Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: A place for Pan to babble about their story  (Read 3570 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
A place for Pan to babble about their story
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »

I feel like I'm clogging other threads with talking (read: complaining) about rewriting my NaNo story and also I wanted to talk about it in more detail so I made a thread because I am excitable and a little narcissistic and procrastinating actually rewriting what
It's about gods and trust responsibility and self-preservation and my thoughts about what I wanted to say about it were coherent when I started this thread but not anymore. There's a mortal guy who is very fond of leafy greens. And a bunch of worldbuilding that I did for the rewrite that I can't believe I wrote a whole draft without. I had no idea what I was doing D:
Anyway. I'm going to go write a bit more and come back when I can form a more coherent description of what this project even is. I just want a babble space and you guys are nice and maybe some of you are interested, I shall see :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

Re: A place for Pan to babble about their story
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »

Okay I think I can be coherent now.

It's about a group of nine gods called Kreah, products of the mortals' needs and desires, to fulfill and to explain.
In the past, there were twelve Kreah. This was before agriculture, and they were the gods of a group of hunter-gatherers. Those twelve Kreah met the needs of the hunter-gatherers just fine, so all was well.
Then the mortals discovered how to grow their own plants for food, and started to settle in towns and even cities. Some of the Kreah weren't relevent anymore, and since there's no use in a god mortals don't need, they began to fade away.
After one faded completely, the other three in danger looked for other ways to stay alive. Being gods didn't necessarily give them integrity, and they prioritized their own survival over everything else. Eventually, they turned to dark forces to preserve themselves. These forces corrupted them and erased what sense of morality they'd had left. They no longer felt anything outside of their desire to be recognized, respected, and above all, to exist.
They were no longer Kreah, a word that applied only to the mortals' own gods. They were called Ettan, Demons, and they were expelled to another dimension to fester in their increacing hatred towards the Kreah who made it through the change.

The story focuses on a new Kreah, the God of the Fields (i.e. agriculture), who showed up after the whole Ettan fiasco and is a little put off by this whole being worshipped thing. Unfortunately, her existence is also what finally pushes the Ettan past the breaking point and gets them to find a way out of their cross-dimensional cage. She's the ultimate symbol of the world moving on, and the Ettan are not happy. And they have been known for being exceptionally resourceful when they want it badly enough. They've already cheated a system in place to keep gods in order, they can do it again.
So the Ettan are out and are seeking revenge on a mortal world that's forgotten them and other gods who abandoned them. And one who is just kind of confused.
And one of the Kreah is on the Ettan's side.

*debates if that was an impactful enough ending line for a mic drop*
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »

That is
Surprisingly consistent, easy to follow, yet interesting.
Oh! And by surprisingly, I don't mean I'm surprised that you came up with something good; I'm just surprised by how good it is in general. If it's anything like that description then I'm sure it'll be a solid, thoroughly enjoyable read.
9/10 would borrow from library based on this blurb.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »

That sounds amazing. I love it. 0.0

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »

Oh good, because two weeks ago I had no idea what the Ettan were :P

- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »

Time for more babble
The (current) Kreah are Viyer (life), Maldis (death), Eyr (hope and good luck), Fahrai (despair and bad luck), Sorah (air/sky), Garan (stone/earth), Ignam (fire), Achine (water), and Niram (agriculture).
The Ettan are Trika (fear), Miran (shelter), and Mayra (abundance). Fayran, hunger/famine, is the one who disappeared.
I just typed out a big long thing and then realized it was pretty spoilery and deleted it all. Which is too bad because I'm really proud of myself for coming up with it
Um. On a non-spoilery note, there are certain roles and relationships between Kreah that tend to recur between reincarnations of the gods (Viyer is the boss (though he's never reincarnated, so maybe that doesn't count), Sorah and Ignam are usually romantically involved and when one dies the other usually follows, Eyr an Fahrai virtually never get along), but others that are unique to each generation (the current Viyer is like a father figure to Niram, the current Garan is in love with the (much older) Achine, Eyr and Fahrai have gotten into the habit of calling each other brother and sister because this generation reincarnated together).
...that was much less interesting information than the first thing I wrote :P

On an unrelated note, I've been thinking of adding short in-between chapters telling the story of the Ettan in more detail, with their going from dying gods to "healthy" demons lining up with the reveal of the traitor (because dramatic timing and also so I can show them meeting/talking with said traitor in the flashbacks without needing to be super vague).

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »

Okay the phrase 'going from dying Gods to healthy demons' is enough to write a book about in itself :D
As for the mini stories, one thing that I tried with one of my drafts was having a page before every chapter dedicated to dictionary definitions, lines of scripture, quotes from influential people etc. so that people could gradually learn more as they went. Like, you could explain a God and a demon before every chapter?

Hiss.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »

The idea of the in-between chapters was less the necessity of information for the current story and more that the background story is becoming more and more interesting the more I flesh it out but it's not really a long enough thing for a seperate prequel. Also I've been wanting to try weaving stories since I read Afterworlds and this could be my chance

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »

DO IT. DO IT FOR THE VINE.

Hiss.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »

HOW DO I DO IT IN SIX SECONDS THOUGH

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »

DO IT IN FIVE.

Hiss.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »

I CAN'T WRITE A NOVEL IN FIVE SECONDS. IT TAKES LONGER THAN FIVE SECONDS

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »

YOU WILL DIE OR EXALT. BECOME LEGEND.

Hiss.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »

I DON'T WANNA DIE

- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »

THEN EXALT. FULFILL YOUR DESTINY.

Hiss.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13