be constants within the journeys, though. The presence of the angel, the appearance of the road itself... anything else? And in like the final part, one of those changes drastically.

Hmmmmmm... What if the road is one big experiment, too?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7