Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: publishing tips???  (Read 2416 times)

any.aspiringwriter

publishing tips???
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

So I just finished reading Afterworlds and it was the most interesting style of book I've ever read, what with the two storylines and being able to follow Darcy's rewriting process.
[As my username suggests] I really want to be a writer. I haven't tried publishing yet, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it's true that they only read the first chapter of your book when they're deciding if they want to publish you???

If so, I'd better start vamping up my first chapters!

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: publishing tips???
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »

How much they read depends on the person. You write a query letter, and they always read that, and sometimes they ask for early pages (I've seen between five and fifty when they ask for them at all) and sometimes a synopsis. Also, I think a lot of publishers don't actually accept direct queries, they just accept agents. But as far as I can tell the querying process is very similar with agents and publishers.
And welcome to the forum! :D
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

zaynispart

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »

It's a great read The more you get to know me more.

memeke89

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:28:03 PM »

To add onto the request for tips, where exactly would one submit a query letter? Directly to a publishing house? Directly to an agent? And how does one find an agent? To be honest, other than a query letter, I have no clue how to start publishing my own novel. Research online tells me the how, but it doesn'the tell me the where. Thank you for the help!