Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 129

Author Topic: Punch ups and punch lines and shipping [oh my]  (Read 31108 times)

Gentlebiscuit

Punch ups and punch lines and shipping [oh my]
« on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »

The Exalted are the chosen of Creations gods, granted superhuman power, authority and skills to conquer Creations enemies and to rule its people.
Why they were given power and how they use it are two different things however.
And nowhere is this more evident than in the realm.
Creation was once ruled by the solars, those who stole the suns power over Perfection, and the lunars, those who stole Luna's power over Survival. The solars defeated the primordials, the makers of Creation, and bound them within the gut of their leader Theion, transforming him into Malfeas, the incarnation of suffering and hell. The primordials were bound inside the grand corpse of malfeas, creating what we call hell.
The solars ruled the post-primordial war world with the Lunars by their side, ushering in the First Age of humanity. However, the Terrestrial Exalted [also known as dragon blooded as they are the weakest of the Exalted and thus can pass their power to their children] masters of the five elements, revolted against the solars and butchered them at a banquet at which all but twelve were present in what came to be known as the Usurpation, freeing the world from celestial tyranny.
The exaltations of the solars were bound in the jade prison in an unknown location, and the lunar exalted fled to the realms of the fae, the eldritch wyld beyond Creation.
The Shogunate took power and ruled for seven hundred years, introducing the immaculate faith as they did so. The immaculate faith claimed that dragon blooded were the rightful rulers of humanity, and that the solars and lunars were demons that had stolen the power of the Sun and Moon.
However, after seven hundred years the Deathlords, the ghosts of thirteen solars who had sold their souls to the underworld, released the Great Contagion, a plague that wiped out 90% of life on Creation, leaving it defenseless against the world eating fae, monsters from outside of reality.
The fae invaded in what came to be known as the Balorian crusade.
The fae ate the world unchecked until a dragon blooded officer found her way to an ancient first Age War Manse and turned its unfathomable firepower against the fae.
The fae retreated and the officer, now known as the Scarlet Empress claimed the land within range of her guns as her empire and named it the Realm.
Life returned to normal inside the realm and out and for seven hundred years the Empress has ruled her realm with the aid of the dynastic families of dragon blooded who fight off the dreaded Anathema,AKA the solar and lunar Exalted.
The dynasts are born with their authority, and even if they do not become an Exalted they still have access to power and privilege beyond the dreams of mere peasants.
They can be foolish and decadent or wise and temperate.
Tyrannical and monstrous or kind and heroic.
You are one. A child born into a dynast clan in the realm that has fallen on hard times, your clans last few Exalted are grown old, and they desperately need new dragon blood in the family veins to take up the spear, fist or daiklave.
Lets see how you do, shall we?

[Please let me know if you are interested in doing this at all, it'll save me time if you just say whether you don't want to do this or not]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:28:07 PM by Greysun »

Gentlebiscuit

Re: Journey to the East: Exalted Choose your own Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:24:31 PM »

Firstly, lets make your character.

Choose from the following.

- You are a child in a dynastic household. A manse to be specific. A manse is a magical structure designed to channel essence [the stuff the world is made of] into an artifact known as a hearthstone. The bearer of this hearthstone can draw essence from it and activate powers unique to the stone.
Each manse, and therefore its hearthstone, is attuned to an element.
Your family manse is attuned to-?

1: Earth
2: Water
3: Fire
4: Air
5: Wood
6: Heaven
7: War
8: Travel
9: The stars

Your family itself has usually taken charge of certain tasks for your clan. These are-? [Choose two or three]

1: Diplomacy with the local deities
2: Defense of the homeland
3: Manufacture
4: Espionage
5: Diplomacy with other clans
6: Monastic pursuits

Your family has enemies, they are-?

1: Another family in the clan, we do not war openly, but our rivalry has smoldered for centuries, and we constantly seek to outdo the other
2: A deity we once offended
3: A fae prince who delights in our suffering
4: The immaculate order suspects us of some heresy
5: The common folk despise us

Your family has strong allies, they are-?

