Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Zeroes Spoiler Thread  (Read 19689 times)

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
Re: Zeroes Spoiler Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »

i don't actually remember, it was just generally eastern european, so probably yeah. also come on man we don't need to make Swarm even scarier

i mean like 9 months for us cuz we're in the USA, but yes im going to go into cardiac arrest from how excited i am its ridiculous, did u read the summary tho? cuz i wanna talk about some stuffs
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »

It says it's coming out in November? Does it have a later release date in the US?

YEAH I read it

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »

yeah i think its coming out in Novermber for Australia, but sometime in spring for us

ok some things that r actually kinda obvious but interesting
1) im like 75% sure that Kelsie's dad said that Kelsie's mom is living in New Orleans now, which means that she's definetly gonna have some plot importance
2) Nate is in solitary confinement, which makes complete sense, but that can't be good for him in any way
3) the climax takes place on Mardi Gras, and based on previous examples this probably means that the actual book doesn't start until two ish months after Swarm ended, which means that Nate's been in solitary confinement for two months, which is a long time
4) its says "Cambria 5", which means that not even the feds know about Anon's existence, could be a potential plot thing
5) the government has a Zero that works for them, which is also kinda predicatable but SUPER INTERESTING AAAAA
6) also sorta a given, but it's emphasized that the Zeroes have to learn to trust each other again, which like duh of course they do but im still really excited aaaahhhh

idk thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:40:26 AM by ravenoid-ish »
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2017, 10:20:31 AM »

What noooo I don't wanna wait til spring. Maybe I'll buy the ebook or something

1) I actually remember that now! Yeah that makes sense, hopefully Kelsie can stay with her and she doesn't pull a Sirius Black
2) They're not even allowed to put kids in solitary, they barely put adults in solitary, maybe they can make an exception for super-powered possibly-terrorists but what the heck man
5) I'm really interested to see how they pull that off, because if they know about the Zero powers then maybe they know where they came from, but on the other hand if they knew about the Zero powers then why do they think the Cambria 5 are terrorists and why didn't they do something about all this earlier. Maybe the government is involved with concealing the powers in some way?

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »

yyeeeaah

1) given this book's track record with Kelsie's parental figures i don't have much hope for this poor lady, but who knows
2) i mean yeah, but for security reasons it just makes sense doesn't it? and thats whats implied in the summary. i guess traumitizing him would kinda jumpstart his character arc but still like... Yikes
5) yeah i genuinly don't know where they're going with this. my original theory was the the govt/military actually caused the superpowers in the first place as apart of some risky ass science experiment, but you'd think an experiment like that would be a bit more controlled. idk, applying that theory then it's possible that this new Zero was the sort of outcome that the government wanted, maybe they were easier to track once their powers were displayed and way less rowby then Swarm or the Cambria 5

also, really wondering what's up with this Mardi Gras thing in general. I feel like Sonia and her group pointing it out is the only reason that any of the Zeroes take notice of it, like a self fulfilling prophecy. of course, that begs the question why the zeroes want to go there at all, since that seems like the type of thing they'd want to avoid unless they intentionally want to start some shit. I'm thinking that Ren has something to do with this actually, like maybe she was spotted in New Orleans making threats and the zeroes want to try to stop her from going batshit... again. thats basically the exact plot of Swarm i suppose, hmm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:16:44 AM by ravenoid-ish »
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »

5) Maybe that Zero voluntarily agreed to help the military, or they were doing something super illegal and the government decided to recruit them instead of locking them up

Hmm, the Sonia theory is pretty likely imo. Or maybe the government/the Cambria 5/some other Zeroes are using it to attract more Zeroes, like a Zeroes trap

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »

also tru. now im wondering if the new guy has something to do with that one congressman. like, if they are the first Zero the govt came into contact with, then it's possible that everything the govt knows about zeroes is from them, and maybe that's why the congressman wanted to start the crowd hysteria thing

yeah, but in that case the Cambria 5/6 have to be the ones setting the trap, otherwise going to New Orleans would be really stupid of them. actually, if the Sonia thing is true, then any zero being in New Orleans at all is really stupid, because the government is obviously going to focus all their attention there. kinda makes me worry if this is some kind of last stand for the Cambria 5/6, like they figured they have nothing else to lose so they might as well do somthing big. which would draw some interesting parallels between them and Ren and Davey, and also be an interesting juxtaposition with how their main goal before was to hide their powers
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:30:47 AM by ravenoid-ish »
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »

Hmm, that raises a lot of questions as to what this mystery Zero's power is. They said it was "different" but I assume it's still crowd based?

