Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Zeroes Spoiler Thread  (Read 4297 times)

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Zeroes Spoiler Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

yeah that's basically Ethan in a nutshell. he's my favorite character for that exact reason, he such a fuck up, and sometimes it isn't even his fault, but he without fail makes every situation worse. there's just so much going on with him, and i can't wait to see the resolution to his arc and find out how they tie up all his bullcrap. I really really hope he gets a happy ending, but i can totally see him getting killed off because he's so terrible at being a person.

Kelsie is... very reckless, and she's kinda terrible at self preservation, but im hoping that'll get cleared up during Nexus enough where she stops intentionally doing things that could kill her. I'm hoping that for both Kels and Ethan actually, because seeing them in a place where they can stop doing that fuckshit would be great. Actually, i hope that for all the characters. i just really want to see them be happy in the end is that too much to ask T.T
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:44:57 PM by ravenoid-ish »
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »

Yes to all of that!! Ethan's my fave too. And yes he is so bad at being a person lmao

Yes it is too much to ask, it's a YA trilogy so obviously at least one main character is gonna get offed

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »

The Craig sacrificed himself so that his weird terrible adopted superhero children can live. and actually im holding out hope, because so far every cliche that i thought was gonna happen in this book never happened (i mean, Ethan/Kelsie anyone? thank fuck that ship sunk), so maybe they can defy the needlessly sad cliche too

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »

The Craig ;-;

I don't think it's needlessly sad. Yeah, it can be badly executed, but in stories like these it's not realistic that every character lives when they're constantly being reckless and being exposed to highly dangerous situations. A character dying makes it realistic and therefore more narratively satisfying, and shows the consequences of the characters' recklessness and the impact of whatever conflict they're up against.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »

idk, i just think that all the characters r so well developed that killing them off would just be kinda disappointing. i mean i know whats kinda dumb, and sure there is something to be said about realism and consequences, but the reason i like these books so much is because of the characters. i want to see them go through hell, and go through their character arcs, and i don't think i like the idea of them returning to their status quos at the end of the series, but by the end of it all that i also want them to be able to move on with their lives. like they're such complex people and they've already gone through such terrible shit, but i want them to grow from it, not die from it

basically i just get overly attached

question: was I the only one who thought that Chizara/Nate would be endgame before Swarm happened? don't get me wrong, im super glad it didn't, but i figured that was where they were taking it. i srsly just wanna know if that was just me or not

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StatusQuoIsGod versus http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDevelopment
Of course I think they'll go with character development, because the entire point of the series is the characters and their arcs. But I honestly think at least one of the main character's path is gonna be http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DevelopingDoomedCharacters and that their death will be part of the larger plot thread that Zeroes need to use their powers responsibly. But who knows, really?

I more or less thought it was gonna be Flicker/Nate friendship to romance, Ethan/Anon friendship to intense emotional connection that helps Anon heal that got totally and unfairly dropped in Zeroes imo ngl I still kinda ship them from Zeroes, and Chizara/Kelsie Pair the Spares, which actually ended up happening

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »

yeeeaah i can see that, but i also don't wanna be sad so im just gonna live in denial

woah, u had way more hope then i did, i figured we were going for the cliched Kels/Ethan, Chizara/Nate, and Anon/Flicker because it was already established in Zeroes, needless to say im super glad i was wrong, now im... kinda tentativly thinking that Ethan/Nate is gonna happen because pair the spare, but eeeehhhhh idk how to feel about that, kinda iffy at best (this is why i think that one of them is gonna die, so we don't have to pair the spare)

i agree that the Ethan/Anon thing was weirdly dropped in Swarm, like they established it so well and then seemingly forgot it existed, which i can actually see happening on Ethan's end but you'd think Anon would have a bit more of an issue with it. although i think that Ethan is going to have a hand at getting people to remember Anon in book 3 after the whole Nothing debacle, so maybe it'll resurface then

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »

Tbh I want this last book to rip out my heart and tear it to pieces

I was actually really annoyed at how out-of-nowhere and rushed Kelsie and Ethan were, but by the end of the first book it seemed more like they were going for Ethan's infatuation and at most a will they/won't they than for a Kelsie/Ethan romance. I'm glad they didn't, although ngl I did think their emotional connection at the end of Zeroes + Ethan's failure at having a crush was kinda cute. Idk how I feel about Ethan/Nate, I don't think it's very likely to happen but now I kind of want to see it because now that I think of it I can totally see them redeeming and forgiving each other together?? As a bro pair or a couple. And yeah, I agree, although if either Ethan or Nate dies then the other is gonna be a fifth wheel to Kelsie/Chizara (if that even lasts) and Flicker/Anon.