1: Another family in the clan, our bond of friendship has lasted for centuries, and we constantly support the other in all things
2: A deity we have appeased
3: A fae prince who owes us a debt
4: We have strong ties to the immaculate order, our faith is unquestionable
5: The common folk adore us

You have an ally do you not?

1: Yes, a local deity is a personal friend of mine
2: Yes, our clan leader considers me his heir
3: Yes, a fae prince owes me a debt
4: I have a mentor from the immaculate order
5: I have many commoners as my friends

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Will this still make sense to me if I don't know the original thingie?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »

Most likely yes. I'm going to explain new concepts as they turn up and I'm going to keep it as simple as possible. Dice will be involved at a later date but I will handle the rolling of them and I'll keep track of the numbers, you guys will just have to pick what seems cool to you :]
The actual game has unbelievable complicated rules that I don't even understand, so I'm going to use a very basic rulebook that I've come up with that lets most of the same stuff happen but without 90% of the text walls.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:40 PM »

In that case I'm in :)

So...
1 and 5

I think that makes sense :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »

Rightio then!

If we go with your vote then it will play out as follows.

Your family manse is a relic of the past; a first age research outpost for monitoring the astral sea. The ancient magitek of the facility is monitored by a small group of mortal thaumaturges and acolytes who wish to scry the future from its eldritch workings. This foreknowledge aids your family in their role, that being communing with other clans, both friend and enemy, and the even more uncertain task of communing with the gods. This task has never been aided by your rivals, another family within the clan. While you do not seek each others destruction your roles overlap in an unpleasant way. You are both tasked with communing with the divine and the diplomatic, but your rival family is decidedly more.... Brutish, in their methodology. Your more diplomatic method has earned you a friend however, a local deity, the god of punching, has taken a shine to you from a young age. You have rarely if ever met him, but he seems to have selected you as a sort of priest of his.
That is to say that you have always been excellent at punching.
You also seem to have found favor with his child, a deity of stone, but regardless of your families jeering, you are NOT romantically involved. In fact according to the Immaculate order that is blasphemous, any demigod child would be ostracized, possibly even killed.
Although you have heard the rumors of a camp of half bloods....
Besides all that, there is a last secret weapon of yours.
Once long ago, a member of your family forced one of the fae to swear his hearts grace to them [very complicated, will explain later]. You've met the fairy a few times, and it seems always eager to help.
But no dynast lived long by trusting the fae.

Let me know if any of you want to vote for something different, in the meantime, lets move on to backgrounds. They're basically what the name implies, background information about your character. They won't be that important at first, but I'll just tell you the ones you have points in so far.

Btw, they are ranked from one to five. One in resources = anything from being a peasant to a merchant. You have enough. Two in resources is anything from being a wealthy merchant to a noble. Three is exorbitant wealth.

Your backgrounds [at present]

Allies= 2 [Your personal allies are the god of punching and his daughter]
Artifact= 1 [Your family manse has very little spare magitek lying around, other than the hearthstone itself]
Backing= 2 [This is a measure of your importance in an organisation. You are a dynastic heir, not an exalted, but fairly important]
Contacts= 3 [You're on occasional speaking terms with a god and your family has their own network of diplomatic contacts. As a family of diplomats, this is one of your strong suits]
Influence= 1 [You have no real part in the family business yet, and besides telling a servant to get you a drink or telling a peasant to give you his seat you can't order any one around]
Manse= 3 [Your family manse is comparable to a magical Downton abbey as it is Tier 3. Tier one would be about the size of a church and its grounds. Tier two would be more like a cathedral with housing built in. Tier 3 is a mansion with servants, stables etc]
Resources= 2 [Your family provides for everything you need and a few things that you don't, but they have mouths to feed and palms to fill with coin. They'll pay your bail if you get in trouble, but they won't buy you a chariot]

All in all there is very little you are lacking in. Now, I know this is a pretty big text wall, but don't worry about these numbers, I'm going to handle them, this is just so that you know :]

Next-

You have received an extensive education. But you know that you'd never have made it this far in your schooling without the help of-

1: You studied with the monks that maintain your family manse. Their wisdom has guided you ever since.

