Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: publishing tips???  (Read 958 times)

any.aspiringwriter

publishing tips???
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »

So I just finished reading Afterworlds, and I loved it--it was the most interesting style of book, what with the two storylines and us being able to follow Darcy's rewriting process.
[As my username suggests] I really want to be a writer. I was wondering if anyone knew if it's true that the publishers only read your FIRST chapter when deciding if they want to publish you??? Just curious, before I try getting published.
If it's true, I better start vamping up my first chapters!!

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: publishing tips???
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »

This actually did get posted the first time. Our forum is weird sometimes :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:33:15 PM »

I've actually talked with a few people who have gotten published and they say it's not the first chapter, but only the first few paragraphs.
If they like it they will read more.

If you think about  it the people who work at publishing companies and agents get hundreds of offers daily & only have so much time.

I suggest you do more research on the publishing industry before you get your hopes too far up.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »

Either that or get your hopes up but prepare to have them dashed. That's what I'm doing. Maybe not the best approach, though, depending on who you are :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky