Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Afterwords sequel?  (Read 1803 times)

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Afterwords sequel?
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:38 AM »

Do you think there will be a sequel?

I kind of want to see more of Lizzie's side of the story, the way the book ended for her it seems like there could be more added on to it.
but with Darcy's end of her story all the strings seem to be tied and adding more to that would just seem like things were dragging on, because her  story was a coming of age story. By the end it seemed like she  met her goals and grew up, adding more to realistic fiction part might just drag things around, but it would be really weird to see Lizzie's story change and grow with a sequel without Darcy's half being there.

Should there be a sequel?

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Afterwords sequel?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »

(As a side note, this didn't even turn up as an unread topic which would probably be why nobody noticed it. I'm not sure why though :P)

And I would definitely want to read more of Lizzie's story, but you're right that Darcy's might sort of drag on if more was added. Lizzie's might too, though, which would be why Darcy is having trouble with Untitled Patel.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

BlueberryDoughnut

• Knife Wife, Keeper of the Holy Bun
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »

After the way Darcy's Afterworlds ended, I would defintely read Untitled Patel. But I don't think Scott's Afterworlds really needs a sequel, because Darcy's story wrapped up quite nicely.
"We are not drawn to God by iron chains, but by sweet attractions and holy inspirations."
      ~ St. Francis de Sales

"God can write straight with crooked lines. We just have to let Him in."
      ~ Fr. Mike Schmitz

"Love is a losing game...one I wish I never played..."
       ~ Amy Winehouse

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »

I don't think there will be a sequel. I actually hope there isn't because it's been forever since I read a good standalone novel. But, I would totally read a sequel to Lizzie's story. I want to read about the ghost without a name!

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »

I want to read more about like everyone in Darcy's Afterworlds. Especially Mindy.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Maralinda

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:48:25 AM »

I feel like both Lizzie's and Darcy's stories ended kind of abruptly. For Lizzie, we don't know what happened with her and Yama, or with Mr. Hamlyn (and his deal), or how Jamie reacted. And these aren't just minor things; these are huge plot points. I really feel like they need to be tied up in a sequel. As for Darcy's story, I didn't like how she and Imogen just had one scene where we kind of saw them reconcile. I still don't feel like Darcy "came of age" - she has her apartment to deal with, her lack of money, and she has to prove her trustworthiness to her girlfriend. Plus, it seemed odd to end her story before her Afterworlds came out, with a kind of successful signing session. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I really want to know what happens next; it just seems very not tied up, if you know what I mean.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

i don't think it'll happen, but i'd love to see a pre sequel with Imogen as she writes Pyromancer. a lot of her backstory was filled in during Afterworlds but it'd be interesting to read it as it's happening from her perspective. also i just really wanna read Pyromancer, like the actual book.
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)