Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Zeroes Spoiler Thread  (Read 4321 times)

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Zeroes Spoiler Thread
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »

Since I'm a little over halfway through Zeroes I thought I'd make this thread.

I'm surprised how dark and mature it is.

Not that the majority of Westerfeld's books aren't happy-go-lucky, but Krokodill drug dealers?
My sister, who is an intensive care unit has told me stories of her co-workers who had patients who had gotten high off of that and went into a destructive, mad, zombie-like state who didn't remember anything when the drug war off..

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Zeroes Spoiler Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »

Yeeaaaaaah .-. I really don't know what to say about that. But yeah.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »

a l r i g h t, necroposting, whatev, can we pls aknowledge the fact that Swarm kept a digital murder diary??? or something??? and it was never aknowledged or explained??? like after Kelsie broke his phone or whatever that was just that and no one ever talked about it again???? am i the only one who found that super weird???
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »

Wait what? I do not remember this :o

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »

yeah when he confronted Kels that night she had that sleepover with Chizara, he was doing a video diary on his phone (I think? it was kinda unclear), it was super easy to miss because it only happened for like a paragraph and then Kelsie took his phone, but it was still p weird
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:35:23 AM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:08 AM »

I'll have to go back and reread that. Maybe they purposely included it and it will be a Chekhov's Gun type thing
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekovsGun

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »

most likely, but still kinda funny

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »

Speaking of which, can we talking about how creepy Swarm was?? Like, damn that got dark, even compared to the first book.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »

oh god yes, he was so so scary, but i also really liked him because he was probably the worst villian they could have written for the zeroes to face off against. like he represents everything that they're afraid of, and it was s o  c o o l to see how they dealt with it. but yes he definetly was real fucking creepy

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »

I like how they made him just a really messed-up-in-the-head kid instead of a villain with actual goals because he represented what any of them could become.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »

yes! exactly that! since book 1 a lot of the characters have been grappling with the fact that they could become super evil in like, no time at all, and to be presented with someone exactly like them who did exactly that was really freaking cool to read

actually, while we're at it, what was ur opinion on Ren and Davey? i don't really know what to think about those guys

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »

Yeah, me neither. I think Coin's (forgot which one he is tbh) powers were a little confusing and underutilized, something about the characters kind of seemed.. off to me though? I'm not sure how to explain it

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »

Coin = Davey, yyeeeeah it seemed like they were trying to set those two up as if their powers where flips of each other, but without actual first hand explanations of how the powers work (like with the other characters) it was kinda confusing. i hope that Ren (aka Glitch) shows up in the next book , cuz i kinda don't wanna have that loose end floating around and driving me crazy.

idk u could try to explain it if u wanted? im curious now

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »

Yeah, maybe she'll show up in the big showdown of Zeroes powers. That is, if she's not dead...

It's been awhile since I read the book so it's hard to articulate my thoughts since I barely remember them but they seemed kind of underdeveloped as far as their motivations went, like their actions seemed a little too over the top to be realistic I guess?

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »

i can see that being an issue, in the book their motivations were basically just "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they're kinda dicks and also about to die ¯\_(ツ)_/¯", which isn't particularly satisfying, but not too unusual for a bunch of asshole teenagers imo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11