Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Anyone disappointed about the ending?  (Read 1046 times)

IWonderIf

Anyone disappointed about the ending?
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:03 AM »

I just finished Goliath and gee, this series is good. However, I am writing this because the ending just didn't satisfy me. I mean the ending of Goliath. Sure, they work for the zoo now, but I wanted a little more. If you got the same feeling respond below and tell me why. I'd like to see if some other people feel the same. Thanks.  ;D

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Re: Anyone disappointed about the ending?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:51 AM »

Eh, although The Leviathan Trilogy has to be one of my favorite book series if Westerfeld wrote another book for it I would feel like things were dragging or if it were a prequel or  the story from another character(s) perspective it would feel like he did it only to make more money, not for the benefit of the storyline.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:54:47 AM »

I can see what you mean, but I liked the ending. I agree with Julia that another book would make it feel like it was dragging.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

IWonderIf

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48:17 AM »

Eh, although The Leviathan Trilogy has to be one of my favorite book series if Westerfeld wrote another book for it I would feel like things were dragging or if it were a prequel or  the story from another character(s) perspective it would feel like he did it only to make more money, not for the benefit of the storyline.
Are you sure that is just because there was a conclusion?

IWonderIf

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:54:09 AM »

I can also see how Scott attempted to finally give a real ending or some satisfaction with the ending Eddie Malone report but it didn't work for me. Same thing happened to a friend. We both are historical fiction and sci-fi fanatics. So when we read the Leviathan trilogy, we went crazy. However, I just texted messaged him asking about this.He said that he wasn't satisfied.I also just asked some more people and they said they were satisfied. (I'm in a book club at school and we are doing a book study on this trilogy.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:57:16 AM by IWonderIf »

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:36 AM »

Have you read  the afterwards in each book? They clear things up, political world building wise.
Also there's a bonus chapter on Westerfeld's blog.
Search, " Goliath Bonus chapter" and you should find it.

IWonderIf

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:33:51 AM »

What an awkward picture. Thanks so much though, that really helped. I'll tell my friend about it, still though I'd like to know if anyone else was not satisfied. However, I would still like to see more Alek and Deryn, in fact, I am thinking about doing a Costume as Alek and my friend who is a girl (No, we are not girlfriend & boyfriend. Just friends, like we do stuff together, not kiss each other. If I loved her or she loved me, I would've known by now.) be Deryn. If you think about it is just perfect for the roles & all cause it is almost the same story, until they fall in love.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:39:15 AM by IWonderIf »

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:02:32 AM »

XD
I actually thought of doing an Alek and Deryn cosplay with one of my friends a few years back, fell through though.

IWonderIf

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »

XD
I actually thought of doing an Alek and Deryn cosplay with one of my friends a few years back, fell through though.
I imagine it is gonna be hard to just get the materials for the costume.

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:53 AM »

One word: thrift store.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 09:13:02 AM »

My friend was going to throw a Leviathan costume party a while ago, but it got cancelled. I only recently got rid of my half-finished Lilit costume :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »

I wanted it to end in Goliath, but differently ya know? It felt like they were leaving me behind ;_;

Hiss.

Oktavian

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »

I thought that 3 books does not do the world he has built justice. There is too much backstory and too much possiblity for 3 books to be enough. Deryn and Alek's story may have ended, but I hope this world's story has not.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:16 AM »

[WELCOME NEWBIE!]

Also yes, that thing. You put it into words that's exactly how I feel. There's so much we don't know about it that he could easily show us.

Hiss.