YES, I WAS SO UPSET THAT THEY JUST DROPPED IT BECAUSE IT WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PARTS OF ZEROES TO READ. I think Ethan would be more likely to drop it just because of who he is as a fuck-up™, but Anon was the first Zero that wholeheartedly accepted him back and the connection seemed so genuine on both sides. It annoyed me how that was upstaged by the Anon/Flicker romance, which is sweet and all but was also kind of out of nowhere, at least compared with the circumstances that forged Anon and Ethan's bond. I hope you're right and they do bring that back in the third book when Ethan remembers Anon.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »

Ethan's persistant failure at having a crush was cute, until u remember that the kid's been socially isolating himself for at least a year, probably several more, and the fact that he had a crush at all and Didn't Know How To Handle it might be indicative of some sorta Yikes things about his life (of course this line of thinking just makes the sudden disappearance of Ethan/Anon brotp even weirder, because they were both really starved for connection and then it just stopped...lot of question marks about that actually now that i think about it, but im just gonna chalk it up to that thing in ya were Romantic Relationships > Platonic Ones For Some Reason)

yeah that's pretty much exactly my thoughts on Ethan/Nate, if it's done well then it'll be super cool, but if it's done badly then... it might as well not be done at all

and honestly all the romantic relationships in this series r kinda abrupt and weird? like once they get going they're really cute, but it's strange how they start, although to me this can be tied to the fact that the kids r kinda messed up

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »

Well Ethan did go on a date at the beginning of the series (that was how the whole mess started, he needed a ride home afterwards). Most everything in the series suggests that Ethan has a problem forming genuine emotional connections and not knowing how to handle them when they do arise, which is why I think the connection between Ethan and Anon was more genuine because both filled part of the void in each other's lives that had been missing. Still salty about how that got neglected.

I genuinely thought Ethan/Nate might happen for a split second because a successful connection and romance seems to be part of Ethan's character arc but then I remembered that him and Sonia Sonic are a thing. Ethan/Sonia is much better than Ethan/Kelsie since they actually have chemistry and it actually built (sorta) but now I'm kind of annoyed that it's happening >.>

Yes, I had the same thoughts but I didn't know how to explain it! I guess that's also part of the issue I had with Rhen and davey, they also seemed kinda abrupt and weird

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »

i agree, but the date thing kinda plays into all the Yikes stuff, because it's actually stated that he was 100% using the voice on the date, and the voice is kinda the source of all his isolation issues to begin with.

yeah im even more iffy about Ethan/Sonia then i am about Ethan/Nate. its the more obvious answer (and opens up even more room for Nate to die, ugh y do i do this to myself), but, again, i really don't want it to be all abupt and weird. and it seems like with Sonia there are more chances to be abrupt and weird. i mostly just ship sonia with her budding career as a social media star/investigative journalist. also im kinda attached to ethan/nate now that i've thought it through, uuuggghhhhh
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:50:19 PM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »

That's true :o Poor Ethan, the manipulative little creep

Ethan/Sonia didn't seem as abrupt to me as Ethan/Kelsie, Anon/Flicker, or Kelsie/Chizara, mainly because I'm shipping trash so I'm trained to catch subtle flirtation/potential for romance early on (maybe why I caught on to Kelsie/Chizara so early?). But it does have a lot of potential to be cliche and not further Ethan's growth as a person. I like Sonia's character, but I hope her and Ethan don't go any farther than harmless flirtation, as I too am now attached to Nate/Ethan. I made moodboards for both of their character that I forgot to post, maybe I'll make a ship mood board for them...

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »

bruh post em, those moodboards r really cool and im starved for That Zeroes Content

same for all of that, i guess Sonia/Ethan has the fact that it's been established for all three books going for it, but im just really eehhhh about it

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »

I too am starved for That Zeroes Content, which is why I'm making my own. I will post them as soon as I am done with my essay and have time to dig through my stash of saved pics

Same bruh, same

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

o shit good luck with the terrible summer essay
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11