Maybe they would got to either stop whoever is setting the trap (kinda like you said in your earlier post), or they could be going to meet the other Zeroes regardless if they know it's a trap or not, or maybe they go to bargain with or rescue someone. Now I'm really curious to read about the actual reason :0

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2017, 11:44:14 AM »

honestly with the way these powers r set up who even knows. maybe it'll have something to do with tracking? that would be really useful to the govt. also would give nate some interesting codename opportunities

yeah dude same, im so hyped, its insane
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »

Honestly though can we please talk about Nate apparently being in solitary? Whoever would do that to a 17-year-old is sick. There isn't any conclusive evidence that he's a terrorist, or for that matter that he even committed the murder, since he didn't actually commit the murder. Plus like, that murder could reasonably be justified as self-defense even if Nate didn't tell them the full story. For Nate to actually volunteer to go through that, even for 2 months (although for all he knew when he got into it, it could've ended up being a lot longer) is some serious martyrdom right there. That + the guilt + the solitary + not being able to use his powers for months must really be messing him up. Poor Nate :(

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »

my thoughts exactly. what makes it worse is that he had to have known that being detained probably wasn't going to end well for him. based on what he and the zeroes planned for Swarm, he probably thought that the govt would either kill him or isolate him for the rest of his life if they knew anything about his powers. and, since it's Nate, i feel like he also figured that just killing him would be the more likely option. kinda makes u wonder what he's gonna be like once the others break him out

and actually, the fact that they have to break him out (hopefully) in the beginning of the book is an interesting parellel between him and Ethan in the first book. since this series is so obsessed with opposites, i wonder if that stucture might lend itself to helping us predict what might happen with the characters in the rest of the book. assuming that each character switches rolls with their foil, because Nate and Ethan were kinda set up as foils at least from a personality standpoint, then Chizara might switch with Kelsie and Anon with Flicker. ugh, does that make any sense? im definetly reading too mugh into this
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »

I mean the usual formula for these kinds of situations is that the person is a little unhinged, starved for human contact, probably willing to go to extremes to make sure they don't have to go back. Unless the realistic psychological effects are ignored, which I really hope they don't do. This series hasn't shied away from the darker aspects of the characters so far though.

NO THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE although I wouldn't necessarily say that Flicker and Anon are foils, I'd say Flicker works well with everyone and Anon is kind of a second foil to Nate. But yeah wow I love parallels in fiction and you pointing that out with Nate and Ethan is making me all sorts of hyped. Especially with that Nate/Ethan pair the spare sort of thing we got going, since Flicker and Anon are a unit (minus Anon now, yikes) and Chizara and Kelsie are a (dysfunctional) unit, maybe Ethan will be the one insisting that they go back for Nate, idk if any of this made any sense

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »

well we did have Kelsie's ptsd, and i don't actually know enough about the real life effects of ptsd to know if that was portrayed realistically, but i don't think this series is gonna shy away from portraying that period even if they fall behind in the actual realism department

well i guess the characters think that their s/o's r foils. both Anon and Chizara thought of Flicker and Kelsie respectivly as their opposites, and in this series what the characters think kinda overrides actual narrative reality (see: the continuing lore clusterfuck). and since now im kinda into this weird theory, then based on zeroes it suggests that:
Kelsie: might unintentionally harm a minor character and have to deal with the guilt, this ties into what already happened in Swarm with Fig
Chizara: family member might die, which i do not like because the Okekes were rlly cute, maybe she'll have to make a lot of personal sacrifices in general cuz that seemed to happen a lot with Kels in book 1
Anon: idk what did Flicker even do in book 1 idr
Flicker: might be forced to own up to the fact that her powers r creepy and have adverse effects on people, like Anon did multiple times in Zeroes, which i do like a lot
Ethan: also unclear on exactly what Nate did in book 1, may suggest that he has a bit more of a hand in group decision making, which makes sense for his character arc
Nate: prison, duh, potentially has to own up to all the mistakes he made and make amends for them since that kinda came up with ethan in book 1

this is a thinly veiled excuse to justify all the things that i want to see happen uh idk, anything else im missing? anything else in general?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:13:24 PM by ravenoid-ish »
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »

It seemed realistic to me since a lot of people I know who have had rough childhoods or have PTSD act, like the emotional distance and all that, but I don't have any personal experience whatsoever so I can't really say BUT the way this series is written feels very raw and genuine so points for that if nothing else

Hmm, I don't remember Anon ever saying that Flicker was his opposite, but I guess it fits with the pattern. But I can definitely see that happening with Kelsie - it would make no sense based on what happened with Swarm for her to NOT hurt anyone. Flicker in book one basically just helped Anon out from The Void and generally helped everyone I guess, just by virtue of being the Only Sane Man. I'm totally down for all of that to happen except for Chizara's family dying though. I really want to see Leader!Ethan

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »

Yeah this series is nothing if not emotional, so i seriously doubt they'd brush past something like this

I think that Anon mostly though of Flick as his opposite in the context of their powers, i don't remember the exact situation but I'm p sure it was a thing at some point. I'm kinda reaching and this is all 100% conjecture, but it's conjecture that makes sense when applied to their character arcs. I also realized that Flicker "found" Anon in book 1, like literally, so now Anon has to pick up the slack and find his own goddamn self, like in some incredibly fucked up mental Where's Waldo, and that was a really funny thought to me at 2:30 in the morning

Yeah idk how to feel about Ethan in a leadership roll because on one hand the voice would lend itself really well to that kind of position, and on the other hand the voice could also fuck everything up incredibly easily and also he has exactly zero actual leadership skills. It would be fun to see tho. He would be great in like, an advisor roll tho, which brings up some interesting thoughts on a potential dynamic with him and Nate, or whoever takes the helm with the Cambria 5 when theyre on the run (my money's on Flicker). Could be the spring board that helps him officially reconnect with the group
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:11:19 PM by ravenoid-ish »
BOTTOM TEXT
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11