Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: A long way home RP  (Read 5217 times)

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
Re: A long way home RP
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:29 AM »

Eric returned the bow and then held out his hand for a shake. "Welcome aboard the USS Forschen." The Forschen was a rather small ship, 225 meters long and 33.5 meters high with a beam of 135. She was slightly cramped for the taller crew members and rooms were designed with little in the way of creature comforts, but the design was stable and tough.

Time Blitz

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 11:39:37 AM »

Yalia shook his hand, noticing the cramped conditions. It was much smaller than a Melkane ship of similar class...but Melkanes were larger anyway.

"thank you. She is a very nice vessel. I am honored to be aboard."

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »

"And we are honored to have you aboard. If you would like we could take a tour of the ship or exchange information of our two species."

Time Blitz

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »

"Perhaps we can do both. I am very eager to learn of your species."

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 03:10:39 AM »

"I think that can be arranged." He said with a smile and a nod. "Perhaps we can start with our warp engine?"

Time Blitz

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 03:33:16 AM »

"very well, we shall follow. I suppose I should start with my own species. We are from a desert planet, Melk, three thousand light years away from this colony. The planet is high in what you call silicone, allowing my species to develop and thrive. We are what are called 'tanks' by your people...however, our cybernetics and the nanobots that have a symbiotic relationship with us allow us to transform into a more humanoid form, which is useful for diplomatic events with more humanoid beings. As for our type of government, we are a military empire. Our highest commander is elected by a council of Generals...these Generals are called High Generals and remain as a parliament-like entity. We have over 100 systems colonized currently."

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 04:55:39 AM »

"Fascinating, we experienced a time of military rule after a world war before the invention of the warp drive in 2063 when we unified the world governments under a doctrine of peace only possible through the new resources warp drive allowed us to acquire. We currently maintain 31 human colonies and a multitude of inter-species colonies with races we encountered nearly 90 years ago after the first warp flight. In all, the Central Government is comprised of 4 species that coexist in the name of bettering ourselves for the sake of peace." He approached a double sliding door, hit a button and it opened into the engineering bay, a two deck room with a large oval shaped device in the center with the ends cut off and two meter wide pipes branching off and running through the bulkhead. "In order to travel faster than the speed of light, or ships utilize a matter, anti-matter reaction on the subatomic scale in this reactor"he motioned to the device in the middle of the bay, "to generate massive amounts of energy. Enough for our warp nacelles to create a warp field around the ship. This field constricts the space in front of the ship and expands the space behind it allowing for faster than light travel, this engine is capable of warp 5.2 max but we are due for a refit to a warp 7 engine once its been approved for deep space use."

Time Blitz

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 05:15:37 AM »

"Interesting. Melkane faster-than-light technology utilizes a combination of hot-fusion/anti-matter drives and a device we call an Enaach Drive. The Enaach Drive creates a singularity which forces our ships in and out of normal space. Although slightly slower than our warp drives, it allows us to change direction at will at speeds faster than light, instead of the fixed coordinates needed for warp. Our most nonmilitary craft can usually reach Warp 8 safely, however our military craft are able to exceed Warp 12, although I am unable to disclose their top speed."

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »

"Of course. I do have a question about your species though. From our understanding of how life originates and evolves I'm curious how your species came to be without any organic parts."

Time Blitz

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

"Our home world contained many silicates, with constant geological activity causing many layers of silicone and other materials to overlap. A species of microscopic life carved tunnels and produced electricity in these layers of silicone, allowing for primitive circuit boards and eventually, AI to form. After many centuries of refinement, the Melkane species arose."

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »

"Fascinating, we encountered a similar phenomena where a entire planet was split between two primitive personalities. We still have a science vessel attempting to study the planet to this day." Eric exited the engineering bay and began walking down the corridor to the stellar cartography lab. "If you would like we can exchange star charts and borders so we know exactly where our space ends and yours begins."

Time Blitz

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »

"I'll have one of my aids transfer it directly to your computers, if that's ok." she smiled, highly interested in them.

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »

"Excellent, we'll I'm sure we have taken up enough of your time. I would like to request a tour of your vessel if that is acceptable, my ship will continue with our surveys and data gathering for the next few hours so me and my senior staff are available."

Time Blitz

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »

"Of course. Would you like to board the transport with us?"

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »

"Absolutely. May my science officer accompany us?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13