Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Are there people of colour in Uglies/Pretties/Specials?  (Read 1403 times)

Tae-La

Are there people of colour in Uglies/Pretties/Specials?
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:24:59 AM »

something i've been wondering, are there non-white people in the uglies universe? i mean ofcourse there must be right? but it just makes me curious as race has been "eliminated" in pretties, did they just mash all races together? are non-white races still born as uglies? do they get turned into the basic pretties skintone(olive and lighter than a special's skintone if i remember correctly)? I mean as far as I can tell all pretties stay within a certain range of colour for hair and skin, zane DID have to dye his hair black with ink to get it that colour as the committee wouldn't allow it. I mean this is just tally's city that i know of. Aya Fuse lives in Japan and the area and people around her seem to have asian influence at the very least, and ARE asian at most.

Or is this just so far in the future all races naturally became visually similar? idk it's a thing i need to know xD
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:37:36 AM by Tae-La »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Re: Are there people of colour in Uglies/Pretties/Specials?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »

Whatever race you're born as, at least in Tally's city, you get turned Pretty. I don't think they have much concept of race, except for pretty and ugly (and special). And since all pretties look more or less similar, there'd be no reason for races not to intermix, leaving the children as a fairly even mix of white and whatever other races are preedominant in their area.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:15:52 AM »

I kind of figured the same thing as Cat, that there was a lot of mixing of races and that the pretties were all pretty close to the same skin tone. And in Aya's city, I kind of assumed that most of them were Japanese. Since they're in Japan and up until the mind rain there wasn't exactly a whole lot of long-distance travel.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Yone

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »

I don't think that there are no black people anymore, but I imagine that the people simply don't think anymore in termes of race, only at the catigorys ugly, new pretty, middle pretty, old pretty (and perhaps special). There will also be much more mixed children because of globalisation, because the can travel much faster than today and also because ones ethnicity is'nt important anymore. I think the pretties look neverthless more or less the same. Look at a afro-american supermodel, a white and an asian. You can clearly see wich ethnicity they have, but there faces and bodys even more will look allmost the same neverthless.
But this with the skintone don't fits to my theory. Maybe it means that they don't will make someone who is white as an ugly - like Zane - to a black person as pretty? And even if you are black as an ugly, your skintone will only be maybe chocolatebrown, but not darker. I have the headcanon that the citys have slighly different devitations based on the average skineton there citzen would have if the would have the same ton like as uglies. These devitations are only in scale of what the Pretty Comite allowed. So the average skinton pretties get at a african town will be darker than the one of a german city.
Apropos, I had a discussion on youtube in wich some people said that they imagine Tally as beeing black. I don't have that headcanon, but I like the idea very much. Its written that she has frizzy black hair and dull brown eyes as a ugly, so it could be, after all.
But I imagine Ho and David as black, Shay and Fausto as Latino and Maxamilla Feaster has Native American orgin at my headcanon. And the people from Extras are asian, of course.
,,Do you understand, liberty tends to dystroy things"(Tally Youngblood)

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »

If there is not at least one pretty who is a mashup of every race or at least 3 I will be very disappointed.

Hiss.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »

The fact that Tally's city is where Seattle used to be (ish) probably has something to do with it too.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic