Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Transgender people  (Read 4401 times)

thematthewad

Transgender people
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »

How do they deal with transgender people? In the surgery, do their bodies get made to be their true gender? (For instance, a female to male trans person would be made physically male.) Or, would their brains be changed to match their physical sex? (For instance, a female to male trans person would have their brain turned female to match their sex.)

I doubt this has been addressed in any of the books, but I just started the Pretties today, so what would I know?
With that in mind, can we maybe avoid spoilers here?

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Transgender people
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »

...huh. That is actually a really good question. I never thought about that. Uh...I'd guess that at least with the initial surgery, they wouldn't get to have a sex change, but maybe if they asked later they could? I'm saying that mainly because they didn't really get to choose anything about the first one, but then they could get surges. Maybe they'd make an exception for trans people, though. Changing their brains to match their bodies might be easier as far as the actual surgery might be easier for them, but it might make it a little too obvious they're doing brain surgeries along with physical ones. I like this question. This is a fun question to think about.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »

This is really interesting, and something that would be really cool to hear about (question for Scott at the next meetup, if and when he gets back to me on that, maybe??)

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:15:49 AM »

I'm with Eraisuithiel on that one, you should ask Scott.

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:08:24 PM »

Honestly, I think they probably would. After all, zero gender disphoria makes for a happier citizen of New Pretty Town and onwards!
pull the trigger, piglet,

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »

But that doesn't stop them from screwing with the person's brain a little more to make it match their body instead of the other way around :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:38:41 AM »

^^ sadly enough, I think that's the way they'd go about things. I can see them just using lesions to stop disphoria and 'trans thoughts' (my wording sounds REALLY bad but y'all know what I mean). At least, that's how I see it working in Tally's city. I'd like to think that it would be different in other places, but who knows?

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »

I agree that Pan's original comment makes sense. A lot of sense, actually. They'd probably change the person's dysphoria as opposed to their body so transitioning wouldn't pose a problem, then erase negative feelings/memories so the person isn't unhappy..There might be exceptions, but that's how I think the process would  mostl likelynormally go.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »

How do they deal with transgender people? In the surgery, do their bodies get made to be their true gender? (For instance, a female to male trans person would be made physically male.) Or, would their brains be changed to match their physical sex? (For instance, a female to male trans person would have their brain turned female to match their sex.)

I doubt this has been addressed in any of the books, but I just started the Pretties today, so what would I know?
With that in mind, can we maybe avoid spoilers here?

If I had to guess, when they do the surgery, they run tests on the person for anything like that and burn the appropriate parts of their brain out with a laser. Like the lesions except completely permanent.
Lets be honest, can you imagine the amount of trouble that a trans person could cause to a place like New Pretty Town? Hell, maybe that's one of Special Circumstances other jobs...finding trans uglies and "fixing" them. I have no doubt that they're capable of doing so.
They might do the same to homosexuals and the entire spectrum of sexualities for that matter.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »

I think it's stated in canon that the surgery eliminates any same sex attraction

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »

Does it? Peris seems pretty gay to me...but then again its never explicitly stated.
I need to re-read the books again.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 01:39:26 PM »

Peris didn't seem gay to me at all. He just seemed like a character that had strange taste in friends, (I have a theory he was only friends with Tally, because he felt bad that she was going to be left all alone cuz of her b-day being so late.)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »

Yeah, Peris didn't seem gay to me either. Just because he wasn't in love with Tally doesn't mean that he's gay (unless you were referring to something else...?)

Yone

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 12:34:32 AM »

I don't think they erase every non-straigh sexuall leanings at the operation, even if they would be no doubt capaple of doing so. Because Tally and the others wonder about how silly it is that the Rusties treated woman as less worth and discriminate people just because there ethnicity, and it just seems wrong to me that they are so liberal about that now but erase LBGT-sexuallity.

And I don't picture Peris as gay, but my headcanon is that Fausto and Ho are a couple.
,,Do you understand, liberty tends to dystroy things"(Tally Youngblood)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »

I think they do so out of convenience and a want for uniformity, not out of discrimination. They pretty much erased all visible ethnic differences between people, so it would make sense for them to do the same with sexual orientation.
Pages: [1] 2