Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Truth  (Read 866 times)

Gentlebiscuit

Truth
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:07 PM »

So I was reading an Ask Deryn blog and found this gem;

ME:   Huh, fanfic about Deryn and Alek actually doing shit as a couple. This should be interesting, the books never really explored their relationship beyond pining after each other and left the nature of their romance up to interpretation
FANFIC:   "...Deryn had filled out wonderfully in the past couple of weeks, her curves becoming more voluptuous and-"
ME:   hello mr president its me again fanfiction needs to go.

Is it just me or does every fanfic writer give Deryn the same treatment?

Hiss.

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
Re: Truth
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:22:26 AM »

I've never liked the super sexualized Leviathan fanfic because it feels so wrong in comparison to the series, it's not like that at all The Goliath has some innuendo and that's fine but the series isn't explicit.

It wasn't intended to be, that's why one of the reasons stuff like this bothers me.

It's one thing when the original source has more mature themes But it's another thing when It doesn't and the fanfiction does.

A couple other things that I don't like about fanficion like this is that turns well developed characters into one dimensional sex objects and e
The description in this makes Deryn's cannon build childlike / underdeveloped because she doesn't have large breasts or large thighs.

The sexism and body shaming sickens me.

One of the reasons I love the Leviathan Trilogy is because it's about two characters who fall in love and don't lose track of who they are as people. 

Fanficion like this gos in the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:59:36 AM by Julia The Bookworm »

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 08:26:10 AM »

http://askderynsharp.tumblr.com/ the latest post on this blog says pretty much my opinion on it

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

*pokes head in*

Honestly, I get what you're saying about fanfic, but the point and the beauty of fanfiction is that it allows people to diverge from the themes of the source material and reimagine it to fit what's important to them in their writing and what they want to see. A lot of times amateur fanfic writers, especially when they're writing more M-rated stuff, sound kind of tacky when they describe characters bodies or sexual development, but hey, most of them are first time writers exploring their writing (and probably their own sexual desires in many cases) through writing with characters they already know.

I haven't read Leviathan fanfiction though, only once or twice and it wasn't anything remotely smutty or shippy, so I can't speak for how bad it is.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »

There is a lot of really good Levi fanfic out there, take that crazy aunties thread from a while back that was AMAZING but if it ever goes shippy Deryn goes up like a half dozen cup sizes.
BUT DON'T WORRY SHE TOTALLY PASSES AS A DUDE.
TOTALLY.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »

Crazy aunties?

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 02:11:54 AM »

http://scottwesterfeld.com/forum/index.php?topic=16706.0