Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Missed Chance at Alternate History?  (Read 858 times)

Kaiser Sobek

Missed Chance at Alternate History?
« on: September 05, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »

Although I loved the Leviathan Series, for it's historical and steampunk setting, I felt that it missed a great chance to develop some Alternate History. With a few obvious exceptions the story of Leviathan paralleled real life history, and I feel more could have been done to diverge from that track. I for one would have found a war being one by the Central Powers would have added a lot more to engage the us the readers. WWI, at least in our universe, was much less Black and White than most people like to think. At it's core the war was Great Empire(s) vs Great Empire(s), and having the Triple Entente lose isn't THAT large of a stretch. What's your guy's opinion on the subject?
This new era of unprecedented technological progress, doubts will be cast on certainties that have stood since time immemorial. Far away, across the briny foam, the riches of Asia and Africa beckon. Maestro, choose your instrument, and let the music play.

Chairlegs

• Pet Peeves? Why would you keep a Peeve as a pet?
Re: Missed Chance at Alternate History?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »

you are brilliant
that is my opinion
Yolo? NO! You live every day
The correct term is YODO. You.Only.Die.Once
Make sure that never happens

Kaiser Sobek

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »

you are brilliant
that is my opinion

Oh you!  ;)
This new era of unprecedented technological progress, doubts will be cast on certainties that have stood since time immemorial. Far away, across the briny foam, the riches of Asia and Africa beckon. Maestro, choose your instrument, and let the music play.

Chairlegs

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »

But honestly
If Scott SOMEHOW continued the series
he could probably drag another few characters from different countries
in a fan fic that I am writing there is an Australian with a beastie
so who knows?
I think it is possible.
But as far as changing the course of the history timeline
Germany failing and all that jazz
I don't think that anybody can alter that
even Scott.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »

Or maybe just not a war? If he wrote something like Airborn or something, just pulp adventures in his world I would be SO happy.

ALSO WELCOME NEW PERSON HI!

Hiss.

Leviafan

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 04:49:32 AM »

you are brilliant
that is my opinion
I MUST agree.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:17:48 AM »

Although I loved the Leviathan Series, for it's historical and steampunk setting, I felt that it missed a great chance to develop some Alternate History. With a few obvious exceptions the story of Leviathan paralleled real life history, and I feel more could have been done to diverge from that track. I for one would have found a war being one by the Central Powers would have added a lot more to engage the us the readers. WWI, at least in our universe, was much less Black and White than most people like to think. At it's core the war was Great Empire(s) vs Great Empire(s), and having the Triple Entente lose isn't THAT large of a stretch. What's your guy's opinion on the subject?

I wouldn't have minded seeing things go a bit different. Perhaps not won by the Clankers (lets face it; machines will never, EVER beat biology), but thing getting bad enough that the enterance of America into the fight earlier than in our world would make a much larger impact on everything.
Some more delving into alternative combat would be nice too. Mostly its just machines vs. machines, with a few air battles...I was hoping to see like, land-spiders eating Clanker soldiers whole.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Chairlegs

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »

(lets face it; machines will never, EVER beat biology)

I dunno
You can shoot a dog
But you can't stab a machine