2: You trained with your brother and sister, the twins have always been more energetic than you but that only served to inspire you in your studies.

3: You were taught by crotchety old friends of your father. They were odd, almost as odd as their training techniques, but they were excellent teachers.

4: You were trained by the leader of your clan, he was merciless and had the highest of expectations but his wisdom and combat expertise are unparalleled.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:11:49 PM by GentlemanBesly »

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 02:27:25 AM »

Well that's a lot of text XD I think I got it, though. I'm going with 3.

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

Okie dokey then!

Your body flowed from one movement to the next as you wrote the kata into the air with your limbs. Every twist and thrust was as measured and deliberate as a calligraphists pen. You twisted, rose on on foot, snapped your leg out and fell to the ground in white hot agony.
You moaned and grabbed at your leg.

"Are you dead?" Master Bai yelled.
"No master!" You called. "But I don't think a leg is meant to bend that way!"
Master Bingwen snorted. "And I don't think that you're going to exalt by letting your body tell you what you are capable of!"
They each took a long drag of smoke from the hookah they were sharing.
A small boy to his left fought to hold back a cough,his sister obviously holds her breath as the pungent smoke blows by. You can never remember the names of those two particular cousins, but their nanny has insisted that they see regular demonstrations of quality kata, and you're the best example for miles.

"AGAIN!" Bingweng snapped.
"Inside voice" Bai said softly.

You lifted yourself to your feet. You moved into the first phase of the kata for what felt like the millionth time.
Your leg screamed in protest and you fell to your knees.

You don't know how long you stayed down, but you remember the disappointed sighs and the shuffling of feet as your masters left you cowering on the courtyard stones.

And then,

You get back up.

You start again, arms and legs snapping back and forth like shutters in a hurricane, feet slapping the paving stones and raising clouds of dust as you move, in must be your imagination but you almost feel as though your movements are directing it. The pain in your leg grows, spreading from limb to limb like burning oil. You reach the stage where you failed last.
Your leg lances straight up, twisting and carrying you with its momentum as your entire body twists once through the air.
Your feet hit the ground and the pain ignites, becoming a pure white inferno that blasts from your feet and into the earth around you, you throw your head back and roar into the sky as a wall of dust slams into the courtyard walls.

You look down, panting, there is a pale, clean white light coming from something, you look at your hand, it's coming from you.
Paving stones have lifted from the ground and are spinning lazily a few feet into the air, a cloud of dust particles have frozen in place above your skin.

"Shit."

You turn and see master Bai shaking his head in disbelief. He turns to master Bingwen, "I guess I owe you five jade."

You wake up.

It has been six months since that day, since the dragons chose you.
Since then, your training intensified beyond belief, the physically impossible became a warm up. Your masters focused on combat mainly. Especially in the field of- [choose two]

1: Fighting with my bare hands, I can leap over houses and shatter brick walls on an open palm. [best for controlling your element]
2: Fighting with a sword, I can strike arrows from the air and write my name on an enemy's skin. [best for lethal damage]
3: Fighting with a bo staff. [Best for defence]
4: Fighting with a bow, no foe can outrun my arrows [long range mundane lethal damage]
5: Fighting with an essence cannon [short to medium range lethal damage]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:51:35 PM by GentlemanBesly »

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »

Do you know if anyone else was interested in doing this? Because at this point in an RPG I pretty much always pick the same thing but I wouldn't want to mess it up for anyone else who'd want to pick another thing :P

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

I really hope some more people join it  :-\ In the mean time, just post your choice and I'll see if anyone else wants in.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »

In that case one and four.
I hope more people join too.

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

On the off chance that they don't, I would totally approve of writing for a bowman who beats swordsmen to death with his bare hands :D

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »

Cool XD I really do hope someone else shows up, though. *waits*

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »

*Dies waiting X[*

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »

A truly interesting concept, dear Besly. I've thought long and hard, and I'll play a 3 in this little game. Defense is better than offense in my mind. Tell me if I misunderstood something, this is quite a lot of text for even an omniscient caboose such as me to understand to the fullest.
pull the trigger, piglet,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 129