Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Missing Black Woman Formation  (Read 5432 times)

BeautifullyUgly

Missing Black Woman Formation
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:48:07 PM »

It now exists on Google.

You know how in So Yesterday, people start dismissing what Jen says because it's not on Google?

Well. Thanks to the lovely Scott Westerfeld, when you go to Google and type in "missing black woman" it shows up at the bottom of the list of suggestions. (you do have to type in most of it but STILL! you get a ton of hits now)

SWEETNESS.

Certainly he can be considered an Innovator himself, for that alone.

BeautifullyUgly

Re: Missing Black Woman Formation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:17:08 PM »

It now exists on Google.

You know how in So Yesterday, people start dismissing what Jen says because it's not on Google?

Well. Thanks to the lovely Scott Westerfeld, when you go to Google and type in "missing black woman" it shows up at the bottom of the list of suggestions. (you do have to type in most of it but STILL! you get a ton of hits now)

SWEETNESS.

Certainly he can be considered an Innovator himself, for that alone.

scroll down

http://scottwesterfeld.com/forum/index.php?topic=396.msg83599#msg83599

Yeah, I saw that before I posted this thread.

However that really has nothing to do with it, I'm only saying here that because of this book it now exists as a term. Not as an idea so much, but as a term that is widely recognized.

BeautifullyUgly

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »

yeah

Token Black Guy = Missing Black Woman

You know I totally got that the first time I saw it, but thanks for the rerun.

You don't understand; I'm saying he coined the TERM and that the TERM "missing blacvk woman formation" now shows up on Google.

I'm not saying he made up the fucking idea (though he did get people to see it in a new way). Can we get past this please?

Tabac vie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

It is really cool that it's now on google...even if it's been on there before as the token black kid it is now on there as Missing Black Woman Fornmation....so Scott invented a new way of looking at it...not just in jokes and sitcoms but in a way for people to really look at it....sure it was out there before but he created a new audience for it.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl