Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Afterworlds & cultural appropriation  (Read 703 times)

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Afterworlds & cultural appropriation
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »

Now, I like seeing authors do research for their stories which I think Westerfeld does a good job with it and I like how he brought up the subject in Darcy's side of the story with how she was questioning whether or not it would be considered by her readers that she was  using Hindu mythology  for fun without giving it any sort respect and understanding because even though she is Indian she not a devout Hindu  and wasn't heavily raised that way religiously.

Would you consider what Darcy is doing cultural appropriation? Why or why not?

Do you think that there is any cultural appropriation in novelsor other media today?

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Re: Afterworlds & cultural appropriation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »

Adding a post in case the forum does that thing again.

Catvomitsky

• and I still feel - kind of temporary about myself
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »

I don't think it's cultural appropriation unless it would be considered offensive to Hindus to use the image of their god that way. She created a world based on Hindu mythology, and didn't try to pass it off as anything more than that. Her concern is understandable, but ultimately I don't think she did anything wrong.
"Things end. That's all. Everything ends and it's always sad, but everything begins again, too. And that's always happy. Be happy."

aimeusdietger

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »

Seeing as she is Indian I would believe that she understands what would pass as offensive to the Hindu religion hence I do not see a bit of humour as cultural appropriation. Cultural appropriation or misappropriation often occurs when an outsider tries to mimic the behaviours, language, and way of life of another community. It always comes off as offensive.