Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Zeroes Spoiler Thread  (Read 4317 times)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Re: Zeroes Spoiler Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »

True, but those characters should have more motivation than just being asshole teenagers given that the six main characters are also asshole teenagers

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »

ye tru, and the six do still have well developed motivations even tho half of them don't want anything to do with the plot unless their literally forced to take part, so i guess Ren and Davey look kinda shallow in comparison
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »

Yeah, my main issue with R & D is that they were introduced only to further the plot but not really developed as characters

Which three want to be involved with the plot? :P

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »

tru, that could be fixed in this next book tho, we'll see

Nate, in his own weird scewed way, and to some extent Kelsie and Flicker, although Kelsie only because she has Emotional Connections to the conflicts in both books and Flicker is kinda just... along for the ride i guess, at least the way i read it
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:37:24 AM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

Flicker just wants to help her friends, what a sweet summer child

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »

a sweet vaguely stalkerish child who's very existence is a privacy invasion, and who may or may not have some issues to work out, but yeah tru

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »

a sweet vaguely stalkerish child who's very existence is a privacy invasion
Professor X in a nutshell. Or basically any telepathic character

True, but Flicker is probably the least messed up out of all of them. She has a family that supports her, powers that actually help her (even if they can lead to stalkerish tendencies), and no deep-rooted psychotic, manipulative, or sadistic tendencies that we know of

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »

o yeah definetly the most well adjusted character, that's not saying much but yeah.

after reading Zeroes i thought she was gonna take a bit of a turn and be more chaotic nuetral as the series progressed because 1) stalkerish tendencies, even in a circumstance where the guy expressly didn't want to be stalked (even tho it turned out ok), and 2) she's friends with Nate, like actual geniune friends, and that has to rub off on you in some way, or at least influence your thinking a bit. but then Swarm happened and she did the opposite of that, so now i don't know what to believe

i was actually really suprised by her in swarm. in book one she was established as a really smart, slightly devious, but well meaning character who knew she seemed sweet and innocent and used that fact to her advantage, but then in swarm she turned out to be actually just sweet and innocent, with no hints of her previous deviousness. maybe im just reading too much into it, idk

does this make sense? no, probably not
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:41:08 PM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »

Yes it does make total sense, and I actually agree that the darker elements of her personality (i.e. being stalkerish, being willing to go along with Nate's manipulativeness) weren't explored as much as they could've been. But I understand why; Swarm had Kelsie, Chizara, and Nate to explore the dark sides of, and adding Flicker to the mix would've made for cluttered character arcs. Plus, they needed a foil in Flicker. I think most characters like that aren't only "bad" depending on the circumstance, maybe we'll see more if that side of her in the third book.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:41 AM »

idk, i think that exploring the darker sides of the characters in kinda like, the point of the the book. every character had their moments in Swarm where they were faced with the fact that they're Kinda Creepy, except for Flicker, even tho the setup was already there for her. personally it would have been more fulfilling if she had gotten in on that action too, while still being able to be a ray of sunshine

i agree with u the last part tho. she's only shady in certian circumstances, i.e. when the situation calls for shadiness. Nexus is almost certantly gonna have situations where shadiness is necessary, so im holding out hope

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »

That's true, but I think the focus was more on the developing creepiness of Kelsie (because of Swarm), Chizara, and to an extent Nate. The first book focused more on Ethan and Anon's problems which were carried out in the second book. So that leaves the third one to explore Flicker and continue Nate's budding character arc. I agree that they should've at least had some of Flicker's internal conflict show up in Swarm though.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

tru i suppose

i just realized that i can't wait to see how much Ethan's powers fuck shit up in the beginning of the book, cuz like... thats how all the plot in this series starts

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »

I really wonder what they're gonna do with Ethan in the next book. Everything seems to be leading up to him being pivotal.

Ok but, do you think they're gonna kill off one of the main 6? I honestly think they might

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »

that's true, which is Kinda Concerning given Ethans... everything... don't get me wrong i love the guy he's just Very Unreliable

if they do i think it's either gonna be Anon or Nate. Nate has the whole "i'd do anything for the team" thing going on, and Anon has worried enough about his own death that i'm starting to get a bit concerned for him cuz Foreshadowing. although, i really hope they don't, because i feel like if they did it would just be a waste of a perfectly good character. like, i really want to see all these characters struggle and have a hard time and be miserable, but i also want to see them come out on the other side, y'know? that would be really nice and uplifting. (also they absolutely can't kill of Kelsie or Chizara, come on guys don't kill another lesbian), idk hbu?

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2017, 10:59:44 AM »

Yeah I love Ethan but he really concerns me. Has the guy ever made a good decision in his life?

I don't think they'll kill off Anon for precisely that reason. The death metaphor from Swarm would be too apt. I agree that they could kill off Nate (the most likely option, imo) because he definitely would sacrifice himself for the team. It could show him the consequences of being in charge and show his growth from a manipulative leader to a selfless one. They could also kill off Kelsie or Ethan, just because they both make the type of decisions that could get them killed, and they're definitely the characters the plot revolves around the most. I can't see Flicker or Chizara getting killed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11